Octopus Power Ups and Free Energy Sessions

There have been a few examples recently of them getting it wrong, contacting Octopus will get it sorted.
Yeah. Waste of time for me when they can’t do maths.

Hope you are well and thank you for reaching out to us! I understand how this can be a bit confusing, and I'm here to help clarify things for you.

The 6.11kWh you used during that session is indeed above your baseline of 0kWh. However, the 1.47kWh extra charge reflects the additional energy you consumed beyond what you would typically use at that time. In this case, since your baseline is 0, the extra usage is charged accordingly.

If you have any more questions or need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm here to help!

Love and Power,
Nondumiso

I’m arguing with a bot over a couple of quid. Ha

Thank you for reaching out! I completely understand that this can be a bit confusing, and I'm here to help clarify things for you.

When your baseline is set to 0, it means that you won't be charged for the first 0 units of energy you use. However, if you use 6.11 units, you would typically be charged for any usage above your baseline. In this case, since your baseline is 0, you would be charged for the full 6.11 units.

I hope this explanation helps! If you have any more questions or need further clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm here for you!

Kind regards,
Nondumiso

Last edited:
First one where there's not a Power Up at the same time. Will make use of my new 100a fuse.

18th aug was a Free and not a power up, at least for me
Got to check my baseline I think

So baseline 1-1:30 pm 1.59kwh so about 35p cost in effect before I am free
1:30-2 pm 1.33kwh so about 30p cost in effect before I am free

2x powerup (don't think these are excluded from the baseline), and 3x what were cheap Agile sessions within the 10 days baseline
Once Agile falls out of my history will be easier to check if its worthwhile doing.

So if solar generation is low (expected although the 1 sun in my forecast is lunchtime!) then I will go for house batteries charging and hot water heating.
Might wack the DW on a 1 hour cycle, not sure if it needs it or not.

Last edited:
Oooo. Do previous power ups count as your baseline?

Where did you see these figures?

I know they exclude previous free session days, but they haven't made any specific comment in regards power ups that I can see, so I am assuming they are included.
This session will prove it either way.

I pulled the data from the portal into excel. From the explore my energy or whatever they call it.

Not sure I did as well as I should have.

Had someone come round who arrived just before 1pm so I missed the water heating.
Batteries went from 38% to 85%, I over exported a bit this morn ooops!

But Pete to the rescue : Power-ups: Opt in to Power up for free at 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM, Wednesday 11/09/24

Won't need to heat the water today, it will be fine until lunchtime tomorrow!

I picked up a load of 2000w electric oil heaters in the summer for £5 each. A well worthy investment for those cold Power-up days. :p

I kept looking out for some. Not found any yet.
Bought 1x fan heater last year, so have 2 now. But a couple of oil filled with the delayed release would be perfect.

With 100 or so powers in a year I think a little spendy to improve the usage of that makes some sense.

I was considering a home made sand battery.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom