• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVidia PCSS Vs AMD CHS GTA V

Caporegime
I thought I would experiment with the games settings and after always using NVidia's PCSS (Percentage Closer Soft Shadows), I thought I would try AMD's CHS (Contact Hardening Shadows) and I was quite surprised at how bad it was. As you can see from the video, it is a bit of a mess.

Video still encoding.

It doesn't blur the shadows, that's how shadows actually look instead of being really darkened and sharp. As said above though, that's not the problem here.

I'm not taking it personal, you're the one trying to defend AMD's option without even watching the video.

No way I could play with AMD's CHS and that would be a proper spoiler for me. I don't mind the odd glitch here or there but that is broken :(

Edit:

I am sure it is working perfect for you Shanks and must be broken for me when all the other options work fine except for AMD's implementation.

Last edited:
Didn't notice that issue on my 290, will try to go looking for it later.

Both look crap compared to the "softest" setting anyway imo.

It doesn't blur the shadows, that's how shadows actually look instead of being really darkened and sharp. As said above though, that's not the problem here.

I'm not taking it personal, you're the one trying to defend AMD's option without even watching the video.

You correct I did jump the gun, but I wasn't expecting to see the shadows dissappear? I just jumping right down to the effect and why I like AMDs more.. Sure shadows blur but only as some distance and nvidia seems to blur it all a little bit over the top.

No way I could play with AMD's CHS and that would be a proper spoiler for me. I don't mind the odd glitch here or there but that is broken :(

Edit:

I am sure it is working perfect for you Shanks and must be broken for me when all the other options work fine except for AMD's implementation.

Well it is an AMD optimised setting so. Maybe, just maybe Gregster they is a bug when running on nvidia? Not rocket science to understand that mate..

Like I said it works perfectly fine here and when home will also upload a video just for you.. Am sure other guys running Amd can back me up on this.. For. Once just stop thinking am defending amd for the sake of it.. Because you be very wrong..

I given my options why I like CHS better.. Personal options here that's all.

Back
Top Bottom