OC(UK) Host Review :-)

Soldato
Your captcha SUCKS.

Change it to a much easier one, it took me 5 attempts. Especially if comments are moderated.

Associate
If I am looking to rent a server that is connected to the internet, what am I looking for? Someone told me I was looking for a "VPS" is that correct? Just want a linux machine that I can run programs on and have full control over.

What sort of things should I be looking out for when looking for one. It's just for my own personal testing and consumption so cheapness is a must. I'd also like some reliable but I'm fully aware that you "get what you pay for".

Reason why I want one is that I need an increase in speed in real terms that connecting to a home server on VM 50Mb which I think is 2-4Mbps upstream.....is getting something cheap likely to give me better results than this?

Soldato
If I am looking to rent a server that is connected to the internet, what am I looking for? Someone told me I was looking for a "VPS" is that correct? Just want a linux machine that I can run programs on and have full control over.

What sort of things should I be looking out for when looking for one. It's just for my own personal testing and consumption so cheapness is a must. I'd also like some reliable but I'm fully aware that you "get what you pay for".

Reason why I want one is that I need an increase in speed in real terms that connecting to a home server on VM 50Mb which I think is 2-4Mbps upstream.....is getting something cheap likely to give me better results than this?

Just get a VPS from vidahost then, costs around a tenner a month for the lowest spec VM. Fairly reliable, support available to give it a kick when it falls over. It's what I use for my shell account, think the spec is half an i7 core and 512MB RAM. It's enough to run CentOS, Apache & MySQL on anyway.

Associate
I'm very happy with vidahost, you can also use the coupon "discount" for 10% off any order! Been using them for over a year, a lot of members here recommend them also.

Associate
Saw someone mention Dreamhost - they are awful hosts I couldn't move my sites quick enough. For UK hosting I am happy with tshost and xilo although I use mainly USA hosting.

Permabanned
Ill also recommend Vidahost in here... both for quality of service and support, which has always been outstanding.

Associate
Adz,

I've been asked to try and find out who to contact about either replying to, or moderating some reviews posted on your site. Some of which even have editor comments on them saying they are either unfair or invalid and yet have been published anyway.

I've been told that they've tried to contact you via the contact form on the website multiple times, but have had no reply.

Please advise!

Associate
Had an email from Apt Host this morning:

Roughly ten hours ago, we detected an intrusion into our billing system. We have not seen any indication or evidence that your information was obtained, but we do know that the intruder had the ability to view client information for a short period of time.

We strongly recommend that you contact your credit card company and report it as stolen to ensure your credit card number is changed.

We recommend that you log into our customer portal and update your billing details with updated information when you receive it.

Associate
Saw someone mention Dreamhost - they are awful hosts I couldn't move my sites quick enough. For UK hosting I am happy with tshost and xilo although I use mainly USA hosting.

i have been using dreamhost since 07, not an issue with them. Support comes back pretty quickly whenever i have problems.

Regarding hosting transfers i just had to change ownership of a domain registered through them and again no problems with that.

Plus i get unlimited mysql databases and unlimited hosting space/bandwidth which makes it even better.

Associate
This is true, Vidahost have been subject to a few DDOS attacks recently. But support is second to none. Ticket responses within 10 minutes, whether you're on a shared hosting account or have a VDS. Use FLYING10 for a 10% discount on all hosting packages!

Soldato
I'm going to use the code VDS15 for my vidahost VDS ordering...

although I am concerned about the recent downtime, it didn't effect my tsohost account though. (They are the same company right?) The same people respond to support emails anyway :p

Associate
Would i be right in thinking a VDS is basically NAS but speed limited to your connection? ie. you store data on there then stream it to your desktop?

What is the cheapest hosting place for the most basic on websites? say no more than 100mb space needed mainly test with a few pictures.

Associate
Would i be right in thinking a VDS is basically NAS but speed limited to your connection? ie. you store data on there then stream it to your desktop?

What is the cheapest hosting place for the most basic on websites? say no more than 100mb space needed mainly test with a few pictures.
Absolutely not, because it can be designed to server different applications. For instance read heavy applications or lots of content serving.

Vidahost is one of the cheapest. £17 a year. There's some money off codes in the thread.

Back
Top Bottom