• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Soldato
That's what I said :D

The tech itself has been around for ages.

:)

You said Nvidia ignored the Framework, they didn't. There was no framework in place for desktop GPUs back then. VRR was used for power saving features in APUs and Laptops. There was no requirement for this kind of power saving in desktop GPUs, that's why desktop GPUs didn't have the hardware to connect to adaptive sync monitors before GCN 1.1 GPUs. It's why Nvidia came up with a solution that didn't require any hardware on the GPU side apart from supporting display port 1.2. Which is why Gsync works on older GPU's but Freesync doesn't.

Man of Honour
looks like it with the pointy red bit on the stand. interesting if it is, the 29um69g is a fairly budget end monitor, at least for an ultrawide, with only 40 - 75 hz freesync range

I wonder if it still only runs to 60Hz via the adaptive sync spec with an nVidia card and the higher refresh via FreeSync can't be enabled in the OSD without an AMD card and is part of the problem with it flickering. nVidia might be enforcing a lower minimum refresh as well which might be kicking out the panels that can't adjust to it.

Associate
I wonder if it still only runs to 60Hz via the adaptive sync spec with an nVidia card and the higher refresh via FreeSync can't be enabled in the OSD without an AMD card and is part of the problem with it flickering. nVidia might be enforcing a lower minimum refresh as well which might be kicking out the panels that can't adjust to it.
yeah, my guess is that its something like that. I have had a Samsung monitor that is freesync 40 - 75 hz, but is locked to 60 without freesync, and I tried overclocking it and it went all to poo over 65hz

Permabanned
OP
Wrong sorry, There is a hardware requirement on the GPU side for supporting Adaptive Sync, hardware that's not normally needed on a desktop GPU which is why AMD's first demonstration was using laptops. This is why Nvidia needed a module. AMD had been working on adaptive sync and had built the support for it into their second generation GCN GPUs. It's why Older GCN cards aren't fully compatible with Adaptive sync despite having display port 1.2. And the Laptop standard is why First Generation APU's from AMD have support.

I remember AMD also demonstrating VRR on a desktop panel, even the suggestion that many existing desktop panels could work with a firmware update.

I also remember reading that Nvidia GPUs lacked the required scaler tech to control VRR panels. I'm not sure if the 9 series does lack it, but have read that the 10 series and up will offer support. Why would they then hold back such support until now?

Permabanned

Okay so from 2:20 the presenter talks about the second of 2 issues Nvidia have said they've had when trying to validate adaptive sync monitors, that's the blinking issue. When the presenter asked how many had the blinking issue in particular? the response was a vague some have had both issues answer which tells us nothing about how common it is. But, with only 12 of 400 claimed as not being sub par we can safely presume they're saying it happens a lot, Next Nvidia told you that the non-validated blinking Freesync monitor also blinks when running Freesync on AMD cards,
If true it's either a faulty monitor or simply a cheap knock-off that's unfit for use at which point it needs to be returned to wherever it was bought from.
Nvidia say this is a common issue,
Really?
I've not heard of it before now. My 75hz uw1440 Freesync monitor runs perfectly with Radeon Freesync enabled, It has a 30-75 hz working range which also supports what AMD call LFC (Low Framerate Compensator) which is a technique AMD came up with after looking at how Nvidia's G-sync deal with ultra low framerates ie: dips under 30.

Then to finish it all off Nvidia won't name monitor's or provide a list of monitors it tested & classed as non validated, leaving people with Freesync monitors to either risk it or play it safe and use what works. ie: Radeon gpu's
So does this all sound plausible to you?

On an added note isn't the blinking monitor one of the really wide ultrawides not a 21:9 model.

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember AMD also demonstrating VRR on a desktop panel, even the suggestion that many existing desktop panels could work with a firmware update.

They demonstrated it on a Nixeus monitor at Computex in June 2014. And there was talk of firmware updates to monitors but it turned out to be a more involving process than just a firmware update. IIyama, for example, had monitor that would have worked with adaptive sync and they were offering a service where you sent the monitor to them and they would update it and send it back to you. But, again, it would have too much effort and was cancelled.

I also remember reading that Nvidia GPUs lacked the required scaler tech to control VRR panels. I'm not sure if the 9 series does lack it, but have read that the 10 series and up will offer support. Why would they then hold back such support until now?

I definitely read somewhere that the 9 series doesn't support the display port 1.2a standard.

Why hold back support for Pascal until now? Business decision? Maybe they feel now the time is right to support adaptive sync. The Gsync brand they have developed over the past few years has become known as a premium brand. Maybe they feel that they have strong enough brand now to keep those looking for a high end experience buying the monitors with the module, while still offering a sync tech to those who aren't willing to pay the high end tax of Gsync but have a Nvidia GPU.

Associate

Then to finish it all off Nvidia won't name monitor's or provide a list of monitors it tested & classed as non validated, leaving people with Freesync monitors to either risk it or play it safe and use what works. ie: Radeon gpu's
So does this all sound plausible to you?

On an added note isn't the blinking monitor one of the really wide ultrawides not a 21:9 model.

They don't want to name and shame their partners. The list of gsync compatible monitors is easy to work with. If its not one of them, you are on your own. I think its a good thing nVidia is trying to bring the wild west of FreeSync monitors under control. There is a lot of crap out there and very few good monitors.

Permabanned
I've had that blinking on my Freesync screen with my Vega 64.
It's intermittent and is okay depending on driver/game.

That's not the same thing, there's been plenty of flickering issues, the webs full of them & they eventually get solved via a Radeon driver update, Nvidia are claiming that they're running into hardware issues like they expect every monitor to behave like those with a module inside & if they don't they're not fit for purpose, If they genuinely intend to support adaptive sync they'll have to do some work on the driver side not simply refuse to validate that model & tell people they can buy our card and try their luck.

Man of Honour
If they genuinely intend to support adaptive sync they'll have to do some work on the driver side not simply refuse to validate that model & tell people they can buy our card and try their luck.

Gonna be an interesting one to see what comes out in the wash - it could be that the panels are "faulty" in how they operate and AMD is simply building tolerance for it into the drivers at the expense of latency or image quality, etc. or it could be nVidia sticking to some version of the standard just to be awkward or lazy and so on.

Associate
I see the BenQ/Zowie XL2740 is on the supported list, I have the XL2730Z paired with a 1080Ti, wonder how that will behave with these new drivers/gsync.
If its not supported properly I think i'll just move forward with my plan to move to 34" gsync ultrawide and give the BenQ to my son. Will be interesting to see, roll on next week :)

Permabanned
They don't want to name and shame their partners. The list of gsync compatible monitors is easy to work with. If its not one of them, you are on your own. I think its a good thing nVidia is trying to bring the wild west of FreeSync monitors under control. There is a lot of crap out there and very few good monitors.

They don't want to name & shame them is rubbish, If they were being straight about it and it was a widespread issue & they didn't want to point the finger at anyone they wouldn't of chosen one of those extra wide ultrawide monitors to show the problem, How many companies actually make those monitors?

Soldato
I see the BenQ/Zowie XL2740 is on the supported list, I have the XL2730Z paired with a 1080Ti, wonder how that will behave with these new drivers/gsync.
If its not supported properly I think i'll just move forward with my plan to move to 34" gsync ultrawide and give the BenQ to my son. Will be interesting to see, roll on next week :)

Same. I've got two rigs, main gaming rig is AMD in my signature with the BenQ XL2730Z, and second rig with a 1080ti so I'm in the same boat.

Could be interesting.

Permabanned
Gonna be an interesting one to see what comes out in the wash - it could be that the panels are "faulty" in how they operate and AMD is simply building tolerance for it into the drivers at the expense of latency or image quality, etc. or it could be nVidia sticking to some version of the standard just to be awkward or lazy and so on.

Definitely, Let's hope they realize that they will need to do a lot of work on the software side of it if they really want to offer a decent level of support,
90% of the people who saw this announcement and actually see an opportunity to buy and try RTX features already own a Freesync monitor and by using their numbers my rough math puts it at somewhere close to 70 or 80 % of those having non validated models.

Oh well at least AMD can make a sigh of relief :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Err come again? Gsyncs floor is 30hz and after that it does the same as what LFC for freesync is meant to do which is doubling the frames until it goes over the floor(which again is 30hz in the case of gsync). VRR gaming at sub 55ish is trash imho so i don't understand the out cry about 40-48hz freesync floor vs gsync 30hz as long as the monitor is supporting LFC properly. Now if we were talking about the 60hz monitors with a floor of 48hz then i would certainly agree that its not that useful but then we are talking about a poor implementation of freesync instead freesync itself being bad. There is a distinction to be made there.

Well here is the thing, ULMB is an nvidia feature and is NOT supported on every gsync monitor so even if you stick to a pure nvidia ecosystem you still have to do the research, there is no getting around it.

Thanks so nvidia putting 1fps as the floor in that document is misleading, its actually 30fps for gsync.

For us 30-60fps gamers it sounds like VRR monitors have limited use, for me the usefulness is if I am playing game with vsync on at 60fps but I dont want the stutter that would happen if 60fps cannot be maintained. For that to be smooth a floor of 30fps or lower would be needed.

Caporegime
Err come again? Gsyncs floor is 30hz and after that it does the same as what LFC for freesync is meant to do which is doubling the frames until it goes over the floor(which again is 30hz in the case of gsync). VRR gaming at sub 55ish is trash imho so i don't understand the out cry about 40-48hz freesync floor vs gsync 30hz as long as the monitor is supporting LFC properly. Now if we were talking about the 60hz monitors with a floor of 48hz then i would certainly agree that its not that useful but then we are talking about a poor implementation of freesync instead freesync itself being bad. There is a distinction to be made there.
No, G-Sync works all the way down to 1fps and I tested it at 14 fps. Not playable but continued smoothly.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Dissecting-G-Sync-and-FreeSync-How-Technologies-Differ

Worth a read to help straighten misleading things out and they show it on test in a vid.

Back
Top Bottom