• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4090 STOCK SITUATION & OcUK YOUTUBE REVIEWS - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

I am of course annoyed by the gouging, but it is what it is and I have zero sympathy for people not able to throw silly money on bleeding-edge GPU's that cost £2k, because they are by definition unnecessary luxury purchases.

Judging from the specs in your sig you would need a full system upgrade to get any use out of such a card to not be CPU limited so that's at least another £700 on top.
Sorry, 'sympathy' was a bit strong, I just mean a bit of consideration for the annoyance we're feeling at having waited this long only to find out that the only way to get one is to throw money away or wait another year. You know how it feels to look forward to something, save all your money, see the reviews, get excited, wait patiently for launch and then get ****** in the ******* ass by a massive ****-load of *****. big implacable wall of 'haha-****-you' gouging. It sucks. We're not all rich kids spending daddy's money.

Yes, I need a system upgrade, that was all part of the plan, I even grudgingly budgeted £1500 for a 4090, but RRP is higher and the cheapest I've seen one I could actually buy is £1950. I've been waiting for almost 2 years, letting the budget creep up and was going to go top-dollar on this one, but realistically the top-end cpu/gpu combo is £4k right now.

The amount of 'luxury' in the purchase really depends on what you're going to do with it. Mine is a workstation/gaming PC. I'll use it for Graphic Design, Video editing, Web Dev, ML and Gaming.

Last edited:
Sorry, 'sympathy' was a bit strong, I just mean a bit of consideration for the annoyance we're feeling at having waited this long only to find out that the only way to get one is to throw money away or wait another year. You know how it feels to look forward to something, save all your money, see the reviews, get excited, wait patiently for launch and then get ****** in the ******* ass by a massive ****-load of *****. big implacable wall of 'haha-****-you' gouging. It sucks. We're not all rich kids spending daddy's money.

Yes, I need a system upgrade, that was all part of the plan, I even grudgingly budgeted £1500 for a 4090, but RRP is higher and the cheapest I've seen one I could actually buy is £1950. I've been waiting for almost 2 years, letting the budget creep up and was going to go top-dollar on this one, but realistically the top-end cpu/gpu combo is £4k right now.

The amount of 'luxury' in the purchase really depends on what you're going to do with it. Mine is a workstation/gaming PC. I'll use it for Graphic Design, Video editing, Web Dev, ML and Gaming.
A cheap Z690 + 13600k and a used 3090 should be doable for around 1200 quid.

Well that's where you might be wrong, I don't think they are.
I was obviously being sarcastic... :ü
We're not all rich kids spending daddy's money.
I think most of us are just grown adult with jobs, rather than rich kids spending daddys money. It's a £2k GPU, not a Lamborghinin. Sure it's expensive, but still affordable for many especially over 2 years of lifecycle.

As Joxeon said, get an Intel 13600 with 32GB RAM and a used RTX3090 and you will still have a great editing and gaming PC for significantly less. Or, just hold on to see what AMD provides with RDNA3.

Last edited:

I was in you're position with the RTX 3080 release, they started out at £699 then went up to over £1000 aweek later, it's called supply and demand, abit like bidding, except that everyone who bids gets the product, I was personally going to buy a rtx 4080 till I saw the difference in specifications, basically if you imagine the RTX 4090 being 100% CUDA power then rtx 4080 is 60% cuda power, obviously in my mind spending the extra in price made sense at the time, so I did, that doesn't mean I don't regret having to spent out this much money, i don't mind sharing with you all that I'm still paying it off now and will be in to the new year! I'm not happy about paying out this much either to find out that cables are melting, it's important to also understand the difference between going on fire and melting, they are both bad but one is invented by the media, still kills the product! it shouldn't be happening at this price either way, now if you wait a bit you might be thankful because amd are coming out with the same design they used on the CPUs, but on there GPUs if the rumours are true this could take Nvidia down and make everyone who brought a 4090 feel very silly, me included, hurt even because of the price and the melting cables, thankful hasn't happened to me because I never used the included cable, thank you brain.... So this is from someone who is lucky enough to own ones view point, I feel kicked in the teeth, I'm also having problems where my brother rig with a rtx 3080 is getting between 1000 FPS at the beginning of the league and rounding off to 700 FPS and mine with a rtx 4090 can only get 500 fps starting off and rounding to 200 fps in league of legends, no one judge me please lol I understand this is meant for things like flight sim at 4k but I enjoy e sports on the side and was disappointed to see this result and I wouldn't have thought the only difference in rigs is a 3900x in my system and a 5800x in there's would cause this difference? Both CPUs aren't at 100% or the cores, clocks aren't that different, 43 for mine 45 for his, pcie4 settings in both with that GPU memory setting thing switched to on in the motherboard bios, my CPU infinity fabric overclocked for a one to one at 3800 on the ram, his is 3600, left scratching my head... Got to be driver issue right? Sorry for my outburst but that comment triggered me...

Last edited:
I was in you're position with the RTX 3080 release, they started out at £699 then went up to over £1000 aweek later, it's called supply and demand, abit like biding, expert that everyone who bids gets the product, I was personally going to buy a rtx 4080 till I saw the difference in specifications, basically if you imagine the RTX 4090 being 100% CUDA power then rtx 4080 is 60% cuda power, obviously in my mind spending the extra in price made sense at the time, so I did, that doesn't mean I don't regret having to spent out this much money, i don't mind sharing with you all that I'm still paying it off now and will be in to the new year! I'm not happy about paying out this much either to find out that cables are melting, it's important to also understand the difference between going on fire and melting, they are both bad but one is invented by the media, still kills the product! it shouldn't be happening at this price either way, now if you wait a bit you might be thankful because amd are coming out with the same design they used on the CPUs, but on there GPUs if the rumours are true this could take Nvidia down and make everyone who brought a 4090 feel very silly, hurt even because of the price and the melting cables.... So this is from someone who is lucky enough to own ones view point, I feel kicked in the teeth, I'm also having problems where my brother rig with a rtx 3080 is getting between 1000 FPS at the beginning of the game and rounding off to FPS 700 and mine with a rtx 4090 can only get FPS 500 starting off and rounding to FPS 200 in league of legends, no one judge me please lol I understand this is meant for things like flight sim at 4k but I enjoy e sports on the side and was disappointed to see this result and I wouldn't have thought the only difference in rigs is a 3900x in my system and a 5700x in there's would cause this difference? Both CPUs aren't at 100% or the cores, clocks aren't that different, 43 for mine 45 for his, pcie4 settings in both with that GPU memory setting thing switched to on in the motherboard bios, my CPU infinity fabric overclocked for a one to one at 3800 on the ram, his is 3600, left scratching my head... Got to be driver issue right? Sorry for my outburst but that comment triggered me...
Please use paragraphs to make things a little easier to read. Yes, the CPU makes a huge difference at lower resolutions that's why his performance is higher. You are CPU limited.

It pays to do some actual research before just rushing out and buying things.

@Richdog
Please use paragraphs to make things a little easier to read. Yes, the CPU makes a huge difference at lower resolutions that's why his performance is higher. You are CPU limited.

It pays to do some actual research before just rushing out and buying things.
Did you read the clock numbers towards the end of my comment? Mine also has more cores. yes I know more cores doesn't= more performance, but it's just a 300mhz difference, shouldn't cause such a drastic change in frames

* Ill also add that most of the hurt in price we are all feeling isn't overclockers UK fault but the manufacturers of these products, overclockers UK is also one of the few shops I've come across who are for the gamers, and not bots. Yeah price is going up but what they make is penny's compared to the Nvidia, and I'm not being funny but if you aren't there on day uno then why shouldn't the shops at least try to make some profit, that's on you like it was on me with the 3000 series, I'd say the board partners are probably the people I feel most sorry for after the evga outburst.

@Richdog on a more personal note. I have dyslexia, apologize, I also had mainstream schooling. I'll try to dot more things :D

Last edited:
@Richdog

Did you read the clock numbers towards the end of my comment? Mine also has more cores. yes I know more cores doesn't= more performance, but it's just a 300mhz difference, shouldn't cause such a drastic change in frames

* Ill also add that most of the hurt in price we are all feeling isn't overclockers UK fault but the manufacturers of these products, overclockers UK is also one of the few shops I've come across who are for the gamers, and not bots. Yeah price is going up but what they make is penny's compared to the Nvidia, and I'm not being funny but if you aren't there on day uno then why shouldn't the shops at least try to make some profit, that's on you like it was on me with the 3000 series, I'd say the board partners are probably the people I feel most sorry for after the evga outburst.

@Richdog on a more personal note. I have dyslexia, apologize, I also had mainstream schooling. I'll try to dot more things :D
What resolution are you even running at, 1080p? Please, instead of just cluelessly relying on what other people say, go and look at benchmarks in reviews and in Youtube videos and educate yourself. There is a big difference in gaming performance between Zen2 and Zen3 at lower resolutions and games do not generally benefit from more than 8 cores. If you are playing at lower resolutions with an older generation CPU then the RTX4090 was 100% a bad purchasing decision for you and you should have buyers remorse, especially as you got yourself in debt to buy it. Either upgrade your CPU to something like a Zen3 58003DX or sell the RTX4090 and buy a used RTX3090.

This video shows how big the difference between Zen2 and Zen3 is with a RTX4090 even at 1440p (it doesn't test 1080p because of how pointless that would be with an RTX4090).

Last edited:
What resolution are you even running at, 1080p? Please, instead of just cluelessly relying on what other people say, go and look at benchmarks in reviews and in Youtube videos and educate yourself. There is a big difference in gaming performance between Zen2 and Zen3 at lower resolutions and games do not generally benefit from more than 8 cores. If you are playing at lower resolutions with an older generation CPU then the RTX4090 was 100% a bad purchasing decision for you and you should have buyers remorse, especially as you got yourself in debt to buy it. Either upgrade your CPU to something like a Zen3 58003DX or sell the RTX4090 and buy a used RTX3090.

This video shows how big the difference between Zen2 and Zen3 is with a RTX4090.

Resolution is 2k, I can upscale to 4k using the Nvidia control panel... 1080p seriously? I didn't cluelessly buy this card, I did research, I know the card benefits from higher resolutions, that's why you use the features NVIDIA gives us in the control panel. I've already seen the video you've mentioned, as keep up with the latest on everything! I'm a LTT fan? The difference between these CPUs isn't big in the video however the difference in league of legends is huge, it doesn't seem to me to be a CPU issue which is why I'm sharing my concerns here. You talk about differences between Zen 2 and Zen 3, I'm talking about the one between Zen 3 and Zen 5 we aren't on the same page and you're jumping the gun

Resolution is 2k, I can upscale to 4k using the Nvidia control panel... 1080p seriously? I didn't cluelessly buy this card, I did research, I know the card benefits from higher resolutions, that's why you use the features NVIDIA gives us in the control panel. I've already seen the video you've mentioned, as keep up with the latest on everything! I'm a LTT fan? The difference between these CPUs isn't big in the video however the difference in league of legends is huge, it doesn't seem to me to be a CPU issue which is why I'm sharing my concerns here. You talk about differences between Zen 2 and Zen 3, I'm talking about the one between Zen 3 and Zen 5 we aren't on the same page and you're jumping the gun
Jesus christ, you are right, we are not on the same page. Zen2 is the 3000 series and Zen3 is the 5000 series and Zen4 is the 7000 series. The older architecture and slower memory of Zen2 are a huge factor in limiting the RTX4090 at lower resolutions (ie: below 4k), it has been shown in numerous tests and if you really did research on this stuff then you would know it.

Last edited:
Jesus christ, you are right, we are not on the same page. Zen2 is the 3000 series and Zen3 is the 5000 series and Zen4 is the 7000 series. The older architecture and slower memory of Zen2 are a huge factor in limiting the RTX4090 at lower resolutions (ie: below 4k), it has been shown in numerous tests and if you really did research on this stuff then you would know it.

@Richdog replying still to you're last message Im not selling it and admitting yes I have some buyer remorse, when it comes to melting included cables / price, again this is Nvidia fault

Again I watched the video you talked about already? I'll supply proof shall I?
Screenshot-2022-11-01-10-13-50-966-com-google-android-youtube.jpg

Watching the video again!! The guy calls them all Ryzen 5, personally If it's a 2600x they should have called it Ryzen 2 and if it's a 3900x they should have called it Ryzen 3 and so on.. the same confusing naming scheme is used for amds graphics card lineup as well, no one's stupid for misunderstanding this ridiculous marketing language, so please stop with the big ego, leave trolling for discord shall we :D

IMG-20221101-102712.jpg

My CPU is middle of the pack, its not a 2600x it's a 3900x vsing a 5800x

For anyone counting that's 3 "agains" :D

Last edited:
@Richdog replying still to you're last message Im not selling it and admitting yes I have some buyer remorse, when it comes to melting included cables / price, again this is Nvidia fault

Again I watched the video you talked about already? I'll supply proof shall I?
Screenshot-2022-11-01-10-13-50-966-com-google-android-youtube.jpg

Watching the video again!! The guy calls them all Ryzen 5, personally If it's a 2600x they should have called it Ryzen 2 and if it's a 3900x they should have called it Ryzen 3 and so on.. the same confusing naming scheme is used for amds graphics card lineup as well, no one's stupid for misunderstanding this ridiculous marketing language, so please stop with the big ego, leave trolling for discord shall we :D

IMG-20221101-102712.jpg

My CPU is middle of the pack, its not a 2600x it's a 3900x vsing a 5800x

For anyone counting that's 3 "agains" :D
No-one said you were 'stupid', but stop criticizing people when you clearly do not know really what you are talking about despite watching all these videos. The facts are the facts, and the facts are that your CPU is underpowered and limits a 4090 and the 1440p resolution you are playing at is also too low to justify a 4090.

A 3090 would have been perfect for you.

Last edited:
No-one said you were 'stupid', but stop criticizing people when you clearly do not know really what you are talking about despite watching all these videos. The facts are the facts, and the facts are that your CPU is underpowered and limits a 4090 and the 1440p resolution you are playing at is also too low to justify a 4090.

A 3090 would have been perfect for you.
I haven't ever said my CPU isn't unnderpowered for the RTX 4090. I don't think their is a CPU out currently that can tame it correct me if I'm wrong?

I don't pretend to know things, however I won't also be told "I don't know a thing :D"

The reason I brought it up is because I'm wondering if anyone else here might play league and be able to share results they are seeing?

Last edited:
I was in you're position with the RTX 3080 release, they started out at £699 then went up to over £1000 aweek later, it's called supply and demand, abit like bidding, except that everyone who bids gets the product, I was personally going to buy a rtx 4080 till I saw the difference in specifications, basically if you imagine the RTX 4090 being 100% CUDA power then rtx 4080 is 60% cuda power, obviously in my mind spending the extra in price made sense at the time, so I did, that doesn't mean I don't regret having to spent out this much money, i don't mind sharing with you all that I'm still paying it off now and will be in to the new year! I'm not happy about paying out this much either to find out that cables are melting, it's important to also understand the difference between going on fire and melting, they are both bad but one is invented by the media, still kills the product! it shouldn't be happening at this price either way, now if you wait a bit you might be thankful because amd are coming out with the same design they used on the CPUs, but on there GPUs if the rumours are true this could take Nvidia down and make everyone who brought a 4090 feel very silly, me included, hurt even because of the price and the melting cables, thankful hasn't happened to me because I never used the included cable, thank you brain.... So this is from someone who is lucky enough to own ones view point, I feel kicked in the teeth, I'm also having problems where my brother rig with a rtx 3080 is getting between 1000 FPS at the beginning of the league and rounding off to 700 FPS and mine with a rtx 4090 can only get 500 fps starting off and rounding to 200 fps in league of legends, no one judge me please lol I understand this is meant for things like flight sim at 4k but I enjoy e sports on the side and was disappointed to see this result and I wouldn't have thought the only difference in rigs is a 3900x in my system and a 5800x in there's would cause this difference? Both CPUs aren't at 100% or the cores, clocks aren't that different, 43 for mine 45 for his, pcie4 settings in both with that GPU memory setting thing switched to on in the motherboard bios, my CPU infinity fabric overclocked for a one to one at 3800 on the ram, his is 3600, left scratching my head... Got to be driver issue right? Sorry for my outburst but that comment triggered me...
Thanks, that's interesting.

Good site for CPU comparisons: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-5800X/4044vs4085

Yes, the game is clearly CPU-bottlenecked, but *maybe* not to the extent you're seeing there, I would guess. If resolution isn't high, that's not going to compound the issue, just show the 'base-difference' (that's a phrase I just made up to annoy annoying know-it-alls).

For context: I have 30 years of PC building, upgrading and repairing experience, including 2 years working in a PC build, recycling and repair shop. One thing I've really reinforced from my last few years of pre-purchase research is that both AMD and Nvidia are unscrupulous liars and you can't trust anyone to provide reliable 'bang per buck' figures. Community-sourced synthetic benchmarks like the above are good, but not great markers (can be gamed). As a rule of thumb, I would halve any figures quoted for performance gains. I upgrade nowadays as far as I can, within reason (who gives a **** about the last 5%?) and expect to do so for 100% gains every 8-10 years. That's real-world 'feel it' performance, not stats and benchmarks that don't really show up.

My take on your LoL comparison is that it's heavily weighted on CPU and the newer CPU will have features that benefit certain games more than others. LoL is an eSports game, so it figures it will play well on newer chips. I'd guess your GPU utilisation is probably well under 100% for that game. I doubt a driver update will help, tbh. If it could, it would be a motherboard one. Or at least moving CPU-based calcs to the GPU (not sure if LoL could support this even in theory).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom