• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Caporegime
Advise someone looks at varied benches, a 780TI is sometimes slightly less and sometimes same and sometimes faster than 2x670/680's.

Cannot load 2013 GPU's page with 2014 GPU's page so 690 vs 780Ti is near enough.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1072?vs=1184

If you look at the GTX 770 vs the GTX 780TI the difference is about 40 or 45%, intrestingly the GTX 770 is also higher clocked than the 690.

One of two things, either Anand have not updated the 690 performance in line with driver updates or its throttling.
i suspects its a bit of both. not to mention SLI scaling.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1072?vs=1037

Pretty sure Fiji isnt a maxwell name btw, Try and stay OT people and not turn this into another nvidia vs AMD thread

Right, its not, And Its just a bit of debate :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread << not future AMD cards :p

I know its not a vs/flamewar thread Yet its why i asked to keep it OT before it drifted off :)

Soldato
OP
Patiently waiting for Titan II..

:p

4000 GCN cores with the same memory interface/ROPs as Hawaii vs. 4000 maxwell cores with an upgraded memory bus and more ROPs (compared to GK110) wouldn't even be a competition unfortunately.

You would hope that was the case if Nvidia are going to justify a Titan branding and price again. That 390X is looking like no slouch either.

Right, its not, And Its just a bit of debate :)

Agreed, I made the thread and along with Maxwell discussion, debating between the cards is what it is for. As long as it doesn't turn into fanboy stuff. It's fine. You carry on Humbug.

390X looks like a monster from the rumoured spec, likewise the Titan II..

Looking forward to when these new cards finally arrive !

Last edited:
Soldato
I find it quite hard to believe that Nvidia wont release a reasonably high end graphics card by the end of this year or very early next year. The 780 was released in May 2013 and the 780Ti coming out in November 2013, so if the 800 series came out in october 2015 that would leave a two year gap between generations, something I doubt Nvidia will want to do at all

Last edited:
Soldato
First of all why are you looking for GPU news on a kdrama site.

Secondly, it's just the same rumours already discussed here rehashed with even worse sources.

Ignore.

Associate
I am fairly sure that we will see some new Nvidia cards within the next few months. Manufacturing partners seem to have cancelled their 6GB 780Ti plans (see EVGA support thread) strongly signifying the release of some new cards fairly soon, I don't really keep up to date with any of the finer details with TSMC but the above is good evidence for "imminent" releases anyway. Of course, anything within the next few months won't be 20nm or lower lithography process, but if the performance gains (if any, the new cards could be mid-range to replace the 760-770?) are significant then it doesn't really matter either way.

Man of Honour
Surprised we haven't seen some more solid details, nVidia usually start to put some information out around the end of June with a Q3/4 GPU launch coming up.

Associate
You'd have thought nvidia would want to have their next cards releasing around the time of Intel's X99 platform, as people who'll be buying into that platform are likely to also be people who'll buy a top end graphics card too.

As for AMD info being off topic, I actually believe it is relevant. If AMD don't release something soon or push nvidia then nvidia will just hold back and when the do release you've got the whole price gouging that then happens too.

Anyhow, my point is holdups for either brand is bad for us as the consumers. Unfortunately issues with TMSC processes etc aren't something they can do much about.

Caporegime
You'd have thought nvidia would want to have their next cards releasing around the time of Intel's X99 platform, as people who'll be buying into that platform are likely to also be people who'll buy a top end graphics card too.

As for AMD info being off topic, I actually believe it is relevant. If AMD don't release something soon or push nvidia then nvidia will just hold back and when the do release you've got the whole price gouging that then happens too.

Anyhow, my point is holdups for either brand is bad for us as the consumers. Unfortunately issues with TMSC processes etc aren't something they can do much about.

Not me, to be frank, and i don't think AMD will respond in a knee jerk reaction like that, i want AMD to release GPU's when they have refinement and drivers ecte; all just so, when they are good and ready.

Its not AMD's job to hold down Nvidia prices, if a perspective buyer only has eye's for Nvidia then they should pay whatever Nvidia ask and not complain about it.

I just bought my new GPU a few months ago, i'm happy with it for a long while yet.

Associate
Not me, to be frank, and i don't think AMD will respond in a knee jerk reaction like that, i want AMD to release GPU's when they have refinement and drivers ecte; all just so, when they are good and ready.

Its not AMD's job to hold down Nvidia prices, if a perspective buyer only has eye's for Nvidia then they should pay whatever Nvidia ask and not complain about it.

I just bought my new GPU a few months ago, i'm happy with it for a long while yet.

No I don't mean kneejerk reactions I just mean healthy competition between the two forces progress, keeps prices under control etc. which is good for us the end user.

If maxwell is only delayed due to TMSC then that's ok, not much can be done about that.

Caporegime
No I don't mean kneejerk reactions I just mean healthy competition between the two forces progress, keeps prices under control etc. which is good for us the end user.

If maxwell is only delayed due to TMSC then that's ok, not much can be done about that.

Yeah, i'm not sure there is much competition. it seems to me Nvidia can charge what they like and get away with it these days, even reviewers do little more than have a 5 minute timid whiny moan and then go back to pandering to the highest bidder, who ever they might be at the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
sweclockers seem to think that maxwell will be 28nm and released in Q4, most likely in October or November, and will be 28nm: http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/19...nya-grafikkort-i-prestandaklassen-till-hosten

Google isn't the best at translating the article, but according to wccfetch, that article is a proper, authentic confirmation that maxwell will definitely be out by November. You can decide whether the difference is due to a poor translation at my end by google, or the usual wccfetch exaggeration: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-release-date-gtx-880-gtx-870-october-november/#ixzz37lBw6iR7

Soldato
If true and AMD dont have a reply ready and waiting, These things are going to be really expensive.

Consumers need to talk with their wallets but they will sell by the bucket load I'd imagine.

Back
Top Bottom