• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
Hi guys, first post here. I have a Gigabyte 3080 OC on order here, but in a queue as most of us. Any thoughts on the AIB partners using the cheap capacitors thereby causing issues with power delivery to the GPU, causing games to crash often on 3080 AIB boards? Do you think delivery of cards from these AIB partners have been pulled back due to these issues? Apologies if this has already been discussed before.

This was a driver issue, the capacitors were a guess and proved incorrect. The capacitors are fine in all cards. A driver update shortly after launch fixed the crashes.

Associate
I get the feeling the 3080's were rushed. Only the strix, and maybe the GB master/extreme seemed like complete next gen designs among the top cards. The MSI and the FTW3 seemed rushed at best - the timing of the Suprim was a bit suspicious too, almost like it's their proper next gen flagship that should have been released at the start.

It also seems like the msrp was unrealistic and so only a token amount of each were thrown out to be sold at that price.

Total speculation, but OC might have screwed up by selling too many cheap cards. All the sites seem to struggle to close the door in time when there's a rush on. So maybe a cancelation is worth more to OC, the AIB's and Nvidia, if you are an msrp buyer. AIB's refusing to send enough cards for sale at MRSP could clog up the whole system.

Associate
It may be of interest to people to know: that one competitor we all go to for actual back order numbers and deliveries has just updated their updates page to include the specific amount of back orders remaining and what specific cards they are due per shipment (no quantities there though). This is really useful information for guestimating the amount of stock per card coming into the country. This is the kind of transparency and information I like to see. They're even disclosing that they're receiving cards on units with no backorders.

If you're curious to have some kind of update on what your specific card's import looks like, check it out.

It's been 5 days since Gibbo posted on a side forum that a vague delivery of cards was due or whatever.

Associate
and i'm fairly sure there'd be a case for consumer watchdogs to get involved.

On what basis?
That they were unable to get stock, to make a profit, so gave you your money back?

That luxury GPU manufacturing and transportation were affected by C-19?

That OCUK didn't cash your money in, and didn't supply you with shoddy goods in place of what you ordered? That you couldn't csncel whenever you wanted?

I'm really trying here but I cannot see any angle where you hsve a strong case here in the eyes of consumer law. Maybe try Judge Rinder ? :)

Associate
There would be nothing for anyone to investigate, even if you could find anyone interested, your only protected consumer right is to receive a full refund when you ask for it and that is one thing that OCUK appear to have got right the vast majority of the time.

True, OCUK are not doing anything illegal. But they took an excessive number of pre-orders, an order of magnitude greater than other retailers, without a plan or supply schedule to fulfil those orders. They have thousands of pre-orders for certain SKUs, whereas their biggest competitor has only about 2000 preorders for all 3080s combined, with a more robust supply chain to be able to fulfil these orders. I can imagine a consumer organisation, like Which? might be interested in looking into the predicament OCUK put itself in.

Associate
Be interesting to see if some TUF cards do make an appearance, at least somewhere in the UK. Even just to know that they aren't lying about it being in production.

Though it kind of sucks to think because I didn't go OC (besides the quicker arrival) there's a chance the card I get won't be as good since they're holding "the good cards" back for OC production.

Associate
I've been tempted to do that, you've let impatience get the better of you and now Nvidia's made double the profit on you for a 10% gain in performance, still enjoy.
its over dudes. These cards are not coming and im not ruining my xmas period with a i10900k with no card init for 8 weeks now. I ordered an msi 3080 from OC. 400 in the queue. I then ordered a zotac OC 2 weeks ago. sitting at 25th in the queue.

I logged onto buy a 3070 and cancel the 3080. Nobody has 3070s now either. Even they are now out of stock. I searched loads of sites. Nobody has them and with xmas coming its going to stay like that i reckon.

Ended up buying a zotac 3090 for 1.4k from competitor. It was £200 more here. The 3090 will last for good amount im thinking with VR coming it will be a better card im thinking. I didnt want to do it but ive had a 10900k just sitting here. I havnt cancelled my zotac 3080 from here yet. If it comes i will send back the 3090 within return period.

i dont want to spend my xmas gaming period not gaming.

thats cool good job, im tempted to do that to to

OCUK is terrible for selling the zotac 3090 for 200 quid more 1.6k when competitor clearly selling for 1400,

ocuk clearly greedy, 200 pounds more like wtf

and they are not taking spam preorders either

still dat 3090 with 24gb vram will serve u well, forget ppl telling you about the 10% gain, let more games come out and watch the 3090 blow 3080 out the water.

Associate
TBH if i get my Palit 3080 OC before Xmas I will be happy - also the only game that will super benefit me currently will be Cyberpunk, but I can live with my 1080ti at 1440p for a few weeks before the upgrade is necessary. Hopefully everyone gets the cards before too long

Associate
Also the fact that you can bet they will mess your order up or cancel your order if you think about switching to a different card. Been waiting on msi trio since launch day 3:20pm and have thought about ordering a different card to be lower down a que on something that seems to get more deliveries but I would probably loose both orders knowing how bad customer service/ordering is on here.

Back
Top Bottom