• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
This is the issue that I'm having with my new MSI Gaming 970. Only one fan is working, the other gets stuck and you can see it twitching trying to spin up. Not only that but the coil whine is horrendous, to the point that it's giving me a headache. I've already got an RMA number from OCUK, so the card is going back for a full refund.

The problem: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ul1wzqpsh0i333z/20141020140005.MTS?dl=0

Associate
I get black screen every so often on my Gigabyte, mainly when the monitors come out of standby. They come on then go off for a few secs then come back on, minor inconvenience but its there alright !

Surprised we've not had drivers TBH with Borderlands coming out, its usually well supported.

yeah b/c they're always in bed with Gameworks! :D

Caporegime
This is the issue that I'm having with my new MSI Gaming 970. Only one fan is working,

Hopefully next time people will actually read what I write...

Don't buy MSI unless you want to have a fan issue risk, sure you might be fine, but can you really trust a developer that blames the user? :confused:

Soldato
Ok Sir, I'll take heed next time I read some of your advice :p

To be honest though, it could have been a different brand of card, it just so happens that it's MSI. These cards are massed produced, so there's always going to be a bad batch, not saying that this is an excuse, because it isn't. It's no skin off my back as it's going back for a full refund, including shipping costs.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

have you raised your theory with nvidia (forums or whatever)? i posted on the geforce forums about my probs with d3 but i haven't seen a lot of talk about 'power state' lag anywhere.

Yes, I submitted a bug report and they've acknowledged it's a driver issue and might require a bios revision as well.

Permabanned
Palit GTX970 and EK GTX670 Full Cover Blocks

Just incase anyone was wondering they fit like a glove :D

2014%2B-%2B1

2014%2B-%2B3

2014%2B-%2B7

The twins

2014%2B-%2B8

Permabanned
Those are really nice blocks, no chips on the back of the Palit cards?

Nope all the chips are surrounding the core, means that all 4Gb of VRAM is cooled by the block.

I meant nice in that they're the only full cover blocks I've seen on them so far. Aesthetics don't really bother me.

Any block that fits the reference GTX670 should bolt straight onto these cards, pretty sure Inno3D use the same PCB so it should fit in them too.

And I'm a big fan of the circles.

I ordered the wrong size EK bridge though so the build is delayed now by a couple of days :(

Associate
Yes, I submitted a bug report and they've acknowledged it's a driver issue and might require a bios revision as well.

oh nice one. got link? :)

edit: just saw it on mine, tried to boost to 1350 with volts only at 1.1 which isn't even the stock voltage for this card (1.21).

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

if your in sli just add +30 to gpu1 in afterburner and your volts should be pretty close then :)

Works as a temp dirty workaround for the voltage offset but it does nothing to fix the voltage/power state transition lag which is the main cause of crashes when OC'd.

Associate
Works as a temp dirty workaround for the voltage offset but it does nothing to fix the voltage/power state transition lag which is the main cause of crashes when OC'd.

I can confirm this as a definite cause for crashes my end too (I have Giga G1 970).

If I clock it up to say +25mv & +170 core (equates to 1550mhz boost) then run firestrike, it will often crash in the first 2 seconds. However if i run another gpu task in the background such as GPU-Z render test, then run firestrike - it will always get through the benchmark fine!

I assume this is because the gpu-z render test is keeping the core at max turbo and volts at max (1.250v), meaning the voltage step up lag is not occurring.

Back
Top Bottom