• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVidia PCSS Vs AMD CHS GTA V

I took a few comparisons at 4K. Settings are everything cranked with MSAA 4X and Reflection MSAA at 2x

Did some quick screens.

The two technologies seem to take a totally different approach. You can actually see that AMD's CHS renders shadows where NVIDIA's technology does not. CHS however doesn't seem to weaken the shadow as it grows in length. It's arguable which looks better. Frankly, until this debate I can't say I would have noticed, yet NVSS has a much more natural look in this respect. Generally speaking the outer edge of a shadow will diminish as the light source diminishes, or the further away it gets.

(4K SCREENSHOTS)

The first one is a good example of the strength and lack of diminishing. The flags on the far wall near the truck when using AMD's CCH look as if they're painted on. Keep in mind this at dusk, so the light is weaker.

NVIDIA Soft Shadow

MU4ghwU.jpg
AMD CHS

mHPOqE8.jpg

NVIDIA Soft Shadow

WknK2mI.jpg
AMD CHS

rcqxpZR.jpg

In this last comparison, AMD's appears more natural casting the fence shadow, but it also casts shadows in places where there shouldn't be any. To the left of the ladder under the window, the light should be able to reach there given the other shadows.

NVIDIA Soft Shadow

JzJBon0.jpg
AMD CHS

zx5upyW.jpg

Sadly there is a lot of compression loss with imgur, seeing as OCUK haven't updated their message boards since the birth of the internet it will have to make do as I can't hot link either. Obviously not sending enough of us to the cash point to pay for it.

People can form their own opinion of which is better. I did notice some odd clipping as some have mentioned with AMD's, but overall I think it looks more appealing, with NVIDIA's SS being truer to life more often than not.

Last edited:
Really nice looking game in some area.

gt.jpg

I find AMDs are always dark, they are the same shade for everything. They look no different from how shadows look in most games.
Nvidia's implementation has a far softer look to shadows that are supposed to be softer, where light would still be reaching so the shadow should look a lighter shade/softer.

For example on the 4k images above by Silent Scone
The fencing is supposed to be a much lighter, softer, harder to see shadowing effect.
Nvidia have is spot on
AMD have the fencing just as dark as everything else, just like it would be with standard shadows. There is no effect there at all

Back
Top Bottom