Octopus Power Ups and Free Energy Sessions

Woohoo I got a email for the hour freebee tomorrow. Although I signed up to it I didn't realise this was for everyone nationwide and was expecting a "sorry it's not available in your area yet" email. The car is going to get a charge and I have "suggested" to the wife that some baking is in order.

Probably going to give this one a miss. I've discovered when I force charge my main hybrid inverter clips all PV. I'd have to force discharge about 5kW at 14.2p to fill it again from 1-2pm, but normally it would be exporting at 5-6kW anyway so I wouldn't gain much, if anything.

I can imagine it will be useful when my EV comes, but for now, not so much.

i don't really benefit from any of these saver sessions and what not as I have a battery so don't use the grid during the day anyway and can't be fussed force discharging...

however I do think it is a great thing to happen as there are a lot of people who it can probably really help save a few quid

It is a bit of a faff, I have to reduce my overnight charge period, then set a timer, manually limit SOC and I also need to update the maximum charge current for the hour, so it can cope with PV generation and charging from the grid.

Once I get an idea of what's required I could probably automate it more.

Managed to use 6.46 kWh, including PV 9.61 went to the battery, lunch was cooked, and the dishwasher put on.

At one point we had 10kW (around 190A) going into the batteries, took the battery from 47% to 78%

2024-08-18-Free-electric.jpg

I didn’t bother in the end, based on how much solar I’m producing and exporting at 15p vs otherwise importing electric overnight at 7p, plus charging losses on the battery etc., I’d need to consume around 10 kWh to break even.

I could do 7 into the car and 6 into the battery and 3 into the hot water but it’s not worth the grief of setting it all up for perhaps 5-6kwh of free electric which would only cost me 7p anyway.

I’d be all over it if it was winter but it’s not!

Don't have an EV so can't drain power that rapidly. Looking at today's consumption I used about 2.9kWh across the hour. That would have been from fast intense dishwasher cycle, a speedy washing machine cycle, and a quick whip round the house with the hoover and go over with the lawn mower.

Haven't bothered to work out my average use back over the last 4 Sundays between 1-2 but based on typical use I'd probably get back 40-50p on my bill I think.

It does barely seem worth it unless you've got household batteries or an EV that can be rapidly charged.

Back
Top Bottom