• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Volta with GDDR6 in early 2018?

Caporegime
Probably because of issues the 480 had. And reviewers don't go back to cards already reviewed so when they fixed the issues and even managed to get the 480 chip to perform better no one cared. So they rebranded to a 580 so reviewers would look at them and yea they performed better but people was like its just a 480 rebrand so it still got lots of flak.

This time though seem they have done something similar again Furyx -> Vega lol.

Yup, now I understand why they did it. Shame they had to though.

Associate
Probably because of issues the 480 had. And reviewers don't go back to cards already reviewed so when they fixed the issues and even managed to get the 480 chip to perform better no one cared. So they rebranded to a 580 so reviewers would look at them and yea they performed better but people was like its just a 480 rebrand so it still got lots of flak.

This time though seem they have done something similar again Furyx -> Vega lol.

Nonsense. Reviewers do go back after big updates. Rebranding occurs when they a) have nothing else to show for for whatever reason, or b) there is no market incentive to release actual new hardware.

Soldato
Nonsense. Reviewers do go back after big updates. Rebranding occurs when they a) have nothing else to show for for whatever reason, or b) there is no market incentive to release actual new hardware.

Do the heck. They always use the age old benchmarks. I saw the 290/x "Uber" Benchmarks floating around for ages despite the card being faster than a 970 now.

Associate
Opinions are like ****holes, everyone's got one. And yours isn't based in truth ;)

Indeed; to win reviewers over to look again at their products it's much easier to rebrand, update the microcode, make new cooler stickers, boxes and what not, and convince 20 board partners to do the exact same thing, than any of the reasons (which were the cause in the past for both green and red) I provided. You do crack me up Mr S. Ha ha :D

However please, let us get back to the subject that is Volta. :) not that there's any news lol

Associate
It depends on your perspective and requirements but for the average gamer out there it will be more than capable but that is based on current known game developers plans which are more geared towards game consoles nowadays

I'm looking at Watch Dogs 2 @ 1440p where nearly maxed out I get an FPS in the mid fifties. I'd like to be at well above 60 and maxed - Volta might do that for me (along with a better CPU, which helps greatly in this specific title).

Caporegime
A little behind the times, but I just read Fudz's article, where they predict nV's next gaming cards will be a Pascal refresh on "12nm". That Volta is for compute only.

Any other sources for this besides Fudzilla?

Man of Honour
A little behind the times, but I just read Fudz's article, where they predict nV's next gaming cards will be a Pascal refresh on "12nm". That Volta is for compute only.

Seems to be a lot of hand waving by Fud.

Caporegime

There is no way Nvidia would have a whole new architecture and not make Geforce models from it. Surely it wouldn't make manufacturing/financial sense?

Soldato
Seems to be a lot of hand waving by Fud.

I thought a Pascal refresh was always on the cards for 12nm. Could the Pascal refresh run as the lower tiers though. With Nvidia the top end compute part always seems to come before the top end gaming part ie the ti. Best case scenario a Titan card will get released. If Vega seems to be doing one thing well it's in the compute department so Nvidia would most likely prioritise a Volta here. They already look to have the gaming side dominated with what they have. If they wanted they could make a Pascal 1090 using the full Titan Xp core. They are so much in the driving seat atm they don't need a Volta gaming part.

Man of Honour
There is no way Nvidia would have a whole new architecture and not make Geforce models from it. Surely it wouldn't make manufacturing/financial sense?

Volta from the outset was designed for a different direction to GeForce - any gaming card will essentially be Pascal with some changes to compute functionality and caches (all the stuff like Tensor cores would be irrelevant to gaming).

I thought a Pascal refresh was always on the cards for 12nm. Could the Pascal refresh run as the lower tiers though. With Nvidia the top end compute part always seems to come before the top end gaming part ie the ti. Best case scenario a Titan card will get released. If Vega seems to be doing one thing well it's in the compute department so Nvidia would most likely prioritise a Volta here. They already look to have the gaming side dominated with what they have.

Been a lot of talk on those Chinese forums of a 12Gbps GDDR5X refresh Pascal and given nVidia's past tactics having the Volta Titan at a premium price and then Pascal in the lower tiers wouldn't be unlikely.

Last edited:
Caporegime

With zero competition from AMD forthcoming anytime soon, it's possible they're waiting for 7nm process to become available before offering Volta to gamers. Makes sense.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
With zero competition from AMD forthcoming anytime soon, it's possible they're waiting for 7nm process to become available before offering Volta to gamers. Makes sense.
+1

Just hope we see a decent jump in performance with whatever they bring out next. I am hoping at the very least the same jump where 1070 matched the 980TI.

Associate
+1

Just hope we see a decent jump in performance with whatever they bring out next. I am hoping at the very least the same jump where 1070 matched the 980TI.

Hopefully the prices are better, the 1070 was only like £100 less than the 980ti launch prices.

2070 matching the 1080ti at £500+, no thanks.

Caporegime
Inflation is not something you can avoid and thanks to the mining craze, they have been able to experiment with prices, so have probably found a new minimum.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Hopefully the prices are better, the 1070 was only like £100 less than the 980ti launch prices.

2070 matching the 1080ti at £500+, no thanks.
It won't be, that would make no sense. £400 at most I would imagine. Otherwise that would mean Nvidia are once again changing the tiers.

1070 tier would be £500+
1080 tier 800+
1080Ti tier 1000+

Nah, I cannot see it.

Back
Top Bottom