• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVidia PCSS Vs AMD CHS GTA V

I tend to use Soft Shadow but mainly obviously because I'm using NVIDIA cards so naturally I'd use NVIDIA technology. I don't think whilst playing one pays enough attention to notice, but will do some 4K comparisons with the TITANS later with the Sweet FX PhotoReal config.

a short video to try and replicate the popping in, no luck.

That music is horrendous.
I'll upload my vid from laptop(nvidia) and pc (amd) that has popping with AMD CHS. Like as posted above you really have to go looking for it and mostly happens when you rotate the camera 360 deg at a low pov (close to the road)

Found it, thanks pepper.

I tried different camera angles on that spot and a few other places and couldn't see the issue. Although I use "high" shadows and have the advanced graphics turned off so perhaps one of those settings is causing an issue?

Either way back to the best shadows option.... "softest" :p

The point of PCSS is it blurs the shadow of an object as it moves further away from it's own shadow. Which is how things are in real life. It's a kind of scattering effect.

CHS does not do that from what I've seen.

Last edited:
The point of PCSS is is blurs the shadows as the object casting them moves further away from where the shadow is being cast. Which is how things are in real life.

CHS does not do that which is why they appear sharper.

So does Contact Hardening Shadows - This is what its designed to do.
Realistic shadowing is an essential ingredient of Alien: Isolation’s creepy atmosphere. To make these shadows as realistic as possible, The Creative Assembly team tapped AMD’s “contact hardening shadow” technology. This technique dynamically hardens or soften a shadow’s edges depending on the distance of the shadow from the light source and object casting that shadow.

AMD is proud to welcome Grand Theft Auto V from Rockstar Games as the newest addition to the Gaming Evolved family. We’ve been working closely with our friends in Toronto, Canada and Leeds in the UK, and as part of that collaboration the game features AMD’s Contact Hardening Shadows (CHS). This technique dynamically hardens or softens a shadow’s edges depending on the distance of the shadow from the light source and object casting that shadow. This means softer shadows that diffuse more realistically. To enable CHS in the game, simply select AMD CHS from the ’Soft Shadows’ drop down menu.

So does Contact Hardening Shadows - This is what its designed to do.
Realistic shadowing is an essential ingredient of Alien: Isolation’s creepy atmosphere. To make these shadows as realistic as possible, The Creative Assembly team tapped AMD’s “contact hardening shadow” technology. This technique dynamically hardens or soften a shadow’s edges depending on the distance of the shadow from the light source and object casting that shadow.

AMD is proud to welcome Grand Theft Auto V from Rockstar Games as the newest addition to the Gaming Evolved family. We’ve been working closely with our friends in Toronto, Canada and Leeds in the UK, and as part of that collaboration the game features AMD’s Contact Hardening Shadows (CHS). This technique dynamically hardens or softens a shadow’s edges depending on the distance of the shadow from the light source and object casting that shadow. This means softer shadows that diffuse more realistically. To enable CHS in the game, simply select AMD CHS from the ’Soft Shadows’ drop down menu.

Hmmmm I am sure I read it wasn't a gaming Evolved title. Ohhh well, I don't mind being wrong.

poor quality recording but shows similar issue to gregs original video.
im using a 290x with AMD CHS in the vid.
also happens on my nvidia laptop using AMD CHS.
does NOT happen on any other setting.

EDITED the video is back in removed the original audio and added mozart :D

Last edited:
I will try that area Weldon and see.

Has anyone actually tried adjusting things like the:

shadow setting
long shadows
high res. shadows

?

I will try that area Weldon and see.

Has anyone actually tried adjusting things like the:

shadow setting
long shadows
high res. shadows

?

I was going to stick my 7950 but someone said earlier "Just use PCSS" and that is pretty much spot on. I wouldn't bother bud and stick with what suits you on a personal level.

wasnt really payin attention to that, left the youtube code in but its no longer embedded

I got me a 2 day suspension for doing the same thing. I was so engrossed in the vid, I didn't even realise that there was a naughty word in it :(

poor quality recording but shows similar issue to gregs original video.
im using a 290x with AMD CHS in the vid.
also happens on my nvidia laptop using AMD CHS.
does NOT happen on any other setting.

EDITED the video is back in removed the original audio and added mozart :D

fixed the audio no swearing

Back
Top Bottom