• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4090 STOCK SITUATION & OcUK YOUTUBE REVIEWS - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Back to sold out on all lines as of 1409 UTC+1. Definitely a lot slower than the 30s were going a couple of years ago.

Is anyone else being a lot more careful about power specs this time around? Not just the 12VHPWR shenanigans.

Back to sold out on all lines as of 1409 UTC+1. Definitely a lot slower than the 30s were going a couple of years ago.

Is anyone else being a lot more careful about power specs this time around? Not just the 12VHPWR shenanigans.
I refuse to pay scalper pricing from a recognised retailer.

I gave my FE invite to a mate as I was running a SFF case. Now considering jumping in to 4090 life (provided the new games I'll be playing in the next month or 2 can't be run @4k 120 on my 3090).

Last edited:
I was itching to get one as I have been saving for years for a new PC, but these overpriced RRPs means we're being scalped by our usual providers (the USD-GBP thing is a smokescreen). As much as it irks me, I'm going to wait a while longer. Really disappointed in all involved. I won't be ripped off just because they have the chance. We have money, they want it, happy to give it for fair value, which we're not going to get unless we exercise some patience.

FYI, the BoM for one of these cards is around $150, so there's plenty of room for movement.

Link to a source for that please? $150 total build cost for a 4090 seems ridiculously low.
I believe they are talking about build materials cost, probably it's abit more than that, £300, that's not accounting for research and development, labour costs, admin fees, transportation, retail, transportation... or demand pushing up the price.

The cost of sand.... Is high these days, especially depending on how late you are to the party ( being a hardcore enthusiast I was on the site day one for 3000 series and 4000 ) my 3000 card I cancelled by mistake because I believed the rumours of the 3090 at the time being priced not that far off 3080 but it was false so I skipped 3000 series all together! Saved up every penny till the 4090 now I have one.

So don't feel bad, if the cost isn't right hold off and save like I did

I was itching to get one as I have been saving for years for a new PC, but these overpriced RRPs means we're being scalped by our usual providers (the USD-GBP thing is a smokescreen). As much as it irks me, I'm going to wait a while longer. Really disappointed in all involved. I won't be ripped off just because they have the chance. We have money, they want it, happy to give it for fair value, which we're not going to get unless we exercise some patience.

FYI, the BoM for one of these cards is around $150, so there's plenty of room for movement.
Not a dogs chance the BOM for the RTX 4090 is $150. It's at least $17k per wafer from TSMC (based on what AMD is likely paying TSMC for 5nm, taken from a recent Ian Cutress video on the cost of a new 7000 chip), even with a defect density of 0.1 with a large die of 608mm your looking at around yield of 56% on a standard 300mm wafer which gives you 47 full fat AD102 dies, 37 defective ones and a few partial dies. Assuming you could use all of them for a RTX 4090 $17,000/84 dies is $202 just for the chip. On top of that you need to add the cost of the PCB which won't be cheap given it will need capacitors and VRMs to handle 600 watts, the HSF, plus all the extra packaging required for such a large GPU. I think there's a least $400/$500 of base cost before any mark-up.

You can play around with this to get the yields a chip numbers if you wish - https://web.archive.org/web/20210201003952/https://caly-technologies.com/die-yield-calculator/

Last edited:
I believe they are talking about build materials cost, probably it's abit more than that
No ****.
, £300, that's not accounting for research and development, labour costs, admin fees, transportation, retail, transportation... or demand pushing up the price.
Also a guess, I assume?
The cost of sand.... Is high these days, especially depending on how late you are to the party ( being a hardcore enthusiast I was on the site day one for 3000 series and 4000 ) my 3000 card I cancelled by mistake because I believed the rumours of the 3090 at the time being priced not that far off 3080 but it was false so I skipped 3000 series all together! Saved up every penny till the 4090 now I have one.

So don't feel bad, if the cost isn't right hold off and save like I did
:confused:

Not a dogs chance the BOM for the RTX 4090 is $150. It's at least $17k per wafer from TSMC (based on what AMD is likely paying TSMC for 5nm, taken from a recent Ian Cutress video on the cost of a new 7000 chip), even with a defect density of 0.1 with a large die of 608mm your looking at around yield of 56% on a standard 300mm wafer which gives you 47 full fat AD102 dies, 37 defective ones and a few partial dies. Assuming you could use all of them for a RTX 4090 $17,000/84 dies is $202 just for the chip. On top of that you need to add the cost of the PCB which won't be cheap given it will need capacitors and VRMs to handle 600 watts, the HSF, plus all the extra packaging required for such a large GPU. I think there's a least $400/$500 of base cost before any mark-up.

You can play around with this to get the yields a chip numbers if you wish - https://web.archive.org/web/20210201003952/https://caly-technologies.com/die-yield-calculator/
Yeah, I saw the same video, but I'm pricing it on what the prices were before **** went crazy. Because that's where things *could* be and should be again in the next year or two when other fabs come online). I basically pulled that price out my arse, but it's not far off. Post caffeinated rage, I'd amend that to about £300 atm. Anyway you look at it, right now it's well over a grand of markup. Prices will stay high until we stop saying 'yeah, ok, please fleece me!'.

Yeah, I saw the same video, but I'm pricing it on what the prices were before **** went crazy. Because that's where things *could* be and should be again in the next year or two when other fabs come online). I basically pulled that price out my arse, but it's not far off. Post caffeinated rage, I'd amend that to about £300 atm. Anyway you look at it, right now it's well over a grand of markup. Prices will stay high until we stop saying 'yeah, ok, please fleece me!'.
even if it was £600 do they really need to make £1000+ per card

If you aren't annoyed by the gouging, have a bit of sympathy for those of us without money to burn.
I am of course annoyed by the gouging, but it is what it is and I have zero sympathy for people not able to throw silly money on bleeding-edge GPU's that cost £2k, because they are by definition unnecessary luxury purchases.

Judging from the specs in your sig you would need a full system upgrade to get any use out of such a card to not be CPU limited so that's at least another £700 on top.

Last edited:
I am of course annoyed by the gouging, but it is what it is and I have zero sympathy for people not able to throw silly money on bleeding-edge GPU's that cost £2k, because they are by definition unnecessary luxury purchases.

Judging from the specs in your sig you would need a full system upgrade to get any use out of such a card so that's at least another £700 on top.
I deed a complete waste of money which is exactly what I wanted

Back
Top Bottom