• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
2900 was from the 2000 series, Ergo, An even number.

5900 was before my time sadly, The 8800 series was awesome but the refresh afterwards i.e 9000 series, Was better, Odd number :p .
Anyway what I'm getting at is waiting for the 2nd iteration of an architecture is a wiser move as the companies understand the manufacturing process that much more and can optimize things better than before.

Yeah, just having a laugh - though oops on the 2900 reference!

:)

I'd say 3700 series, but they weren't too bad. Except in crossfire, where they were pathetic :D

Soldato
Finally some proper upgrades, the stuff we had this year has been incremental, a few percent here and their. I'm saving my money up for next year. This is what I will swap to next year.

GTX 780 > GTX 880 'Maxwell'
4770K 4 core CPU > Haswell-E 8 core CPU
DDR3 > DDR4
You sure they are not gonna just launch smaller die mid/high range as a high-end x70/x80 and hold back the proper high-end to wait for AMD launch, then they release what's suppose had been 870, 880, 880Ti, 885, and 885Ti and so on? :D

I mean looking at the GK104...that's worked REALLY well for Nvidia (in terms of revenue) :p

Caporegime
You sure they are not gonna just launch smaller die mid/high range as a high-end x70/x80 and hold back the proper high-end to wait for AMD launch, then they release what's suppose had been 870, 880, 880Ti, 885, and 885Ti and so on? :D

I mean looking at the GK104...that's worked REALLY well for Nvidia (in terms of revenue) :p

If AMD release sub standard cards/drivers again, I see no reason why not :p

Permabanned
Well, Nvidia have some great tech.

They just need to learn to play fair with it. I don't think locking into vendor for features is going to benefit them much in the long run.

I want both AMD and Nvidia to remain strong. A market without either wouldn't be very nice.

On a similar note, I'd love AMD to get a lot stronger in the CPU department again against Intel.

That much is true,I agree but to play devils advocate....

AMD have the consoles now and will do very well make no mistake but does that not mean Nvidia now have to rely on the tech they own more than ever. I know its not great for everyone but they need to focus on their main source of income which is the GPU division and to have something that AMD does not gives them a better selling point.

I'm not saying this is wrong or right just thats how I see it

Soldato
Most of nvidias latest features do run on both sets of cards, of course then they get accused of deliberately sabotaging AMDs performance despite when you disable one of these features you get the same percentage improvement on both sets of hardware

Associate
Think I will wait for 900 series either way. But I have been happy with the recent price stabilising with 700 series and as long as both nvidia and amd keep a challenge I am a happy shopper.

Soldato
Most of nvidias latest features do run on both sets of cards, of course then they get accused of deliberately sabotaging AMDs performance despite when you disable one of these features you get the same percentage improvement on both sets of hardware

Please let's leave that topic in the other thread :)

G-sync is not multi vendor.

Physx is still locked down for most part.

They make it hard to use 3d nicely on anything other than their screens.

Soldato
OP

Well either way you look at that, if a smaller die is faster than 780ti and Titan in the same way the 680 was faster than the GTX 580, than I'm sure it would be welcomed. I have a feeling AMD will be coming guns blazing with Pirates Islands, so I doubt Nvidia could get away with another mid / smaller die offering to tackle AMD's new high end. I imagine both camps will release nice upgrade to current cards. A lot of rumors of the first iteration of new architecture 28nm cards in Q1/Q2, with later revision coming on 20nm in Q4..

Hopefully Nvidia's event over the weekend will finally shed some light on the 20nm situation..

Personally I'm holding out until later this year / early next year before an upgrade, I want 20nm and a decent 8 core from Intel or AMD if/when they do launch something new... You never know with Mantle, might not even need an upgrade...

Associate
Well if it's 28nm with strong performance it would be a mid range/large die monster. Which doesn't make sense. I recall nVidia presentation some time ago where it was stated the rising cost of manufacture made early transition to a new smaller lithography less worthwhile so perhaps instigating a further change in house beyond releasing a mid sized/mid-high perf die first (680).
Whatever does come out would be some sort of hedge bet compact design for 28nm in the lower perf bracket.

Soldato
OP
NVIDIA Maxwell, Denver CPU, Shield 2 and Tegra 5 Announcements Expected Tomorrow At CES 2014

NVIDIA would hold their CES 2014 Conference tomorrow at the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Las Vegas announcing new technologies such as their brand new Tegra 5 mobile SOC, new gaming technologies under the Gameworks brand and possibly unveiling new details regarding their Maxwell GPUs and Denver CPU.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-...d-tomorrow-ces-2014-conference/#ixzz2pQxmYvmR

Associate
Well I look forward to the announcements, but from these rumours/speculations it seems likely that Nvidia won't be releasing 20nm process chips until 2015 which is quite disappointing as we've been on 28nm for quite some time now and it should be time to move on.

As for the GTX-790 rumours, I find it unlikely that Nvidia will release this just before launching Maxwell in March (if the rumours are true), but I suppose if it's true that they are only releasing the lower end Maxwell cards first and then the GTX-880 on a 20nm process in early 2015, then it does make a bit of sense for Nvidia to release the 790 early this year - but I still find it unlikely. The only reason for them to release a 790 is to take over AMDs 7990 as king of the single PCB, dual GPU cards.

Associate
I'm looking for a gpu to buy but I'm tempted to wait. Do you guys think itl be worth it ? And in terms of performance will a £380 maxwell card beat the 780 ?

Soldato
Yeah im now getting tempted to wait. my 7970 holds up well. But I'll need something to keep me hooked before i slip up and buy a 780ti.

I'm quite excited for the 20nm cards from both vendors. Its been a bit bleak these last few years. just standard small % increases. We're now moving to 4k, VR, mantle, etc.

Maybe we'll get a couple of generations of innovation and see some interesting new things come to the table.

Soldato
http://videocardz.com/48633/nvidia-geforce-gtx-880m-rebranded-gtx-780m-8gb-memory

No Maxwell. Meaning likely no Maxwell till the previously predicted Q4

8GB VRAM though :)

Apparently the leaked roadmap from Clevo was a spot on. The GeForce GTX 880M has indeed 8GB memory.

Cloudfire has shared a link with me containing possibly all information about the GTX 880M you might be interested in.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M is rebranded GTX 780M
First of all, GTX 880M will not be using Maxwell architecture. There is no shocker here. Mobile series have their year-to-year cycle, which is dictated by the partnership with notebook manufacturers. They simply need new graphics cards every year. What is shocking though is that NVIDIA won’t be using GK110 with this one. I think it’s because Kepler GK110 is possibly too powerful for a laptop, at least in terms of battery usage, NVIDIA decided to use GK104 (yet again) for their mobile flagship. What does it mean exactly? It means that NVIDIA will using the same GPU continuously for three series:

GeForce GTX 680MX
GeForce GTX 780M
GeForce GTX 880M
All of them have GK104 with 1536 CUDA cores. Of course there was 680M, but still it was the Gk104, only from desktop 670. So what does it mean exactly. It means that NVIDIA might still be holding a faster GeForce GTX 880MX for later, possibly equipped with GK110 GPU. If not, then I find this quite unfortunate to reuse the same GPU for three flagship models (seriously NVIDIA?).

The biggest improvement over previous flagships is obviously the memory size. NVIDIA has been doubling the frame buffer ever since and decided to go for 8GB with the latest GTX 880M. I’m not sure who really needs it, especially with 256-bit interface, but it’s surely a good marketing stunt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom