• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Got my EVGA ACX 2.0 SC card and installed it now. was worried as my case was making a noise as if something was hitting a fan. found the cuase - it was the gpu power connectors. as the gpu is shorter than the gpu it has replaced the connectors where right where my side fans are. ive unplugged them now so i dont get the noise.

something people may be trying to find out;
- this GPU is smaller than the Palit OC GTX 770 which i had to wiggle about abit to get into my case.
- only needs 2x 6pin connectors.

will be playing some games today to see how it goes.

Few weeks on from my OC second batch of msi 970. Now gaming at 1440p and with a decent overclock the card remains virtually silent and not a peep of coil whine. Whether I'm lucky or not I don't know but I've got my value for performance card I always wanted and I'm glad the 970 performs so well at 1440p. Previously had a 780ti but I had issues with its energy use and heat. (sold it on before the big price tumble and tbh the 970 performs virtually identical with less noise and heat and I made money on my card swap) A win win for me in my case. Can't say I feel the need at all for sli.

Last edited:
I can confirm this as a definite cause for crashes my end too (I have Giga G1 970).

If I clock it up to say +25mv & +170 core (equates to 1550mhz boost) then run firestrike, it will often crash in the first 2 seconds. However if i run another gpu task in the background such as GPU-Z render test, then run firestrike - it will always get through the benchmark fine!

I assume this is because the gpu-z render test is keeping the core at max turbo and volts at max (1.250v), meaning the voltage step up lag is not occurring.

my other option on d3 is just to uncap the frame rate, that leaves it in boost state permanently.

cant really tell the difference playing wow using DSR for 4K apart form the mouse takes longer to move across the screen lol

Lol, you should try Battlefield 4 then, its horrible! Every flare, smoke or flashbang gets enchanced and most of the time you can't see a thing, while the enemy can clearly see you. It's pretty annoying, but then again, it didn't really make it look any better in the first place. :D

Has anyone had any problem with unstable overclocks freezing the system instead of having the driver reset and recover?

Every single time my screen freeze, system is unresponsive and I have to reboot. On my GTX 670 if the OC was unstable it would just do the driver reset.

From reading around on the net I haven't seen anyone else with this problem. Pretty annoying. Anyone else had it?

Has anyone had any problem with unstable overclocks freezing the system instead of having the driver reset and recover?

Every single time my screen freeze, system is unresponsive and I have to reboot. On my GTX 670 if the OC was unstable it would just do the driver reset.

From reading around on the net I haven't seen anyone else with this problem. Pretty annoying. Anyone else had it?

hum...i think with unstable o/c's, all bets are off. maybe it driver resets, maybe it freezes, maybe it blue screens.

Your CPU may be working harder to keep up with the 970 so be sure you are stable if overclocked.

From what I can understand people are having driver crashes due to instability with extra voltage? My G1 was the same it absolutely hates any extra voltage in a select few games so I've had to overclock a mild but satisfactory +100 core +300 memory on stock volts (haven't seen a crash since so will stay like this until maybe a driver release teases me)

Yeah, get all kinds with overclocks that are too high - driver resets, hard locks, blue screens, one card dropping out of SLI and stuttering etc.

It's not a problem or even a driver issue - that just what happens when you push things too far.

Been speaking to one of the CS reps at Galax about the voltage/power state lag issue and the offset voltage in SLI and he's got the engineers looking at it.

Galaxy US

I forwarded the info you provided along with the link to your thread in the GeForce forums to our engineers and they're looking into it now. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back on this.

CPU isn't being pushed harder, whacked a few extra 0.02-3 vcore and changed valley to 1440p 8x AA, FPS is lower and thus less CPU load.

I understand these things can happen with GPU oc'ing, its just I have never experienced ONLY freezing to be the sign you've pushed too far. I've always had the driver resets.

Ah well, seem to be stable at 1506 / 2000, an extra 10 or 20 core mhz won't make a huge difference.

Been speaking to one of the CS reps at Galax about the voltage/power state lag issue and the offset voltage in SLI and he's got the engineers looking at it.

do you have a link to your thread on the geforce forums? had a quick browse but i find their search function pretty impenetrable.

Managed to get hold of a Asus 970 Strix, installed it last night checked it worked then I had to open the books and continue uni work :( The card is sat there taunting me that I can't use it yet.

Nice bit of kit though, love the 0db fan system :D

Got my MSI.

So far so good so I'm happy. Planning on setting my own manual fan curve since I'd rather have the fans spinning a small bit.

Anyone have any good fan curve settings they've tried out?

Back
Top Bottom