• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia GTX 980 Owners Thread

Associate
I went with an Msi gaming card I did not see the 8 pack one till after I bought it already.
However the 980 just isn't powerful enough even Overclocked to 1507 core and just under 8000 mem clock. It's close but still has too many large dips at times. With Gta maxed out pretty much apart from msaa at x4 and shadows just at soft (1080p) it can still drop to low 40s on occasion when normally the fps is much much higher.
Im not sure if it's my setup but all the synthetic benchmarks are saying there's nothing wrong but still I'm not getting the fps I expected or need, in some games. Gta v, witcher 3 and especially project cars. Which I know ain't easy games to run
So going for a gtx 980ti, if my gf doesn't kill me as I've only been back PC gaming for 2 months and so far I've had a r9 290 which died on me, 750ti, r9 290, gtx 970, gtx 980 so five gpu's in 2 months all used so not too bad and I've sold the last one I had to make money up for a new one each time but still....
Also need to upgrade my cpu from an i5 4670 to a i7 4790k.
Then I should just about have what I need.

Could be a number of reasons for the frame rate drop. The new patch has lowered fps somehow and most cards struggle with the grass textures in the game. Should have gotten a 980ti from the start if you could.

Associate
Could be a number of reasons for the frame rate drop. The new patch has lowered fps somehow and most cards struggle with the grass textures in the game. Should have gotten a 980ti from the start if you could.

Indeed. And yes I should have done just that. But people bs and say there card can run this and that at X fps, when truth is for me at least only the very latest and high end card will do. I forgot that.

Soldato

Gaming at 2556x1440p+DSR:3620x2036 my monitors refresh rate is 60Hz so have capped my GPU:980Ti/FPS to 75, games smooth as Silk no Stutters, Ultra settings.

Try capping your FPS.

Man of Honour
Soldato
OK guys, bit of overclocking advice needed.

I've got a couple of MSI reference 980s (reference PCB, reference cooler), what sort of an overclock do people typical get on these sort of cards? (i.e. roughly what should my starting values be?)

What do you use to test for core stability and what do you use to check for memory stability?

Thanks.

Associate
hi guys,

Dip**** here chucked out my thermal pads when I covered my reference 980 with a EKWB water block. I am now putting a 980Ti into my machine and moving the 980 to the other halves, so I need to reinstall the stock cooler. I have googled online and found the exact placement area for the thermal pads. However, I do not know the correct thickness these pads need to be. Is there anyone out there that has replaced the thermal pads on a 980 reference and could possibly share with me the thickness of pads used?

Cheers
J

EDIT: Found this, funny what comes up when you ask the right question https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59314

I will go with 1mm then, but if anyone still does have input please share. Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
OK guys, bit of overclocking advice needed.

I've got a couple of MSI reference 980s (reference PCB, reference cooler), what sort of an overclock do people typical get on these sort of cards? (i.e. roughly what should my starting values be?)

What do you use to test for core stability and what do you use to check for memory stability?

Thanks.

I have the same card. Hopefully yours have Samsung VRAM too. I have mine clocked to 1531MHz core and 8000MHz mem 1.25v watercooled. Custom BIOS with boost disabled.

Core and memory stability I use a few loops of Heaven and Valley followed up by an hour or two of GTA V. I've found if I'm GTA stable then I'm stable with everything else.

Lol nvm I have just seen how old this post is :o what happened to this thread :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom