** NVIDIA GTX 1070: WANNA PRE-ORDER?**

Soldato
Lol at those prices. Was expecting closer to £300 for the 1070's.
Sticking with my 670 SLI for a while longer.
Hopefully the red team will put out some competitive products at a reasonable price to force nvidia to drop those stupid prices. Just pure greed on Nvidias part I think.

Associate
At the start Nvidia produce a component kit and a PCB design, as time goes by card manufacturers can refine the designs, source their own components and increase mass production to save money. That's just not possible at such short notice. This is what some people refer to as "early adopters tax" but that term is about as far from the truth as it's possible to be. Card manufacturers can actually make more profit after they've been able to do their optimisations than they can at the start.

The limited amount of stock available for launch should be proof enough that Nvidia only supplied their kits at very short notice.

We don't know at this point. The HOF design was only confirmed to us earlier today. The specs are still not set because I believe that they are still testing yields. As soon as we have some more information we will update the ETAs on the website.

Thanks for at least being honest with customers. I appreciate that.

Nvidia can't be plucking MSRP's from thin air though. They must know how much components cost and then suggest an MSRP with a profit margin attached for manufacturers. So there must be some profit in selling at MSRP?

If the current price is not due to supply and demand "early adopter" tax then what is the reason?

Is it purely down to the fact that manufactures are re-using a high cost 1080 PCB design in a 1070 just so that they have product available at launch?

That kind of is still "early adopter" tax. It may not be because people are trying to make profit but we are suggesting that people are likely paying £50-£80 more to have their card today or this week than probably in 5-6 weeks time.

On a 1070 that's a percentage price drop of 10-20% potentially in 6 weeks.

Just plucking numbers out of the air but I don't think I would be far off?

I think we are seeing with the 1070 and 1080's that PCB design makes little difference nor do components. Extra power connecters? no difference.

Cooler will to some degree control throttling and make less noise but all chips in terms of overclocking are topping out due to the chip itself long before any other design issue comes in to play from early indications of this board.

So custom cards aren't really bringing much to the table in terms of performance or overclocking when in the past they have.

Caporegime
£364 for the KFA2 plastic shroud "reference" model is a tad high, The GTX 970 was around £300 at launch so it seems every gen even the cut down GPU prices are going up.

Tbh I think that the KFA2 EX version for £375 is quite reasonable! £375 for a Ti beater AND an extra 2GB of vRam? Not bad imo...

But what do I know, I went and bought a 1080 FE :D

Caporegime
Wow... let's hope the red team comes out with something that will force nvidia's prices down

they have its the 480.

what many will do now because of the stupid greedy pricing is just buy a 480 or 2 480s or nothing.

these will drop in price very fast.

lets not kid ourselves.

480 is supposed to be £200 and 980 gtx speed or faster.most will be content with that for half the price than £200 extra for 25 percent faster.

these cards will drop £100 pound within 2 months ! watch.

Associate
they have its the 480.

what many will do now because of the stupid greedy pricing is just buy a 480 or 2 480s or nothing.

these will drop in price very fast.

lets not kid ourselves.

480 is supposed to be £200 and 980 gtx speed or faster.most will be content with that for half the price than £200 extra for 25 percent faster.

these cards will drop £100 pound within 2 months ! watch.

Problem there is that NVidia can just launch 1060 at gtx 980 speed at £200.
1070 is 980Ti speed so 1060 being at around 980 speed on 120-130 tdp makes sense.

They COULD release 1060 at £200 - £250 to counter 480 while keeping 1070 at current prices.

Associate
Thanks for at least being honest with customers. I appreciate that.

Nvidia can't be plucking MSRP's from thin air though. They must know how much components cost and then suggest an MSRP with a profit margin attached for manufacturers. So there must be some profit in selling at MSRP?

If the current price is not due to supply and demand "early adopter" tax then what is the reason?

Is it purely down to the fact that manufactures are re-using a high cost 1080 PCB design in a 1070 just so that they have product available at launch?

That kind of is still "early adopter" tax. It may not be because people are trying to make profit but we are suggesting that people are likely paying £50-£80 more to have their card today or this week than probably in 5-6 weeks time.

On a 1070 that's a percentage price drop of 10-20% potentially in 6 weeks.

Just plucking numbers out of the air but I don't think I would be far off?

I think we are seeing with the 1070 and 1080's that PCB design makes little difference nor do components. Extra power connecters? no difference.

Cooler will to some degree control throttling and make less noise but all chips in terms of overclocking are topping out due to the chip itself long before any other design issue comes in to play from early indications of this board.

So custom cards aren't really bringing much to the table in terms of performance or overclocking when in the past they have.

Therefore do you believe that people like myself should wait 5 weeks? You think AMD will cause demand to decrease causing the price to decrease? I initially wanted to get a card for around £320, although currently looking at this for £410... not sure whether to buy now or not because I would preferably like it for gaming after my exams through the summer as I finally finished YR11.

The card:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga...dr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-304-ea.html

Any help will be much appreciated.

Associate
The inevitable... yet more people moaning about price... and probably rightfully so. These are current (post price-drop) 980 prices! Me, I didn't expect any less from Nvidia. Once again, MSI for shame as their MSI Gaming X card is more pricey than the founder's edition, while previous MSI Gaming cards have been on par (pricing-wise) with cards like Asus Strix and Gigabyte G1. I guess they're following in Nvidia's footsteps, they know MSI Gaming cards are gunna sell a ton so they're upping the price a bit.

My big prediction is that the 1070 won't reach the same popularity levels as the 970, simply due to the hiked up price. For a lot of people, £200 is the limit on a GPU and they will have bought cards like the R9 380 and the upcoming RX 480. Some people are willing to go £50 more and a 390/970 just about fits in. A lot more have their limits at £300 for a GPU and after that the willingness to pay that much for a GPU jhust drops off.

Folks who paid up to £300 for a 970... I doubt they'll pay £110 more for a good 1070. Even back when I was considering buying a 980 at £380ish, asking around most folks recommmended I grab a 970 instead for better value for money.

Granted there is inflation, but we inderestimate people's reluctance to pay more. Gaming has gone topsy-turvy, partially due to people not wanting to pay any more for games, despite development costs of games increasing in recent years. Development has gotta get their money somehow, pricing a game at more than $60 and people would get upset. Similar to how people are getting upset now...

I guess the best thing now is to wait for competition from AMD. Apologies for the long post, these cards will still sell like hotcakes like 1080s, but not as much as the 970 did methinks.

Associate
The inevitable... yet more people moaning about price... and probably rightfully so. These are current (post price-drop) 980 prices! Me, I didn't expect any less from Nvidia. Once again, MSI for shame as their MSI Gaming X card is more pricey than the founder's edition, while previous MSI Gaming cards have been on par (pricing-wise) with cards like Asus Strix and Gigabyte G1. I guess they're following in Nvidia's footsteps, they know MSI Gaming cards are gunna sell a ton so they're upping the price a bit.

My big prediction is that the 1070 won't reach the same popularity levels as the 970, simply due to the hiked up price. For a lot of people, £200 is the limit on a GPU and they will have bought cards like the R9 380 and the upcoming RX 480. Some people are willing to go £50 more and a 390/970 just about fits in. A lot more have their limits at £300 for a GPU and after that the willingness to pay that much for a GPU jhust drops off.

Folks who paid up to £300 for a 970... I doubt they'll pay £110 more for a good 1070. Even back when I was considering buying a 980 at £380ish, asking around most folks recommmended I grab a 970 instead for better value for money.

Granted there is inflation, but we inderestimate people's reluctance to pay more. Gaming has gone topsy-turvy, partially due to people not wanting to pay any more for games, despite development costs of games increasing in recent years. Development has gotta get their money somehow, pricing a game at more than $60 and people would get upset. Similar to how people are getting upset now...

I guess the best thing now is to wait for competition from AMD. Apologies for the long post, these cards will still sell like hotcakes like 1080s, but not as much as the 970 did methinks.

so you think 1070 prices will drop by around £50 once AMD release their line?

Associate
Well I took the plunge I'm making upgrades and putting everything in a new case anyway and my gtx 770 is good and all but I should see a good bit of difference jumping up to the 1070.
Way I'm looking at it its faster than a R9 Fury X and cheaper, faster than the gtx 980 and about the same price.

Soldato

The Strix is the most expensive air cooled card, it's £480. MSI can do one, but not as much as Asus :p

Soldato
I never thought I'd catch myself SERIOUSLY considering a move to AMD... but it of course depends on the price/performance of their cards, and we just don't know that for sure yet. In my mind the mere fact Nvidia have me thinking this way shows how badly these have been priced. Will just have to see what happens over the next couple of months as fortunately I'm in no rush.

Associate
It is a bit high but as other have said anyone buying one now with amd cards so close is just plain silly. Even if they don't end up getting an amd card we can hope competition will force prices down as this is clearly a price gouge.

Plenty are saying the price is reasonable when compared to a 980ti which it is comparable to but that is thing it isn't comparable in the sense that this card replaces the 970 at that price bracket. Yes you get better performance but it is new gen so it should. 970 gave similar performance to the 780ti on release but we didn't get a huge price gouge.

Back
Top Bottom