OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
OP
The drive home from the hospital was the weirdest bit for me. Everything you learn, leads up to that point, then all of the sudden you own a human, and you're too sht scared to go around a roundabout too quickly, and you have no idea what to do from that point onwards.
Haha yeah I remember that really well; slowing down to a crawl to go over speedbumps lol.

Today I was eating lunch and I get a video call from my wife looking really panicked, saying "quick, get somewhere you can talk". I thought something serious had happened, like she was gonna show me a rash that didn't fade under pressure or something. My daughter was in hysterics, screaming at the top of her lungs because... She couldn't get her other arm in her sleeve and wouldn't let my wife help her. I had to spend 10 mins on the phone talking her down from not being able to get her arm in her sleeve. Surreal! She looked so sad by the end. Kids do the saddest frowny faces. She just didn't get enough sleep last night.

The good news is that even if she naps in the afternoon, the mother in law is over tonight and it'll be her problem :D

Soldato
Two night ago, I heard different kind of hysterics. When I questioned from afar, the answer came back from my eldest, speaking about her younger sister (6): 'Natalie pee'd on her own forehead'

I took a moment, then ignored it and went about making dinner. Some questions are better left unasked.

Soldato
My 2yr old had a proper hysterical meltdown a few days ago.

She "helps" me wash the car. Finished washing the car and that's when it started. I told her we were done and the world ended for her as there was no more car to wash. I'm talking almost 90 mins of tears, screams, full body sobbing, snot.

Soldato
My 2yr old had a proper hysterical meltdown a few days ago.

She "helps" me wash the car. Finished washing the car and that's when it started. I told her we were done and the world ended for her as there was no more car to wash. I'm talking almost 90 mins of tears, screams, full body sobbing, snot.

Haha, mine had a full melt down in the middle of town because I wouldn’t let her play with the seagulls.?? 20mins of women giving me the stink eye and guys giving me sympathy looks.

But when she stopped we had to to stop at every window, point and giggle at ever mannequin...

Soldato
OP
Bought my daughter a cheap little rc car, and she loves it. I am proud. She got mad when I started drifting it round her dolls though. I was also proud of myself.

Associate
How is it that kids know the exact worst time to get ill? We're in the middle of moving to a different part of the country and on packing day our youngest - who is rarely ill - starts with a high fever and projectile vomiting. Tomorrow is moving day so that's going to be a fun 3 hour car journey! Worst thing is that I have to be at the new house ahead of time so I'm on the train down there, worrying about him and can't do anything to help.

(Last time he was ill was Christmas Day with the exact same symptoms... if it happens again on a stressful day I'm going to call it not a coincidence)

Soldato
OP
How is it that kids know the exact worst time to get ill? We're in the middle of moving to a different part of the country and on packing day our youngest - who is rarely ill - starts with a high fever and projectile vomiting. Tomorrow is moving day so that's going to be a fun 3 hour car journey! Worst thing is that I have to be at the new house ahead of time so I'm on the train down there, worrying about him and can't do anything to help.

(Last time he was ill was Christmas Day with the exact same symptoms... if it happens again on a stressful day I'm going to call it not a coincidence)
Sounds like you've dodged a bullet with the train thing. You'll have to be husband of the year when the missus arrives though as it will likely be the journey from hell.

Soldato
Had my nervy suspicions confirmed yesterday... my son is a giant :eek: I wouldn't say he's any more developed mentally than other babies but it's like his physical development has become totally uncorrelated to his mental progress! At first I was secretly delighted we had a big strong baby, now I'm thinking that if he doesn't slow down soon he's going to really stand out when he's at school.

We met my wife's friends and their new baby for the first time yesterday. Both were big at birth - ours 9.1lbs and theirs 9.6 - and I'd thought they were both going to grow at a rate of knots.

Theirs is three weeks younger than ours, is a lovely kid, and whilst he seems to be growing at a normal rate, he's still in the 98th height percentile. By contrast, our son is like a gargantuan ogre when they were held next to each other - even thinking back to his size of 3 weeks ago he was vast. Ours looks like he's going to start eating villagers soon!

His last measurement had him miles past the requirement for 99th height percentile, and he's ******* solid too... his head is almost as wide as mine is already and his mouth is bigger than most adults. He's a strong baby also, got a hell of a set of lungs on him and rolls over on to his front with no problems at 12 weeks old.

I'm genuinely slightly concerned at the rate he's going as it's costing us a fortune to keep him clothed and comforted. He's too big for the Sleepyhead thing - which goes up to 8 months - and he's almost outgrown the pram bassinet... we've had to cut the feet off the 3-6 month sleep suits, and he's fitting into 9 month clothes now. It's not much of a surprise as I'm 6'4" and my wife is 6' - his uncle and my uncle are both 6'4" and quite large people - but we've had a few quite nasty and dispiriting comments from "professionals" out in public about how underdeveloped he is for his size, with them thinking he's much older than he is. It's started to affect my wife a bit but she's now taken to biting back a bit.

That said, I can imagine that he might be slow to get into his feet and may take a while to be able to support his weight...

Anyone got any recommendations for arm or wrist supports? My wife's wrist is causing loads of problems whilst my shoulder is a complete mess.

Soldato
OP
Had my nervy suspicions confirmed yesterday... my son is a giant :eek: I wouldn't say he's any more developed mentally than other babies but it's like his physical development has become totally uncorrelated to his mental progress! At first I was secretly delighted we had a big strong baby, now I'm thinking that if he doesn't slow down soon he's going to really stand out when he's at school.

We met my wife's friends and their new baby for the first time yesterday. Both were big at birth - ours 9.1lbs and theirs 9.6 - and I'd thought they were both going to grow at a rate of knots.

Theirs is three weeks younger than ours, is a lovely kid, and whilst he seems to be growing at a normal rate, he's still in the 98th height percentile. By contrast, our son is like a gargantuan ogre when they were held next to each other - even thinking back to his size of 3 weeks ago he was vast. Ours looks like he's going to start eating villagers soon!

His last measurement had him miles past the requirement for 99th height percentile, and he's ******* solid too... his head is almost as wide as mine is already and his mouth is bigger than most adults. He's a strong baby also, got a hell of a set of lungs on him and rolls over on to his front with no problems at 12 weeks old.

I'm genuinely slightly concerned at the rate he's going as it's costing us a fortune to keep him clothed and comforted. He's too big for the Sleepyhead thing - which goes up to 8 months - and he's almost outgrown the pram bassinet... we've had to cut the feet off the 3-6 month sleep suits, and he's fitting into 9 month clothes now. It's not much of a surprise as I'm 6'4" and my wife is 6' - his uncle and my uncle are both 6'4" and quite large people - but we've had a few quite nasty and dispiriting comments from "professionals" out in public about how underdeveloped he is for his size, with them thinking he's much older than he is. It's started to affect my wife a bit but she's now taken to biting back a bit.

That said, I can imagine that he might be slow to get into his feet and may take a while to be able to support his weight...

Anyone got any recommendations for arm or wrist supports? My wife's wrist is causing loads of problems whilst my shoulder is a complete mess.

Firstly, sounds like you've got a badass lad growing strong. Provided all is well medically then you're doing grand, and the whole thing about not comparing your child's development to anyone else's applies here.

On the shoulder front, I had intense pain in my shoulder and neck that no amount of stretching fixed, until I did a bit of reading and discovered that it was my overworked chest muscles pulling my head forwards that was causing my shoulder pain. Did some of the recommended chest stretches and it soon went away. May not be the case for you of course, but it certainly saved my bacon

Soldato
Firstly, sounds like you've got a badass lad growing strong. Provided all is well medically then you're doing grand, and the whole thing about not comparing your child's development to anyone else's applies here.

On the shoulder front, I had intense pain in my shoulder and neck that no amount of stretching fixed, until I did a bit of reading and discovered that it was my overworked chest muscles pulling my head forwards that was causing my shoulder pain. Did some of the recommended chest stretches and it soon went away. May not be the case for you of course, but it certainly saved my bacon

Ta - will look into the chest stretches, hadn't thought of that. I nailed my shoulder playing football a couple of months back and whenever I pick the kid up you can hear a series of crunches and clicks as the shoulder pops about :(

Soldato
One thing I have learnt over the last 10 days, do not go on holiday with a 2 year old. Absolute ******* nightmare!
Doesn't get any easier at 3 almost 4. We just sat down for a meal at the busy restaurant in our hotel in corfu and our boy devided to throw food at me. We tell him off and he then starts a riotous tantrum. We had to exit sharply via the fire exit in front of the whole restaurant. My wife was soo embarrassed she burst in to tears on the way back to the room. Meanwhile our boy is still going mental all the way and continued for over 30 minutes before he finally calmed down and we put him to bed.

Probably the worst meltdown hes ever had, especially in public. I just don't understand why he wont take a telling off when he threw the food, the trigger was actually him not having a place mat where he sat even tho he chose where to sit. It's like one little thing every day sets off a chain reaction of tantrums. Getting him to put sun lotion on has been a challenge in itself. Relaxing holiday in the sun my behind.

Soldato
So...
Taken the midget on holiday, missus decided to give the baby a phone with dougie on it.

Que violent vomiting over herself and the chair.

Currently trying to get her to go to sleep but the cot they've provided is far too small, so shes got out of the big girl bed and joined us in the living room twice....

Soldato
OP
I have the mother in law over for a week so I've been enjoying a few breaks while nana gets all the attention. That said, it's a bloody nightmare trying to help because she wants nothing to do with us while she's here. I asked for a hug and a kiss goodnight, and she gave me the sassiest look, swished her hair at me and stomped up the stairs. I would've been upset if it hadn't been so bloody funny. Pretty sure she's 3 going on 13

Soldato
I find my in laws insufferable at times to be honest. They're overbearing and when they visit it's for the whole weekend and with their two daughters, who are also over bearing. So my house is full up and taken over with a bunch of people who will spend the whole weekend fawning over my boy. It probably sounds really cute/lucky, but it's quite frustrating because of course they just want to make a fuss and get time in since they live far away, but they're already trying to spoil him far too much at 7 months old. Some of the stuff they come out with is ridiculous, and one of the daughters is a teacher, so of course she's pretty unbearable when it comes to her "know better" attitude.

I just wish they'd calm the **** down a little :D

Associate
In regards to holidays we decided quite early on that we would stay fairly local with the kids, they don't know any different, everywhere is new and exciting to them. We still get to go away but if we need to/or want to we can go home.

Once they get a bit older and we can all enjoy the holiday we will go further a field but at the moment though it's Bognor rather than Barbados.

Back
Top Bottom