Octopus Power Ups and Free Energy Sessions

It does barely seem worth it unless you've got household batteries or an EV that can be rapidly charged.

If you have a lot of solar to accompany your batteries, it works against you. I generated ~5kwh in that period and at this time of the year I use zero peak rate electric. I get paid 15p/kwh and it costs me 7p/kwh to import overnight. So you've got a negative price delta of 8p/kwh to get over so you'd need to import 2.2x your export before factoring in any charging losses on say a battery to break even. So for today, that's 11kwh before you are saving any cash.

Last edited:
I'll be at work tomorrow so won't benefit from this one unless I change my immersion timer, but I did manage to heat my water, run a hot cleaning cycle on the washing machine, a hot cycle on the dishwasher and a cleaning cycle on my oven on the first one of these last week so at least that's something!

Ah so a nice powerup coming tomorrow and "If a Power-up and a Free Electricity Session coincide, you'll only get credited for the Power-up (the more valuable reward)."

I found it hard to make use of negative daytime pricing with solar, same with these sessions.

I dump my batteries before the sessions (15p export FTW) and then recharge when its free/very cheap

Aren't we boned for free sessions after a while, because our pump and dump usage will alter the overall average/baseline?

Nope, days when there are sessions are excluded from the calcs, they operate like saving sessions.

Yeah but solar is usually pumping when it's negative/free.

It can be yes, but I tend to :
1) charge batteries which will just about top my generation if spiky and beat it on a full sun day, 5.5kw
2) heat water, 3kw
3) do washing/dishwashing, 1-3kw spiky during cycle
4) normal house load etc

What I tend to see is for the first 2 hours, give or take a net import varying from 3-8kw depending on cycle point and solar generation, then after that roughly equal or exporting depending on solar gen.

Solar has sat just under 5kw today (its windy and not that warm) for chunks but also had dips. So even worst case I would be importing 0.5kw for batteries (max is 5.5kw charging), so hot water and other stuff is all free from grid.

For sure the ability to pull from the grid and your own solar generation max (at what time of year) will influence how much you can pull from a session.
I mean I have my PU sessions listed and winter type ones have been as high as £11 refunded (I use a couple of fan heaters then as well), to may-july being more like £1-£2 credit back per session generally.
Often the PU will be when its windy which tends to often be cloudy generally as its usually the remains of a storm from elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom