OcUK & Cutters Rolling Road Day 19 @ Powerstation (Tewksbury) - Saturday April 25th 2015!!

blue s2k that proves that there is no point of spending money on those engines. ONE HP GAIN :( to 241 at lest sounds nice :)

As I said, the map is far from finished. The manifold had only been on for a few days and it was the first map from Mase, so not really tuned for it yet.

Hey man

I completely agree, when I originally specified the map I said stock limiter which is like 8000-8100rpm.

We ran the car, the guy live tuning the car said pretty good result(379BHP), but top-end looks down. So we ran again on same tune, but car was hot and heat soaked and it made 360BHP and the guy was monitoring car values and we were giving him AFR info with Andy saying it's pig rich, very safe.

So he wrote a new file and sent it over and both me an Andy were like that seemed to rev much higher, it made 362BHP. The tuner then sent a new file and I told Andy do not exceed 8000rpm as simply no need, this second tune had better fuelling and was upto 368BHP.

Tuner then sent last file and said rev it out, I asked what is limiter and he replied 8500. I responded are you sure, is it safe, he was like yes we set them all like this and had no issues. So Andy took it to limiter, made 362BHP and was a bit richer again.

So tuner said go back to tune before as that seems best, and the drive from Powerstation to pub the car was an absolute beast, it was even pulling the V8 M3 it's such a damn quick car. All seemed fine, took Voxination for a run again drove gorgeous and so strong but pulling into car park the rattle of doom was there.

Just pulled it of the RAC truck and now it's silent no rattle at all at startup and very faint rattle with very gentle rev when the revs fall, so switched off.

But neither me or Andy requested a higher rev limit, we were both against it. Tuner is saying he has literally 100's of cars and Evolve map them on the dyno as high as well which they do in fairness. But I just said well I never asked for a high limit and well you now have your first failure.

He says it's most likely a shell was already worn or oil pump is on it's last legs and this just highlighted it, but I said seems to much a coincidence. Anyway tuner has offered to help out with supplying ARP bolts and new coated shells which is pretty fair. I'll also throw a new oil pump in as well and just hoping that is all it needs and it's not spun anything, fingers crossed.

I've asked a couple of people and they all said very risky in standard form and of no real benefit. Hope it's nothing major.

I've asked a couple of people and they all said very risky in standard form and of no real benefit. Hope it's nothing major.

Like I said I had no interest in the higher RPM, the tuner requested it to do the mapping. Afterwards I would have simply altered the map myself back down to 8000rpm.

Unless I am building a race engine, removing Vanos, uprating, changing cams then like you say there is no point in over 8000rpm.

Though just seen a thread by a guy who now has a 9700rpm E46 M3, that must scream, of course its not standard. ;)

What was the yellow S2000, stock or modified as it got identical power to yours?

Manifold and exhaust with standard map, not sure on specifics though.

Andy said it was running a shade lean though.

They will run lean if not mapped with breathing mods such as a manifold.

I've already got a log to the tuner and I'm waiting on a new map.

Part of me is thinking about getting a Mugen intake and driving to Warrington to get it dyno tuned.

Mase did around 20 dyno pulls on my Evo IX and made some 40 bhp over the previous map. I'm only on map ver 6 at the moment.

[TW]Fox;27960762 said:
I think you'll probably be ok as they'll clear and go away. The issue comes with F series cars, when the dealer pops my key into the reader they get a readout of all the check control messages, like that, in full, on the service advisers screen! One of the reasons why I've not considered running mine, could be a pain to explain.

With the older ones you can only find that stuff if you go digging for it when you've got the car plugged into diagnostics.

Wasn't aware it was only the F series that they got all the readings from the key, thought it would be any iDrive equipped cars with the new fob (the ones that don't have a key blade). Hopefully all should be ok then, just don't want any issues in the event of a warranty claim.

A few videos, mostly M3's. Sorry if I didn't get your car, I had no remote and it was pretty loud in the dyno room.

Looking good, thanks :)

Last edited:
The weather said it would be heavy rain fall today here and 18 degrees and dry yesterday. guess they were operating in opposites mode yesterday :mad:

Wasn't aware it was only the F series that they got all the readings from the key, thought it would be any iDrive equipped cars with the new fob (the ones that don't have a key blade). Hopefully all should be ok then, just don't want any issues in the event of a warranty claim.

Only F Series cars have the new fob, so you are sort of right, it is any car with the new fob. Yours does not have the new fob though, no E series car does.

BMW dealers have got readings from keys for years, even my E39 provides key readings when plugged in, but the breadth of information increases with every new generation :D

Like I said I had no interest in the higher RPM, the tuner requested it to do the mapping. Afterwards I would have simply altered the map myself back down to 8000rpm.

Unless I am building a race engine, removing Vanos, uprating, changing cams then like you say there is no point in over 8000rpm.

Though just seen a thread by a guy who now has a 9700rpm E46 M3, that must scream, of course its not standard. ;)

So was this some guy creating maps remotely? Seems as a minimum you should upgrade valve springs if youre moving limits. I get you didnt want the limit raised, tuner should have respected that. Your car is not his bloidy test bed. Having been in your car i know how well it goes and frankly i dont see any map really improving that.

So was this some guy creating maps remotely? Seems as a minimum you should upgrade valve springs if youre moving limits. I get you didnt want the limit raised, tuner should have respected that. Your car is not his bloidy test bed. Having been in your car i know how well it goes and frankly i dont see any map really improving that.

Yes.
The map improved it for sure and I was only driving to around 7500-8000 on the road, like Andy said it was tuned to much on the safe side as was way to rich. So he got fuelling spot on, but the rev limit was raised.

The tuners reasoning was, this is how we do them all and have no reported failures, in fairness loads do seem to commenting oh yeah its great and I push it regular to 8500rpm, I guess I got unlucky, it is just more annoying by the fact I did not want the limit raised anyway. :(

Guess mine is his first then, but you are right he should have respected the fact we were not interested in beyond 8000. :(

On the bright side he has offered to sort me out on the bolts and shells. :)

[TW]Fox;27961240 said:
Only F Series cars have the new fob, so you are sort of right, it is any car with the new fob. Yours does not have the new fob though, no E series car does.

BMW dealers have got readings from keys for years, even my E39 provides key readings when plugged in, but the breadth of information increases with every new generation :D

Audi have started doing same with my key, putting it in the reader and bringing up info. Nothing fancy about my car key though...it is just standard 10 year old style key.

Hi there

We might have a false alarm. The exhaust/cat temperature probe was rattling on the whole exhaust system and the hard plastic wire protectors was banging the heatshield.

I re-fitted these and tied them away, the noise when the revs fall has now gone away. :)

Though I am not convinced but the car seems silent, going to upload some videos of cold start now, warm idle and revving and they are from directly below the engine next to the block. I can only hear ever such a faint knocking which is either bottom end or vanos ticking, just seems like basic engine noise.

When it warmed up it was silent, revved it hard and no strange noises....

Videos uploading...

I'm surprised - assuming it's not off camera - that it looks like there is no air blower assisting with cooling on the dyno runs....?

And Damn shame Gibbo, seems a poor show especially given you didn't want the limit raised.

Is the tuner offering any fiscal assistance to you? Seems to me it's his raising of the Rev limit and then telling you to rev it out that's resulted in this...

Edit: I hope you've struck lucky with the loose sensor...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom