• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia rumour to be launching new GTX 11 series without ray tracing

Soldato
RTX is the future and its good nvidia went that way but the technology is not there yet, ok someone had to take first step but the problem is the PRICE, drop the price and everyone will buy them.

2080TI should have max been £799 and i mean MAX.

bru

bru

Soldato
Yup as said many times before, their no such thing as a bad video card just bad prices.

Personally I think it would be a mistake to make the full range without the RTX feature set and with the 2060 heading our way, there isn't much room for the lower tier cards to come without the RTX tech.

Associate
Yup as said many times before, their no such thing as a bad video card just bad prices.

That makes a lot of sense. And pretty much sums up my issues with the way the GPU market has developed over the past few years.

Though I do feel that RTX isn't as big an improvement in performance, compared to previous generational increases. I.e. GTX 970 vs GTX780ti, GTX 1070 vs GTX980ti, RTX 2070 nowhere near the GTX 1080ti. Though again, it could be due to pricing combined with naming. The card that once might have been the 2060, Nvidia might have decided to brand 2070 to try to make the price look less BS. But that's just a guess. Some folks out there believe it's actually the case though.

Soldato
The RTX cards just need sensible pricing. As it stands its a bit of a joke and a reasonable price will urge/nudge people into buying one. 2080 and 2070 just fail as products with a usable Ray tracing feature/boost. It needs to be possible to make the 2070 Ray tracing useful going forward and drop them prices, and by half

Soldato
Our Turing prices are fine, if we thought £1400+ was going to be too expensive, then we wouldn't have set them at that would we. :p
There's a lot to be said for that.

What's even more incredible is not only are people willing to pay this price, some even enjoy paying the Asus tax on top! It's almost like they want to pay more.

Associate
OP
The RTX cards just need sensible pricing. As it stands its a bit of a joke and a reasonable price will urge/nudge people into buying one. 2080 and 2070 just fail as products with a usable Ray tracing feature/boost. It needs to be possible to make the 2070 Ray tracing useful going forward and drop them prices, and by half

It's not going to happen with NVidia in a loss making situation, they need all the profit they can get so price cuts are not an option. Trimming down the number of die on a card is a sensible work around preserving the price point saving face, and most important of all generating profits through volume sales. No company can exist for ever without profit and the pressure is certainly on the directors now. With no alternatives like self driving cars, or mining how else are NVidia going to generate profits they so urgently need?

bru

bru

Soldato
It's not going to happen with NVidia in a loss making situation, they need all the profit they can get so price cuts are not an option. Trimming down the number of die on a card is a sensible work around preserving the price point saving face, and most important of all generating profits through volume sales. No company can exist for ever without profit and the pressure is certainly on the directors now. With no alternatives like self driving cars, or mining how else are NVidia going to generate profits they so urgently need?

I don't think NVidia are anywhere near in a loss making situation, they may make a lot less profit than they would like but they will still make profit.
What's the urgency with making extra profit? Their is very little competition for them in the upper end of the market and none whatsoever in the ultra high end, it is only the lower end of the mainstream market that AMD gives good competition and arguably better options at the moment (ref: 590 vs. 1060).

Soldato
I don't think NVidia are anywhere near in a loss making situation, they may make a lot less profit than they would like but they will still make profit.
What's the urgency with making extra profit? Their is very little competition for them in the upper end of the market and none whatsoever in the ultra high end, it is only the lower end of the mainstream market that AMD gives good competition and arguably better options at the moment (ref: 590 vs. 1060).
I think you're in denial about what's happening.

Caporegime
There's a lot to be said for that.

What's even more incredible is not only are people willing to pay this price, some even enjoy paying the Asus tax on top! It's almost like they want to pay more.

Yup, so we've set the prices, if we want to set them lower, all we have to do, is to stop buying them, then they'll drop, but we won't. :D

Associate
If this does happen along with navi next year the poor old average consumer won't know what to do. Dozens of new cards all with roughly same performance as 2 years ago.

Associate
OP
Ok so what do you think is happening?

"Graphics processing unit (GPU) producer Nvidia is facing a class action lawsuit over the losses reported by the company when lower crypto prices diminished demand for GPUs by miners".

Given that Nvidia is the worst performing stock and is reporting losses I'd say it has a pretty big problem to address.

Associate
I doubt they will release any cards without rtx as that would cause developers to lose faith in Nvidia and not bother developing games with the RTX feature

The only cards I can see them developing without RTX is the 2030 and 2050/2050ti as they're far to low end to be able to handle it

Also if it is true about AMD naming their Navi cards 30xx then Nvidia having a 11xx/20xx will be extremely confusing for the average Joe's so they'll be more than likely to pick Navi due to thinking bigger number=better

Soldato
This time last year I couldn't wait to see what would be available to replace my 1080ti. Presently, I wouldn't buy an RTX2080ti if they halved the RRP, that's how much they've damaged their brand. It's no surprise to me that they're losing money.

It's not just the price point that has damaged them, the tech is just awful. Poor performance, too many gimmicks and the risk I'll have to RMA the space Invaders away.

The best move I made was buying the 5 year warranty extension with my 1080ti, as Nvidia has totally killed my enthusiasm.

Man of Honour
Seems like a logical response. I wonder if they're afraid at the prospect of the next ps5/xbox2 eating into sales as well a since they'll likely be out towards the end of next year or sometime in 2020.

Given the current pricing of RTX cards I can see a lot of gamers abandoning the PC market in favour of much cheaper, and increasingly equally capable, consoles. When you look at what high and consoles like the Xbox X and PS4 pro are capable of I'm finding it very hard to make a case for spending thousands on PC hardware.

That's also before you start wondering whether game streaming takes off as well which could negate the need for high end hardware.....

We've been here before though; it's all very cyclical with PC gaming supposedly under threat from consoles but never actually getting killed off. PCs have never been a particularly good value proposition for gaming and have always relied on differentiators to retain buyers.
Let's be honest, the sort of cards we are talking about here are very high end and likely to be used to drive >60hz gaming which is still something yet to be cracked by consoles, the sort of people buying these GPUs are heavy enthusiasts who will pay a premium for elite tier products.

To be fair consoles have closed off some of the gaps that always let them down like online distribution / multiplayer, richer functionality (web apps etc) but because they have to hit a mainstream price point they never have top tier tech on board.

Soldato
Let's be honest, the sort of cards we are talking about here are very high end and likely to be used to drive >60hz gaming which is still something yet to be cracked by consoles

Oh really, not according to the latest PS5 rumours ;)

When speaking on the topic of Sony's plans in terms of the next-generation of video game consoles, Pachter said that:
"I think they will probably have that 4K and 240 FPS device that’ll support PSVR"

https://www-t3-com.cdn.ampproject.o...to-leave-xbox-two-desperate-for-counterstrike

Back
Top Bottom