• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
I don't know why he wants to undervolt. I personay wouldn't undervolt. The cards generally run at good temps.
So unless they have a power supply issue or are worried that the card will crash to desktop like the launch even though that was patched out. I've no idea.

Nvidia cards frequency profiles are tied to temperature and they extend to temperatures well below what any current card on the market runs at stock. The upshot is that if you can further reduce temps below even safe levels you will be able to achieve a higher and more stable average frequency. When you undervolt you do slightly lower the maximum achievable frequency, but generally speaking a card with a stock cooler will benefit more from the reduced temps than the slightly higher max boost clock.

So there are valid reasons for undervolting, even if you card is already running pretty cool.

Associate
I don't know why he wants to undervolt. I personay wouldn't undervolt. The cards generally run at good temps.
So unless they have a power supply issue or are worried that the card will crash to desktop like the launch even though that was patched out. I've no idea.

Nvidia cards frequency profiles are tied to temperature and they extend to temperatures well below what any current card on the market runs at stock. The upshot is that if you can further reduce temps below even safe levels you will be able to achieve a higher and more stable average frequency. When you undervolt you do slightly lower the maximum achievable frequency, but generally speaking a card with a stock cooler will benefit more from the reduced temps than the slightly higher max boost clock.

So there are valid reasons for undervolting, even if you card is already running pretty cool.

My card is under water, but by undervolting, its now dumping 100w less heat into my system, with exactly the same, or slightly better performance of the card from stock. Without adjusting my fan curves, I've dropped 4c off the gaming temp of my loop. Which in turn, means my system is even quieter.

There isn't really much to be had from these cards in terms of overclocking. But plenty of benefits from undervolting. Undervolting doesn't have to mean loss of performance.

Associate
@ScottiB @Gibbo

I'm a lurker who barely posts on the thread, but wanted to ask about those Asus Tuf OC cards. Gibbo gave a timeline for arrival, processing, and posting. Does it include Saturdays? Is it reasonable to assume cards may be posted by the end of next week or Christmas week?

Many thanks, and Merry Christmas.

Associate
My CPU is being shipped, Thanks OCUK. All I need now from OCUK is my 3080 Palit gaming Pro (non OC) then I will be finished on this crazy journey. I hopefully should be 20ish after this next delivery.

Soldato
I must admit that I was hopeful of a catching up of order faster than it seems possible with the stock that is available to OCUK et al, and bag myself a 3080 last min before Christmas - but seeing that chart of 10K back orders o.m.g

Soldato
I had resigned myself to not receiving it until after the new year, so this is a bonus! Upgrading from a 1060 and have also upgraded monitor to 4k in anticipation too.
I had resigned myself to not receiving it until after the new year, so this is a bonus! Upgrading from a 1060 and have also upgraded monitor to 4k in anticipation too.
I upgraded from 1070 and difference is massive @ 4K, enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom