• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Caporegime
Not sure on AMD's profit margins with the consoles but it was a good coup for them. As for nVidia, their main income is GPU's (hence why they are putting so much effort into them). Tegra is costing them money and I can't see shield doing well.

The shoe is heading for the other foot possibly and like Besty said... A couple of gens will show more so.

Soldato
Well, Nvidia have some great tech.

They just need to learn to play fair with it. I don't think locking into vendor for features is going to benefit them much in the long run.

I want both AMD and Nvidia to remain strong. A market without either wouldn't be very nice.

On a similar note, I'd love AMD to get a lot stronger in the CPU department again against Intel.

Man of Honour
There was a good analyst's report on this out a few weeks ago.

Due to their PC CPU income and console GPU design wins, in the short to medium term, AMD's gross margins in the PC GPU market don't need to rise. All AMD need to do is maintain performance parity with NVIDIA in the PC GPU market, this will strangle NVidia's R&D spend as they need higher margins.

We might not see it's affects for two more generations however, in simpler terms, AMD can afford to keep knocking out cheaper PC cards than Nvidia and Nvidia cannot.

If Nvidia can deliver GPU's which are much faster than AMD's then, back to square one (see: Titan vs. 7970, $1000USD vs $350USD part).

Maxwell is a much more important generation of chip than the 680/780 generation were for above reasons.

People tend to underestimate nVidia's other markets, they still make a fair bit from professional GPUs/server/supercomputer, IP, etc. otherwise people like Charlie would be much more on the money with their comments if they were entirely as reliant on the consumer PC market as some make out.

Caporegime
Well, Nvidia have some great tech.

They just need to learn to play fair with it. I don't think locking into vendor for features is going to benefit them much in the long run.

I want both AMD and Nvidia to remain strong. A market without either wouldn't be very nice.

On a similar note, I'd love AMD to get a lot stronger in the CPU department again against Intel.

Yer, I would also like to see OpenGL pushed more from both parties, as it has a lot more to offer and is open as open can be.

My last AMD cpu was the Athlon 64 (iirc) and that was superb but since then, there hasn't been anything worth buying, even at its cheapness.

Caporegime
Not sure on AMD's profit margins with the consoles but it was a good coup for them. As for nVidia, their main income is GPU's (hence why they are putting so much effort into them). Tegra is costing them money and I can't see shield doing well.

Its easy to workout.

Last available figures (pre Christmas)

2.1m xBox One sold with $110 per unit going to AMD
2.7m PS4 with $100 per unit going to AMD
4.8m Wii U with $40 per unit going to AMD

xBox One revenue = $231m
PS4 revenue = $270m
Wii U revenue = $192m

Total = $693m, this is 2 Weeks after the xBox One launch, its likely to be much higher now.

Profit margins are unknow, but manufacturing costs on the xBox One and PS4 would be about $30 to $60 each, $20 for the Wii U, add that to sundry costs and we are talking about $200m pure profits on that, very roughly.

About $1bn a year profit.

Soldato
OP
Hahaha SemiAccurate throwing their toys out the pram, as they once again get ignored by nVidia. I look forward to the next article they come up with that is completely unbiased about them. :o

I do hope some info gets leaked out from somewhere :)

Haha, yeah that guy is clearly a bit mental, but at least we have different sources pointing to Nvidia releasing some Maxwell info soon. Really looking forward to Nvidia's Maxwell, I have read a lot of interesting things... More than just a die shrink.. Access to system memory etc, potential on board CPU cores..

Haswell -E and Maxwell in 2014, awesome.

Caporegime
Haha, yeah that guy is clearly a bit mental, but at least we have different sources pointing to Nvidia releasing some Maxwell info soon. Really looking forward to Nvidia's Maxwell, I have read a lot of interesting things... More than just a die shrink.. Access to system memory etc, potential on board CPU cores..

Haswell -E and Maxwell in 2014, awesome.

I can see me hanging onto this 3930K for a couple of years. Simply the best CPU I have ever used. Maxwell does have me intrigued and using an ARM GPPC chip built in will be very interesting.

Soldato
I can see me hanging onto this 3930K for a couple of years. Simply the best CPU I have ever used. Maxwell does have me intrigued and using an ARM GPPC chip built in will be very interesting.

I wish I had never dumped my 3930K.

Went through bit of a mad phase 2012. Buying awesome hardware, selling at loss. Getting awesome 3770K and killing when delidding. God alone knows how many AMD cards I bought. Was just insane.

Can't wait for my birthday this year, as I have decided that's when my GPU upgrades will happen in future. Though I do love these 780's, if I get a 3440x1440 ultra-wide monitor, I'll be hitting VRAM limits by 2015 (maybe sooner)

Soldato
OP

I've just downgraded my rig, mainly due to serious over spending at Xmas / new year, need to re coup some funds asap lol, gaming on PS4 more now, not so much PC tbh (Except BF4) so thought an easy way to recoup some money back, sold my 4770K on MM and put my 290X on MM now as well, soon my 1TB SSD..

I'm looking to build an entire new PC either late 2014 or early 2015, CPU (8 core Haswell -E or AMD CPU when / if AMD launch new chips), mobo, GPU, case, and prob 4K screen :p the whole lot lol.

Hopefully this Xeon 1230V2, HD 7950 + Mantle on BF4 will see me through until then.. Actually this Xeon chip is surprisingly fast..

Last edited:
Associate
I'm very excited for Sunday then, if Nvidia do announce (or tease) specifications for Maxwell. The integrated ARM chip is intriguing and I look forward to seeing the performance increases due to this.

It's more than likely that I will purchase a GTX-880 (or 880 TI) when they reach the market, my 780 already struggles with maxing out the more intensive titles at 1440p (e.g. Crysis 3 with it's framerate killing anti-aliasing and pixel accurate displacement mapping).

Soldato
I'm very excited for Sunday then, if Nvidia do announce (or tease) specifications for Maxwell. The integrated ARM chip is intriguing and I look forward to seeing the performance increases due to this.

It's more than likely that I will purchase a GTX-880 (or 880 TI) when they reach the market, my 780 already struggles with maxing out the more intensive titles at 1440p (e.g. Crysis 3 with it's framerate killing anti-aliasing and pixel accurate displacement mapping).

Or you could just get another cheap 780 from the MM and wait for the 2nd iteration of maxwell next year which will be a better refined maxwell architecture with any kinks ironed out.

Soldato
Don't have access to MM yet unfortunately, but yes - I will wait for a while after the 880 launches to see the feedback it gets.

Personally I'd stick with the 780, Move to an SLI setup and then get the 9xx series next year.
One thing I've learned is to only get every 2nd generation of high end GPU's because then the performance increase is actually a wow factor, The architecture is vastly improved and new features :)

Associate
Personally I'd stick with the 780, Move to an SLI setup and then get the 9xx series next year.
One thing I've learned is to only get every 2nd generation of high end GPU's because then the performance increase is actually a wow factor, The architecture is vastly improved and new features :)

Good point, but if any of these rumours are somewhat true then Maxwell could be in line to be quite a big performance increase over Kepler. But if I can get another 780 for fairly cheap (£300 or less) then I will go for that and wait for the 900 series (or maybe I'd even wait for Volta in a few years time with its stacked DRAM).

Soldato
Good point, but if any of these rumours are somewhat true then Maxwell could be in line to be quite a big performance increase over Kepler. But if I can get another 780 for fairly cheap (£300 or less) then I will go for that and wait for the 900 series (or maybe I'd even wait for Volta in a few years time with its stacked DRAM).

I only have 1 rule when it comes to buying any and all hardware, Never buy the first generation of the new architecture be it GPU's or CPU's, Has served me well so far :)

*EDIT* Noticed in your sig you have a watercooled rig yet only clocked your 4770K at 4.20GHZ, I have mine at 4.65GHZ and I'm only on a H100i, Get clocking !!!

Last edited:
Soldato
People tend to underestimate nVidia's other markets, they still make a fair bit from professional GPUs/server/supercomputer, IP, etc. otherwise people like Charlie would be much more on the money with their comments if they were entirely as reliant on the consumer PC market as some make out.

That is true, I concede that but the mindset battle and the overall position in the market is fought in the consumer market as it unlocks other doors.

Associate
I only have 1 rule when it comes to buying any and all hardware, Never buy the first generation of the new architecture be it GPU's or CPU's, Has served me well so far :)

*EDIT* Noticed in your sig you have a watercooled rig yet only clocked your 4770K at 4.20GHZ, I have mine at 4.65GHZ and I'm only on a H100i, Get clocking !!!

Indeed, guess I made that mistake in July last year when I bought my 780 - only a couple of months later it dropped in price by around £200. Oh well, I've had good experiences with it anyway so I didn't mind paying £600 for it - but it is slightly irritating when it drops by so much in so little time.

And, lol yep, I will get around to overclocking my 4770K to around 4.6GHz soon but I find that 4.2 is good for what I'm doing at the moment.

Soldato
Indeed, guess I made that mistake in July last year when I bought my 780 - only a couple of months later it dropped in price by around £200. Oh well, I've had good experiences with it anyway so I didn't mind paying £600 for it - but it is slightly irritating when it drops by so much in so little time.

And, lol yep, I will get around to overclocking my 4770K to around 4.6GHz soon but I find that 4.2 is good for what I'm doing at the moment.

I don't think you made a mistake at all, The 700 series is the last Kepler based GPU line before Maxwell so all the kinks are ironed out so it is a very good purchase, Anyway you should never go with even numbers when it comes to GPU's, Always the odd ones are best :p

Soldato
ATI 4850/4870 were brilliant
ATI 2900 stank

Nvidia 5900 stank
Nvidia 8800 rocked

:D

2900 was from the 2000 series, Ergo, An even number.

5900 was before my time sadly, The 8800 series was awesome but the refresh afterwards i.e 9000 series, Was better, Odd number :p .
Anyway what I'm getting at is waiting for the 2nd iteration of an architecture is a wiser move as the companies understand the manufacturing process that much more and can optimize things better than before.

Back
Top Bottom