• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Volta with GDDR6 in early 2018?

Associate
I'm waiting for the 2080 series, maybe even the 2080ti depending of the time difference.

My 1080 will be fine until then, unless there's a drastic price decrease of the 1080ti. Fingers crossed!

Soldato
Unless you have so much money you dont know what to do with it I personally feel that "upgrading" from a 1080 to a 1080ti right now makes little sense. If you had sold the 1080 before price drop it might have been an okay idea but now with the 1080 costing the same as the 1070 did on release it makes little sense due to the 2nd hand value and only 20-25% performance increase. In this situation I would rather bet on SLI and get a 2nd hand 1080 spite all the doom and gloom about mGPUs in here.

Caporegime
This is why I'm hoping top-end Vega is Ti level (even if it's DX12/Vulkan only), my LG panel quality-wise is def a step above anything I've ever used (the 75Hz max being the only caveatg, but I find if I keep it above 67-68fps then it's livable with) :cool:
I hear that. I first ran mine at 60Hz to check all was good and it was proper meh in terms of feeling the input lag but as soon as I put it to 100Hz, no input lag feel at all.

Soldato
This is why I'm hoping top-end Vega is Ti level (even if it's DX12/Vulkan only), my LG panel quality-wise is def a step above anything I've ever used (the 75Hz max being the only caveatg, but I find if I keep it above 67-68fps then it's livable with) :cool:
me too, because of the size of the 38uc99 and iq and vivid colour I can forgive any of its short comings, ive put off playing rise of the tomb raider waiting for vega to power this baby

Man of Honour
Never owned a 29" UW but I can imagine it being pretty awful on that!!

Its pretty decent for a lot of stuff - I've got a 29" UW (2913wm) alongside my s2716dg - I tried replacing it with a higher res 34" UW but didn't really get on with it - probably have been less of an issue if it was my main monitor but I can't see myself adopting UW as my main monitor.

Soldato
This is not really an argument.

4k is happening. The rest of the media world doesn't care one bit about 1440p. 4k will become the new standard, just like 1080p was/is.

Hmm. It's considerably more challenging than the jump to 1080p was, so it's "happening" much slower.

Caporegime
4K is really the next "major" step for gaming and it will happen. Console gaming on a 1080P TV was pretty poor and you needed to sit well back to un-notice the blockiness and as PC gamers, we sit pretty damned close to the screen, so again, 28" 1080P can look very blocky but I also felt that 1440P was the sweetspot for IQ and 28". 4K 28" I felt was a bit of a waste really, as visually I couldn't see the difference between 1440P and 4K but could obviously notice the difference with games running a bit slower.

4K is the future and that is that simple!

Associate
I still find some games have a feeling like you are viewing them through a letterbox with ultra-wide especially 3rd person games, less so first person.

Some games but a little proggy sorts that out called 'Flawless Widescreen'. Most games run natively without issue but a few oldies need that program.

Hmmm, think i'll stay away from it then. I remember getting the feeling when i went from 17' to 22' wayyyy back, hah. Cheers guys

Associate
4K is really the next "major" step for gaming and it will happen. Console gaming on a 1080P TV was pretty poor and you needed to sit well back to un-notice the blockiness and as PC gamers, we sit pretty damned close to the screen, so again, 28" 1080P can look very blocky but I also felt that 1440P was the sweetspot for IQ and 28". 4K 28" I felt was a bit of a waste really, as visually I couldn't see the difference between 1440P and 4K but could obviously notice the difference with games running a bit slower.

4K is the future and that is that simple!

4K 32" will probably be a good sweet-spot. Same size pixels as 16" 1080p, so pretty damn small, and then 32" will fill a huge amount of your vision at PC monitor distance.

really, 4K is just a stop-gap!

Stop-gap to 8K?

I question whether 8K will really be needed for PC monitors. It has uses for editing 4K video while being able to see the full resolution of said video, but in terms of pixel-size to normal sitting distance, it'll be unnecessary.

An 80" 8K PC monitor will have the same pixel size as a 20" 1080p monitor, and I don't think I've heard anyone complain about sharpness on a 20" 1080p monitor. I use 24" 1080p currently myself, and I can't see the pixels at 2 feet away.

I think 8K will only be used for: Editing, VR, and extreme sized home-cinema TVs/Projectors (like more than 100").

Soldato
really, 4K is just a stop-gap!
Everything seems to be a stop gap for buying Bluray discs, if you ask me it looks like a way to con people out of more money when remasters of films come out that you already own.. Luckily most stuff already shot in the past is only suitable up to 4K.

But regarding games, in a recent Digital Foundry video, Richard said we would need a TV 4x bigger than the one they were using to make use of 8K.. so it looks like it's pointless unless you have a really huge screen or a projected image even. I don't care about 4K becoming the standard or whatever at the moment, i went 1440p because i know games will run fine at that resolution without issues and they do really. For video and stuff i couldn't really care less on my PC as they already look as good as i need, I'd care more about that on TV.

Plus I've heard more than 1 person saying 1080p Blurays played on a 4K telly look good, so i don't see a problem.

Caporegime
4K 32" will probably be a good sweet-spot. Same size pixels as 16" 1080p, so pretty damn small, and then 32" will fill a huge amount of your vision at PC monitor distance.

Stop-gap to 8K?

I question whether 8K will really be needed for PC monitors. It has uses for editing 4K video while being able to see the full resolution of said video, but in terms of pixel-size to normal sitting distance, it'll be unnecessary.

An 80" 8K PC monitor will have the same pixel size as a 20" 1080p monitor, and I don't think I've heard anyone complain about sharpness on a 20" 1080p monitor. I use 24" 1080p currently myself, and I can't see the pixels at 2 feet away.

I think 8K will only be used for: Editing, VR, and extreme sized home-cinema TVs/Projectors (like more than 100").

I agree with the above, but remember that everyone will want to make your 4K technology obsolete and force you to upgrade to 8K.

VR will be the most liekly use for gaming.

Associate
Unless you have so much money you dont know what to do with it I personally feel that "upgrading" from a 1080 to a 1080ti right now makes little sense. If you had sold the 1080 before price drop it might have been an okay idea but now with the 1080 costing the same as the 1070 did on release it makes little sense due to the 2nd hand value and only 20-25% performance increase. In this situation I would rather bet on SLI and get a 2nd hand 1080 spite all the doom and gloom about mGPUs in here.

It did cross my mind to do a SLI setup, but with all the poor reviews of it, I thought I'd pass.

Couldn't afford a 1080ti at the moment, plus like you said it's not worth the upgrade from a 1080.

Looking forward to the new generation of cards.

Soldato
Wont need your PC when scorpio drops :p Cheap 4K ultra gaming yo!
Nice bait when the argument drops. You deny that you made out that Scorpio or PS4 can't provide 4k at 30 or 60FPS but you did and when people challenged you on it you try to move goal posts and deter from the fact it is happening. PS4 Pro is providing a 4k experience in gaming and scorpio which is a more powerful machine by a significant margin compared to the PS4 will also be providing a 4k experience targeting that 60FPS.

No one ever said that it will be better than PC gaming at 4k but it will be pushing towards 4k making it more of a standard No one ever said it will be 4k60FPS Ultra gaming either. I said it's comparable to PC, anyway you would have to be naive to think otherwise. You only notice the minor details when you do side by side analysis and look for the small things. Obviously comparing a PC that does 4k 60FPS already on some games vs say consoles that are doing 1080p is a noticable difference but when consoles bring 4k to the table then it will change. Lets be honest consoles gaming leads the way for gaming at the moment and has done for a while where PC gamers tend to get crappy ports and PC gamers are looked at after the consoles. Its why games tend to be targeted at mostly high to medium settings because that is what the consoles was targeted at and optimised at so when you go from high settings on a PC to ultra you tend to get little improvement to visual quality but a noticeable impact to performance. Going from medium to high gives a noticeable improvement to visual quality but not so much impact to performance. So once consoles bring 4k content to gamers like scorpio will, it will start making 4k a standard.

Just like PS3 and Xbox 360 did for HD content.

Last edited:
Associate
All Sony and Microsoft have to do for they're next consoles is give the games mouse and keyboard support. If the Scorpio and PS5 or whatever it will be called can really run native 4k 60 at a cost of about £500 - £600 then mid-range and below for PC gaming is dead. Especially now that top end cards are so ridiculously priced. I have already said to my lad that the days of his free upgrades are numbered as I will be going Scorpio if they can pull off the 4k 60FPS with KB & Mouse support. My current PC will be fine for internet etc.... and the crazy thing is....WE are to blame for it all for buying overpriced cards. :(

Soldato
Bore off r7slayer. Give me that list of amazing 4k games on the pro that I've asked for at least 3 times now or just go away. Nobody cares.

All Sony and Microsoft have to do for they're next consoles is give the games mouse and keyboard support. If the Scorpio and PS5 or whatever it will be called can really run native 4k 60 at a cost of about £500 - £600 then mid-range and below for PC gaming is dead. Especially now that top end cards are so ridiculously priced. I have already said to my lad that the days of his free upgrades are numbered as I will be going Scorpio if they can pull off the 4k 60FPS with KB & Mouse support. My current PC will be fine for internet etc.... and the crazy thing is....WE are to blame for it all for buying overpriced cards. :(

MS just recently announced official K+M support for the ONE (limited hardware at first) so all it takes is for the devs to to include support in games :)

Back
Top Bottom