• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

bru

bru

Soldato
whats the ti and 780- get?

This is at stock just to give some idea, of course we have no idea if the Maxwell score is at stock or not.

firestrike.jpg

Caporegime
I remember seeing a bench screenie similar for a Titan (when info was being leaked) and way back then I thought "My 680 can score close to that" but when I opened up the Titan, it could almost score double the speed of the 680 at stock.

Hopefully the same is going to happen here :)

Caporegime
I don't know why you'd compare watercooled extreme short burst benchmark scores on current cards to a a new stock reference card using drivers that will in no way be optimized yet either. I'll wait for game benches as usual.

Soldato
OP
That score is tame but it depends on price and what potential is in the tank. I would still personally wait for top end before considering moving from my Titans mind. They are serving me well :)

Agreed, they will be good for a long while yet. Better to move from Titan to another Titan like card. It will come prob Feb 2015..

Yeah I guess I'll probably wait to see how performance compares to the current cards before diving in, but I'm probably too impatient to wait for the high-end cards.

Either way I better start saving.

Ha, I would have done the same, having a crazy expensive few months now so out of the game for a while :(

I will be back though :D X99 and Nvidia Maxwell...

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't know why you'd compare watercooled extreme short burst benchmark scores on current cards to a a new stock reference card using drivers that will in no way be optimized yet either. I'll wait for game benches as usual.

Not sure if you noticed, but I really enjoy benching and hence why I compared like I did. That is my way of doing things and I am sure others have their way of looking at performance gains :)

Man of Honour
~40% boost over a Titan was 20nm estimated performance for the "880" as in mid-range not full fat maxwell - if they are getting that out of 28nm nVidia would have certainly pulled something out the bag.

Soldato
OP
WCCF Tech spinning this as 35% more powerful than the 780.. Not sure that's true, with both cards at stock that isn't 35% more performance is it? More like 10%..

Nvidia Geforce GTX 880 3dMark Benchmark Surfaces – Nearly 35% More Powerful Than the 780

[Rumor] Something very interesting cropped up on the forums of NoteBook Review (via User800). Basically somebody posted an alleged screen-shot of an Nvidia GPU with the name blurred out. The authenticity of this picture is not verifiable, but to the casual inspection it doesn’t appear doctored. The benchmark run appears to be of the Maxwell Flagship GTX 880.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-880-3dmark-benchmark-surfaces-35-powerful-780/

Soldato
~40% boost over a Titan was 20nm estimated performance for the "880" as in mid-range not full fat maxwell - if they are getting that out of 28nm nVidia would have certainly pulled something out the bag.

OFC,they could just further deplete DP performance and use a 256 bit memory controller and devote more die area and transistors to shaders. Maxwell also cuts the amount of texture units per SMX in half over Kepler too.

Hence they could not only increase the number of shaders,but probably clock them higher than the GK110 based cards. Also with less RAM chips per board they could drop power consumed in that area too.

Edit!!

The GTX780TI at 1920X1080 is only a third faster than a GTX770:

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780_Ti/images/perfrel_1920.gif

So even though there is nearly a doubling in die surface area,a doubling in transistor budget,nearly a doubling in shader numbers and a massive increase in memory bandwith you are not seeing a doubling in performance.

At 2560X1600 you are looking at a 40% performance increase:

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780_Ti/images/perfrel_2560.gif

The leaked 3DMark score puts the GTX880 at around 20% faster than a GTX780TI.

Now imagine an upscaled GK104 with the changes introduced in Maxwell(texture unit sharing),and a larger die area and transistor budget??

Not hard to imagine it being faster than a GTX780TI.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom