OcUK Dadsnet thread

Associate
Can anyone recommend some easy to work out, paid or free games / educational apps for Android that I can show my 3 year old (soon to be 4) daughter?
Get them an education tablet like a leapfrog tab.

Best to ask your daughters teacher they know all the best apps and sites. Other then that it’s a install a load and go though them all and see if there suitable

Soldato
Get them an education tablet like a leapfrog tab.

Best to ask your daughters teacher they know all the best apps and sites. Other then that it’s a install a load and go though them all and see if there suitable

She isn't in school yet, doesn't start until next year. And getting a Leapfrog isn't really an option currently. Her Grandma recently bought her an 8" ALBA tablet for whatever reason I don't know. I'm not entirely happy about it as it would have been nice to be asked if we thought it was appropriate but whatever, it's done now.

I'll install a bunch and see how it goes.

Associate
She isn't in school yet, doesn't start until next year. And getting a Leapfrog isn't really an option currently. Her Grandma recently bought her an 8" ALBA tablet for whatever reason I don't know. I'm not entirely happy about it as it would have been nice to be asked if we thought it was appropriate but whatever, it's done now.

I'll install a bunch and see how it goes.
It time consuming as most of the apps are not very good.

Cool maths games. Com or uk is one site my son uses

Soldato
OP
I found some basic spelling apps on the android market that my girl (same age) likes. I'll dig out the names when I get home, but avoiding the ones with micro transactions is a minefield

Soldato
I vote for the Amazon Fire for kids, both mine have one each, great apps, free years subscription and a no questions replacement policy for 2 years. They love them (they are 3 & 5) - you can set time of use etc but both of them have already found out that if they switch to the others account on their tablet it doubles their time - smart little monkeys!

Soldato
so my daughter has lost her first tooth at five. She's quite proud of it and we did the whole tooth Fairy thing so she's quite happy. I just hope she doesn't try taking any others out to get more money:D.

Soldato
My boy is 11 days old and he’s got bacterial conjunctivitis, poor little bugger. We noticed the other day he wasn’t getting yellow/green in the corner of his left eye Andy he next morning it was crusted shut. We started by using cotton wool balls and warm water to wipe it away which make sure it look less nasty. Thankfully the midwife was due that day so we spoke to her about it and she suggested calling the doctor who then prescribed him some eye drops.

I’m not sure if it’s having any affect or not, two days into using the drops and his eye is no better. He’s not in any pain but it’s not nice to look at and I feel awful seeing his eye the way it is. I really hope it goes soon.

Been to the doctor again last Friday, they took a swab of his eye and sent it off to double check what it is. We’ve had a voicemail from the doctor telling us he wants to discuss the results and are awaiting a call back..

Now I’m worried he’s caught something.

Associate
top tip for parents with young kids who do not like taking medicine from a spoon or syringe. Providing they are still bottle fed, put the medicine inside the teat of the bottle and they should take it no bother. My 8 month old has always been a huge struggle to get her to take calpol when she's had a high temperature spitting it back out, not wanting the spoon or syringe in her mouth. We just put the correct measurement in the bottle teat (attach the bottle to it aswell as they can grab the rim of the teat and spill it) and she's taken it no problem every time, no fuss, no crying, no spitting it out.

Soldato
top tip for parents with young kids who do not like taking medicine from a spoon or syringe. Providing they are still bottle fed, put the medicine inside the teat of the bottle and they should take it no bother. My 8 month old has always been a huge struggle to get her to take calpol when she's had a high temperature spitting it back out, not wanting the spoon or syringe in her mouth. We just put the correct measurement in the bottle teat (attach the bottle to it aswell as they can grab the rim of the teat and spill it) and she's taken it no problem every time, no fuss, no crying, no spitting it out.

Or you could just do what health professionals do and put the syringe right at the back of the cheek almost pressed up on the cheek. The nurse did that at the hospital apparently they have to swallow to breathe so that way they take the liquid in. Works like a charm every time and you're not having to mix it with anything which could mess up how it's absorbed by the body etc.

Associate
Or you could just do what health professionals do and put the syringe right at the back of the cheek almost pressed up on the cheek. The nurse did that at the hospital apparently they have to swallow to breathe so that way they take the liquid in. Works like a charm every time and you're not having to mix it with anything which could mess up how it's absorbed by the body etc.

Tried that and its was a trauma for my little one, she was choking on it, crying and fighting to get the syringe out her mouth. The medicine is put into a clean teat, not mixed with anything at all, and she sooks it all in with no fuss or crying, no spitting out so she has got the correct dosage.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Ours will take if off a spoon if you put the calpol in a bowl first but not if you try and shove a spoon in her mouth, I guess she thinks its a treat that way. :)

Associate
The simplest way is always overlooked we force it in

Caporegime
Been to the doctor again last Friday, they took a swab of his eye and sent it off to double check what it is. We’ve had a voicemail from the doctor telling us he wants to discuss the results and are awaiting a call back..

Now I’m worried he’s caught something.

There’s a couple of infections that cause really nasty gunky baby eyes, the GP doing a swab is very sensible.

Associate
My little girl is now over 24 hours old, tried for 4 years and one round of IVF, never wanted kids just did it to keep the missus happy, dealt with many emotions over the past year and nearly walked out on many occasion thinking I wouldn’t be able to handle it, from the moment I got my missus to the hospital to now its been the most amazing surreal moment of my life. She’s the most amazing thing that’s happened to me, I’ve done nothing but hold her since she arrived and I am a forever changed man. That’s not the laphroaig 1815 I brought to mark the occasion talking either!

Associate
Congratulations @dink hope all went well through the birth of your little girl... My little girl is 21 months old and a daddies girl, nothing beats that feeling when walking in from work and she's stood there arms out.. Makes my heart melt..

Thanks so much, 15 mins from the time we got to the hospital lol, missus was running 13k each day right up until the birth so think that had something to do with it, i well up just thinking of her! Never knew I’d turn into such a melt!

All the best to yours :)

Soldato
Thanks so much, 15 mins from the time we got to the hospital lol, missus was running 13k each day right up until the birth so think that had something to do with it, i well up just thinking of her! Never knew I’d turn into such a melt!

Bloody hell that's quick, probably did help with all that running :p yeah it turns you into an emotional soppy guy once you've had kids, I cry at movies now :p

Soldato
OP

Congrats! That feeling doesn't really change, and all I can say is that it continues to throw me amazing experiences at you (as well as new ways to deprive you off sleep). Welcome to the club!

Back
Top Bottom