• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
OP
Nvidia Maxwell Flagship GTX 880 and GTX 870 Release Date Confirmed – Coming this November

Source > Sweclockers.com > Translated > WCCF Tech

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-release-date-gtx-880-gtx-870-october-november/#ixzz37lJrU9pr

After a long wait, we have finally received the first authentic confirmation of the Nvidia Flagship GPUs set to release in 2014. To be clear, we are definitely not looking at 20nm GPUs, instead its the same 28nm node with the advanced Second Generation Maxwell Architecture. The source of the leak is the insanely reliable

Soldato
OP
I'm probably more excited than I should be, I'm just a sucker for anything new. Although 4GB Vram on a 256bit bus? that can't utilize it all right?

It will still utilize it in some scenarios, in the sense that some games now require the extra vram 3GB/4GB+ just to enabled max texture settings etc. In terms of going higher resolution, a 384/512 bit bus would have been better. I think it's more a case of trying to improve performance whilst not using more power, the restriction of another gen on 28nm. So up the core / transistor count and lower memory bus to reduce power. These will likely be great cards for 1080P and 1440P, but not 4K. Although we still don't know how the extra cache will effect things. GTX 750Ti has reduced memory 128 bus bus still does ok VS 192 bit bus cards due to it's large cache design. Maybe Nvidia found a way to do this with 256 bit bus? Save power while doing it..

The bigger cards will likely come on 20nm/16nm. Then we should see all the cores and large memory bus in one package.

Last edited:
Soldato
It will still utilize it in some scenarios, in the sense that some games now require the extra vram 3GB/4GB+ just to enabled max texture settings etc. In terms of going higher resolution, a 384/512 bit bus would have been better. I think it's more a case of trying to improve performance whilst not using more power, the restriction of another gen on 28nm. So up the core / transistor count and lower memory bus to reduce power. These will likely be great cards for 1080P and 1440P, but not 4K. Although we still don't know how the extra cache will effect things. GTX 750Ti has reduced memory 128 bus bus still does ok VS 192 bit bus cards due to it's large cache design. Maybe Nvidia found a way to do this with 256 bit bus? Save power while doing it..

The bigger cards will likely come on 20nm/16nm. Then we should see all the cores and large memory bus in one package.

I wonder the same boom if Nvidia has gone back to a 256 bus i hope they have got some new idea so it performs aswell or better then a 384 bus but i have no idea how :)
Hmm could they just shove much faster ram on so the bandwidth is still ok? or do we already know the ram speed?

Soldato
OP
I was going to grab a 1440p monitor with a 780 later this year, but i might still do so. or would the 256bit be oK?

If you're ok to wait a while, I would definitely wait until after Nvidia and AMD launch new cards towards the end of the year. We will see price shift on the current stack, plus the new cards might surprise us in performance.

I wonder the same boom if Nvidia has gone back to a 256 bus i hope they have got some new idea so it performs aswell or better then a 384 bus but i have no idea how :)
Hmm could they just shove much faster ram on so the bandwidth is still ok? or do we already know the ram speed?

Yeah exactly, this new Maxwell design, with the extra cache, we just won't know how it performs until we see benchmarks. It's quite a change from Kepler so no one can really say how it's going to perform. Same goes for AMD, we don't really know if they have something high end planned before the end of the year. They could both surprise us..

Soldato
boomstick, I literally posted that two posts before you :p

if you read the sweclockers article there is no mention of it being confirmed anywhere (although that could be google being a rubbish translator). There is also no specific date, just Q4 2014

Soldato
OP
boomstick, I literally posted that two posts before you :p

if you read the sweclockers article there is no mention of it being confirmed anywhere (although that could be google being a rubbish translator). There is also no specific date, just Q4 2014

Haha, I just looked. It was on the page before so never noticed it bud.

Yeah, Sweclockers have got lot's of things right in the past so confident we'll see new cards at some point in Q4.

Last edited:
Associate
Perfect time to upgrade from my 7870 then, if I can afford it :/. Alternatively I could go with a 780ti when the prices come down.

I know that nobody knows how much these things will cost yet, but what sort of price range do new generation GPUs tend to fall in at release date? Give me a ballpark figure.

Caporegime
Soldato
I think OCing will not be a strong suit for these 28nm Maxwells, remember NV considered this arch wasted even on 20nm and it was designed with that in mind. They will however provide a nice bump to the mid-high end and should allow plenty of people to get full fat GK110-like performance for a reasonable price.

Associate
True that, then in 6 months this will be re-spun for 20nm and sold as a midrange card :p While the high end cards will come out at an even higher price point than this launched at in the first place. The wonderful world of GPU price fleecing :D

Yeah I guess I'll probably wait to see how performance compares to the current cards before diving in, but I'm probably too impatient to wait for the high-end cards.

Either way I better start saving.

bru

bru

Soldato
http://videocardz.com/51078/nvidia-geforce-gtx-880-arrives-gamescom

Seems like gamescom it is then. FSE score looking rather tame. Highest water score in OcUK single GPU table is 6958 (290X), air 6363 (780) for reference.

Fair enough but what are the lowest scores, or better yet stock scores, what about 5000 maybe 5200 stock. All of a sudden 6578 is looking not too shabby at all, 20-25% faster.

There is no way of knowing if that score is stock or overclocked or on air LN2 or what, assuming its genuine at all.

I cannot see Nvidia launching a new card with a new series moniker that isn't any faster than the previous top end cards it would be a stupid move. Unless they launch it as the 860 and price it to match.

Back
Top Bottom