• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Soldato
The good old days of a mate spending hours and hours copying the colour chart you needed to use to get the code to play Jet Set Willy on the spectrum.

And him going bonkers when his mum chucked it out as she thought it was just colouring.

Apologies if the above counts as a hack/ copyright infringement, mods!

Associate
Zx81 and 16K ram pack also Joystick adaptor, Spectrum 48K, Commodore 64 liked 'The Last Ninja' , Amiga 500 and then 1200, Then onto first PC with Voodoo 3Dfx and SoundBlaster sound card with Original Quake plus addons, Duke Nukem etc.
Windows came on a few floppies back then and you generally needed a games only boot floppy disk to free up resources, Autoexec.bat etc.

Associate
without :(

I did have the original, tape driven machine but then I switched to an Archimedes

Oh yes! That was a fantastic machine at the time. I loved RiscOS.
This thread is an awesome nostalgia romp now :) even if bit off topic.
One day people will write "do you remember trying to get hold of a 3080 graphics card", while they ride around on a dinosaur in their Holodeck waiting for their RTX 250080 Ti to arrive :)

Last edited:
Associate
I started on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k+. My first PC was an Amstrad 1640 with 2 x 5.25 inch floppy
disks...

spectrum_plus.jpg

amstrad1640.jpg

I can also remember when hard disks bacame a thing. A 10MB (yes, 10 MEGABYTES!!!) was considered a huge anount of storage space!

Last edited:
Associate
stop it! I had a Sega Master System and my FIRST JOB was selling the original Playstation on the year it launched!
i remember my dad bringing it home as a suprise, and it had mario kart wii come with it too:D ive always been a nintendo gamer up until 2016 when i got the PS4 PRO for my 14th Birthday. And now im a PC Gamer:cool:

Associate
I started on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k+. My first PC was an Amstrad 1640 with 2 x 5.25 inch floppy
disks...

spectrum_plus.jpg

amstrad1640.jpg

I can also remember when hard disks bacame a thing. A 10MB (yes, 10 MEGABYTES!!!) was considered a huge anount of storage space!

CBM VIC-20, BBC B (twin FDD), Sega Master System & later CBM Amiga(s) kept me out of trouble when I was a lad. :) PC's came later when I went to Uni - no need until then as my AMIGA 1200 with 340Mb HDD, 10 MB RAM and 68030 had kept me going all the way up to 1997.

(I'm currently building a big box AMIGA with an FPGA accelerator called the Vampire 68060 - it's bonkers fast. Played Quake 2 on it the other day. Did you know, there is a 3D accelerated version of Wipeout for the Amiga? LOL )

Associate
Think my first pc was from a computer magazine advert, and it was a 386DX, or something like that.

plenty of OS and CPU choice around that time... 1989 --92ish .

Atari ST family (68000* cpu family (16/32bit)) - STos (Gem)
Apple MAC (68000 cpu family (16/32bit)) - MacOS 6?
AMIGA (68000 cpu family (16/32bit)) AmigaOS (WB) (hw multitasking)
Acorn Archimedes (32 bit ARM cpus) RISC OS (multitasking)
IBM PC compatible (PC) (x86 cpu family (16/32bit)) Microsoft single tasking DOS or DR Concurrent DOS / BSD / CPM / Minix. (Windows was trash bolted on to MS-DOS at the time)

All this paved the way to what we have now and all of those CPU arch's are still in use in some shape or form.

*(Motorola 68000 series was in use in many other machines too (Megadrive, Neo Geo, Saturn, X68000, SUN workstations, Sinclair QL, Next Cube) and is still in use today as a microcontroller.)

Back
Top Bottom