OcUK Dadsnet thread

Associate
Well our little one is 4 weeks old today and it's flown by. Not going to lie, she has been an absolute star *touches wood*, she doesn't really cry now just the occasional grumble when she's uncomfortable or is hungry, she is letting us get decent sleep (10pm-3am then 3:30-whenever we get up). She has 4-5oz every feed, burps nicely and only had 2/3 sicks in the the 4 weeks she's been here. She poops once a day,usually between 8pm-10pm. We had a meet up with our NCT group last week and it's crazy when comparing all the babies, although the youngest, ours was the most responsive and strongest; even with the woman who ran the class saying she's never seen a baby that strong that young. Which take us on to yesterday, put her on the floor for some of her daily 'tummy time' and the little bugger rolled over... 4 times. Front to back and back to front.

Sorry for the 'gloaty' post but we're seriously in love with this little girl. She has bag's of personality, she's certainly going to be a handful when she gets older.

Don
Well our little one is 4 weeks old today and it's flown by. Not going to lie, she has been an absolute star *touches wood*, she doesn't really cry now just the occasional grumble when she's uncomfortable or is hungry, she is letting us get decent sleep (10pm-3am then 3:30-whenever we get up). She has 4-5oz every feed, burps nicely and only had 2/3 sicks in the the 4 weeks she's been here. She poops once a day,usually between 8pm-10pm. We had a meet up with our NCT group last week and it's crazy when comparing all the babies, although the youngest, ours was the most responsive and strongest; even with the woman who ran the class saying she's never seen a baby that strong that young. Which take us on to yesterday, put her on the floor for some of her daily 'tummy time' and the little bugger rolled over... 4 times. Front to back and back to front.

Sorry for the 'gloaty' post but we're seriously in love with this little girl. She has bag's of personality, she's certainly going to be a handful when she gets older.

Don't worry, you're going to get your turn :D When the teething starts or her first illness happens, it all goes to **** and the sleeping patterns never return to the way they were.

I know many new-born parents who were gloaty about how well their kids slept, and now they tear their hair out with sleepless nights and early wake-ups :D

Soldato
Don't worry, you're going to get your turn :D When the teething starts or her first illness happens, it all goes to **** and the sleeping patterns never return to the way they were.

I know many new-born parents who were gloaty about how well their kids slept, and now they tear their hair out with sleepless nights and early wake-ups :D

We've got both going on at the moment - the upper front teeth are coming through (bottom two came through a couple of months back) and he's had a beast of a cold this last week. We've moved on from the snot to a ghastly sounding cough, but he's a proper trooper - arguably been his best night in ages last night... slept through until 5am before us having to move him into our bed. We're going to get onto some sleep training soon once his cold clears up, as we'd put it off for a while due to us moving house.

So. Tired.

Soldato
How do you guys cope with baby not settling down at night? During the day he’ll sleep fine, more than fine really, he seems to do nothing but sleep during the day but at night in his Moses basket he doesn’t seem to have a great sleep and will be up/down and is very restless which isn’t great for him or mum and dad.

To be fair, it is early days, he’s 4 days old and I guess we still need to get that routine in order.

All I can suggest at this early stage is try and at least set a bit of a difference in place between day and night. So at a certain point, dim the lights a bit maybe 7 onwards and keep anything over night as low key as possible and reverse at day time, lights on noisy etc. But I think at 4 days it's a go with the flow sort of thing for sure

Best of luck, it gets better. (How annoying is it when everyone tells you that ;) )

Associate
All I can suggest at this early stage is try and at least set a bit of a difference in place between day and night. So at a certain point, dim the lights a bit maybe 7 onwards and keep anything over night as low key as possible and reverse at day time, lights on noisy etc. But I think at 4 days it's a go with the flow sort of thing for sure

Best of luck, it gets better. (How annoying is it when everyone tells you that ;) )

On the subject of sleep... What are people’s experiences with kids sleeping through the night at 7 months old? Our daughter at the moment is being put in the cot at around half six with a feed (routine has been in place for a while now) and then wakes at around midnight, then around 2am, then around 4am at the moment.

My eldest daughter slept through the night from about 4 weeks old so we’ve never really had this lack of sleep issue except when she’s ill. We knew that we we’re lucky with her, but didn’t quite expect this little sleep at the seven month period with our youngest. She seems to grunt and strain sometimes in the night and never really seems in a deep sleep.

I guess I’m just looking for an idea of whether this is ‘normal’ and if others have had the same experience when their kids outgrew it. Me and my wife are both shattered and it’s affecting us day to day being short tempered with each other.

Caporegime
On the subject of sleep... What are people’s experiences with kids sleeping through the night at 7 months old? Our daughter at the moment is being put in the cot at around half six with a feed (routine has been in place for a while now) and then wakes at around midnight, then around 2am, then around 4am at the moment.

My eldest daughter slept through the night from about 4 weeks old so we’ve never really had this lack of sleep issue except when she’s ill. We knew that we we’re lucky with her, but didn’t quite expect this little sleep at the seven month period with our youngest. She seems to grunt and strain sometimes in the night and never really seems in a deep sleep.

I guess I’m just looking for an idea of whether this is ‘normal’ and if others have had the same experience when their kids outgrew it. Me and my wife are both shattered and it’s affecting us day to day being short tempered with each other.

Utterly, utterly normal. Our daughter woke every 45mins or 90mins through the night for 8+ months.

Don

Utterly, utterly normal. Our daughter woke every 45mins or 90mins through the night for 8+ months.

As said, totally normal.

Neither of my boys slept through the night until they were 2 :)

Associate

As said, totally normal.

Neither of my boys slept through the night until they were 2 :)

I’ll cease any grumbling immediately, sounds like we’ve got it easy in comparison. :)

Did you find any way of helping to deal with it other than caffeine and patience?

Associate
I’ll cease any grumbling immediately, sounds like we’ve got it easy in comparison. :)

Did you find any way of helping to deal with it other than caffeine and patience?
a blanket and cars 2.
My boy was a pain in a.. wont sleep unless you rock him, put him down 20mins later and he cry’s. Well I needed to go loo really bad so I got his blanket and rolled him up, rocked him for a bit and put him in his cot he didt cry at all.
Then he started crawling and rolling him up didt work no more. That’s when cars 2 helps put cars 2 on, put him in his cot with a bottle of milk and he’s sleeping in 30mins

Soldato
How often do your potty trained toddlers 3-4 have an accident? Our chap is fine at home, sometimes leaves it almost too late but usually gets there. Accidents are fairly rare.

However at preschool he seems to have an accident more often. Lately It seems like once a week. Not sure how normal it is, I think it's just a case of him getting to involved in what hes doing and forgetting about the Loo.

I'll admit we have yet to attack the bed time training, but we think hes showing signs he Could be ready (often dry in the mornings etc)

Any tips?

Will add, only talking about wee, never done a number 2 accident thank god

Don
Yeah, totally normally however IMO you're making your life much more difficult by not dealing with the nighttime dryness now too. The longer you leave it, the harder that part will be to deal with. Our 4 y/o only has accidents when he is very tired & distracted now.

He even gets himself up in the night and goes to the bathroom to use the toilet alone too :D

Soldato

This all sounds normal to me too. It's just a case that every child is different I think. Our first was terr-iii-ble at nights for like a year (honestly though it becomes a distant memory/we forget the bad stuff as I cant really remember what we would do)

Our latest on the other hand, coming up to 4 months old, seems to be pretty consistent at night.. at the moment! He drinks rather large bottles during the day, one final one at about 7.30 which he then falls asleep on, or shortly after (in our arms, are we monsters?).

Then we lay him to the crappy basket next to us, and transfer him up stairs when we go to bed (that's the risky bit, sweat dripping off our foreheads hoping he doesn't wake in the transfer :D) then all going well, these last few weeks he has slept on until 6-7. We dont know why, it's probably going to go **** up soon!!

Sounds like we have the opposite situation, us bad experience with the first, much better with this one. But based one our first, we felt the same, got tired and sort with each other more etc. That's just tiredness taking its toll, stick together you will get past this part

Caporegime
Yeah, totally normally however IMO you're making your life much more difficult by not dealing with the nighttime dryness now too. The longer you leave it, the harder that part will be to deal with. Our 4 y/o only has accidents when he is very tired & distracted now.

He even gets himself up in the night and goes to the bathroom to use the toilet alone too :D

It varies wildly on the best time to work on night time dryness. Loads of kids arent ready even after starting school. If you're having dry nights frequently it's usually a good time to try though.

Soldato

I agree tbh, it's something we are actively about to attempt. We were going to try a few weeks back but he fell ill and was having really bad sleep.

But now we are buying some kit *extra sheets and so on to give it a go.

Another excuse was we were also dealing with our new born but now hes a bit more consistent at night, we feel we can turn our attention to this now

Back
Top Bottom