• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
Are cards being made available to pre order every so often? (interested in the 3080 but I think I might settle with a 3070, I can always sell it if 3080 becomes steady in future) I always come and check if theyre available but assumed they will be made available to pre order when there is stock, but i see people here are saying a batch of 3070's were made available. If they are being made available to pre order what do you think is the best way to go about getting one?

Associate
I was 59th so if they've had like 5 cards in why isn't my queue position lower... Hmmmmm

Well interestingly, i got the queue update email and i had moved forward 1 space (5 > 4) then a little while later, confirmation my order was shipped.
ej1CcLd.png
z9piXVP

Associate
Are cards being made available to pre order every so often? (interested in the 3080 but I think I might settle with a 3070, I can always sell it if 3080 becomes steady in future) I always come and check if theyre available but assumed they will be made available to pre order when there is stock, but i see people here are saying a batch of 3070's were made available. If they are being made available to pre order what do you think is the best way to go about getting one?

Read the thread by Gibbo. You should still be able to get a 3070 ordered as some are still showing as available. Please follow the guidelines Gibbo states in the OP though.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...ilable-for-ordering-very-soon.18917389/page-2

Soldato
Anyone know how Amazon Pay affects ordering? I'm in the queue for an Eagle OC but today bought a 6800xt from here, paid via Amazon Pay. Got an email from OC UK within 2 minutes, but the amazon email confirming payment wasn't received for a few hours. Am I likely to have missed out, or do OC UK assign stock upon receipting the order? Not the end of the world, but I'd be a tad frustrated if I'm now in 2 queues with no end in sight....!

I think payment has to be taken by the retailer manually (or maybe via automated script retailer side) for it to show as cleared.

Associate
Nov 27th - Dec 24th. Moved over 125 places in queue.
Dec 24th - Jan 22nd. Moved less than 15.

Ordered almost 4 months ago & still at 96. Will most probably still be waiting in another month or two at least.

Ridiculous situation.

To add salt to the wound;
  • Nvidia & the AIB's are working on a million & one different announced (after the 3080) & yet unannounced cards, putting a strain & delay on the already minimal parts.
  • Every YouTuber, reviewer & celebrity under the sun got multiple units for free at launch.
  • Nvidia (un)knowingly hashed the launch allowing bots to the majority of the small amount available.
  • Whether it's dirty deals or bots (unlikely in this case) there's pictures of hundreds of the specific aib card I ordered being used on one bit-mining rig. Can't imagine how many thousands of 3080's have been acquired in whatever way by these groups for these purposes.

Associate
why not just give codes to everyone who ordered before then?

Because the codes cannot be used without a 3080/90 installed and Nvidia have never given them enough codes to match the total outstanding orders.

So giving the codes to people who can use them before they expire still makes the most sense.

Associate
Reviewers have had mixed results. In a few cases it beats the 3080, in the majority it's behind, and certainly in ray tracing. However AMD drivers are always slow to evolve, whereas Nvidia seem to have them sorted much earlier and update more regularly. Main reason why I really want the 3080. But as RT isn't particularly important to me I've ordered a 6800XT. See how it goes I guess...

Regarding Ray Tracing: don't worry about that, as you'll have it disabled in most games anyway. I have the 3090 Suprim and Ray tracing adds eye-candy (it is interesting but doesn't actuslly make a game more fun) but slows the frame rate too much. Constsnt 144FPS is FAR more valuable to a gaming experience than lighting effects. In my opinion.

Ray tracing is still 2 generations of developnent away, at least, from being really good.

Associate
Regarding Ray Tracing: don't worry about that, as you'll have it disabled in most games anyway. I have the 3090 Suprim and Ray tracing adds eye-candy (it is interesting but doesn't actuslly make a game more fun) but slows the frame rate too much. Constsnt 144FPS is FAR more valuable to a gaming experience than lighting effects. In my opinion.

Ray tracing is still 2 generations of developnent away, at least, from being really good.

Yep, wasn't a consideration at purchase, and wasn't a consideration when going to the red side. Not sure how much I'll miss from not having DLSS, but as I am expecting the upgrade from a 1080 to be pretty huge, I'm not going to worry about that too much either. I won't ever be trying to buy a launch day card from Nvidia again though, that's one thing I'm very certain of!

Soldato
  • Nvidia & the AIB's are working on a million & one different announced (after the 3080) & yet unannounced cards, putting a strain & delay on the already minimal parts.
  • Every YouTuber, reviewer & celebrity under the sun got multiple units for free at launch.
  • Nvidia (un)knowingly hashed the launch allowing bots to the majority of the small amount available.
  • Whether it's dirty deals or bots (unlikely in this case) there's pictures of hundreds of the specific aib card I ordered being used on one bit-mining rig. Can't imagine how many thousands of 3080's have been acquired in whatever way by these groups for these purposes.

Reviewer samples has been covered in depth by most of them - pretty much, they dont get to keep them; they review and either return or send to the next on the list, usually within 24/36 hours.

Soldato
So when 3080 was released, MSRP was £650 and we had multiple cards at that price or slightly above. At the time £1 = £1.32

Then GBP dropped to about $1.26, we saw prices go up to about £725 and over. Exchange rates were cited as the reason.

Now that £1 = $1.37, prices are still £725 and over.

Associate
So when 3080 was released, MSRP was £650 and we had multiple cards at that price or slightly above. At the time £1 = £1.32

Then GBP dropped to about $1.26, we saw prices go up to about £725 and over. Exchange rates were cited as the reason.

Now that £1 = $1.37, prices are still £725 and over.

I remember them citing exchange rates as a reason. Abit later it was said that the reason prices were £650 at launch was because manufacterers subsidized a limited amount of the cards on launch day.

Associate
I remember them citing exchange rates as a reason. Abit later it was said that the reason prices were £650 at launch was because manufacterers subsidized a limited amount of the cards on launch day.

That's right, there was a $50 subsidy from Nvidia to the manufacturers on the first units to allow them to hit the MSRP, that probably covered the first few seconds of the orders...

Since then it has been made very clear that the manufacturers can't make money at the original MSRP and they have all put their prices up considerably.

The improvements in the exchange rate will have helped keep the impact of the price rises down, but it is nowhere near enough to eliminate the increases completely.

Associate
My card was shipped to Ireland on the 7th with dpd lads any info on dpd shipping to ireland yet? getting really fed up kinda salting the wound after 5 months waiting, I know neither issue is really your guys fault I just would like some info when I might expect my gpu now @Gibbo @ScottiB

Last edited:
Associate
The 3090FE is looking better value now than it did at launch and the 3080FE is a bargain if you're one of the luck 0.0001% who can grab one during the 5 seconds they are on sale.

Back
Top Bottom