OcUK & Cutters Rolling Road Day 19 @ Powerstation (Tewksbury) - Saturday April 25th 2015!!

Some tasty cars there, looks like you guys had a nice day out. The wheels on the yellow MX5 look great!

The Silvia is also a lovely car. What happened to Gibbo's bimmer?

Still gutted I couldn't make it, but better luck next time I suppose!

Bloody hell Gibbo, that seems madness running it to 8500rpm on the rollers, not convinced (hindsight I know mate) that was sensible. Hope it's just a lost Red Bull can rolling around the footwell :(

Hey man

I completely agree, when I originally specified the map I said stock limiter which is like 8000-8100rpm.

We ran the car, the guy live tuning the car said pretty good result(379BHP), but top-end looks down. So we ran again on same tune, but car was hot and heat soaked and it made 360BHP and the guy was monitoring car values and we were giving him AFR info with Andy saying it's pig rich, very safe.

So he wrote a new file and sent it over and both me an Andy were like that seemed to rev much higher, it made 362BHP. The tuner then sent a new file and I told Andy do not exceed 8000rpm as simply no need, this second tune had better fuelling and was upto 368BHP.

Tuner then sent last file and said rev it out, I asked what is limiter and he replied 8500. I responded are you sure, is it safe, he was like yes we set them all like this and had no issues. So Andy took it to limiter, made 362BHP and was a bit richer again.

So tuner said go back to tune before as that seems best, and the drive from Powerstation to pub the car was an absolute beast, it was even pulling the V8 M3 it's such a damn quick car. All seemed fine, took Voxination for a run again drove gorgeous and so strong but pulling into car park the rattle of doom was there.

Just pulled it of the RAC truck and now it's silent no rattle at all at startup and very faint rattle with very gentle rev when the revs fall, so switched off.

But neither me or Andy requested a higher rev limit, we were both against it. Tuner is saying he has literally 100's of cars and Evolve map them on the dyno as high as well which they do in fairness. But I just said well I never asked for a high limit and well you now have your first failure.

He says it's most likely a shell was already worn or oil pump is on it's last legs and this just highlighted it, but I said seems to much a coincidence. Anyway tuner has offered to help out with supplying ARP bolts and new coated shells which is pretty fair. I'll also throw a new oil pump in as well and just hoping that is all it needs and it's not spun anything, fingers crossed.

Yours seems to be one of the missed ones mate sorry :( I shot all of the outside ones later in the afternoon after the pas rides etc were out the way, quite a few folks had left by then :(

You didn't get one of mine :( And I thought we were convoy pals! :mad: :p

S6 ran 373, it's about 50 down on where it should be. It's almost certainly the carbon buildup issue. I looked into cleaning options and it can be DIY'd with the heads on the motor pretty easy, but I need a free weekend to do it, like 8 hours of work.

Shame about your motor Andy, hope we caught it in time to save the crank/rods. Guess I'll have to wait till next time for a ride.

Good meeting you all again.

Sorry I missed you - had to get back to London. Next time!

A few potato pics...also got a video of a black Silvia, whose car was that??

Also big thanks to Gibbo + Vox for passenger rides in two very different M3s. Plus Havana for letting me have a play with iDrive for the first time in the M135i - very impressive compared to Audi systems I've used.

Last edited:
Glad the V8 brought some smiles to peoples faces :) will try and take a few more people out next time once I'm properly used to the car.

Really good to catch up with old friends and meet a few new ones, even if they did spend the time reminding me about certain curbs :p

Maybe this is a bad idea, but I'm of to buy an engine support beam and am gonna start stripping down the car in the drive........

:eek: :D

Anyone local to Stoke who knows what their doing willing to give a hand should I get stuck?

Car didn't like doing 165MPH with stationary front wheels though, could be interesting the next time I'm in for a service lol.

h4KaHDx.jpg

I think you'll probably be ok as they'll clear and go away. The issue comes with F series cars, when the dealer pops my key into the reader they get a readout of all the check control messages, like that, in full, on the service advisers screen! One of the reasons why I've not considered running mine, could be a pain to explain.

With the older ones you can only find that stuff if you go digging for it when you've got the car plugged into diagnostics.

[TW]Fox;27960762 said:
I think you'll probably be ok as they'll clear and go away. The issue comes with F series cars, when the dealer pops my key into the reader they get a readout of all the check control messages, like that, in full, on the service advisers screen! One of the reasons why I've not considered running mine, could be a pain to explain.

With the older ones you can only find that stuff if you go digging for it when you've got the car plugged into diagnostics.

I'm wondering what will appear when mine goes in for its first service...maybe I should leave the spare key with them instead, or should I get the codes cleared first?

I've had no messages pop up since the run though.

Gibbo - Car was nuts as per usual, very hard to keep with in convoy! Thanks for the ride and hope the rattle doesn't prove to be worse than we
]

Yeah hope so and yeah the car absolutely flies, but having 40-50BHP and over 200kg from a regular M3 will do that, on a private road ;) it's pulled to 160ish very quick, very quick car.

Just hope I can fix it and engine is ok, with new final ratio in the thing will be like a missile. :)

Hi there

Video of the noise:

This is cold start and gentle revs upto 3000rpm, the noise that is worrying is when the revs fall, but it does seem vastly quieter now to the point its hard to pick up on video....

Everyone think its still bottom end? Got car up on jack stands and am about to start dismantling. :D

Back
Top Bottom