OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
It varies wildly on the best time to work on night time dryness. Loads of kids arent ready even after starting school. If you're having dry nights frequently it's usually a good time to try though.
Yeah I think that's what we were thinking. Then like you say it does vary a lot. A quick Google will tell us that some kids won't be dry at night for years yet.

Don
I agree tbh, it's something we are actively about to attempt. We were going to try a few weeks back but he fell ill and was having really bad sleep.

But now we are buying some kit *extra sheets and so on to give it a go.

Another excuse was we were also dealing with our new born but now hes a bit more consistent at night, we feel we can turn our attention to this now

Do yourself a favour and get a couple of washable (and tumble-drier safe!) waterproof undersheets. Something like this - https://www.boots.com/boots-pharmaceuticals-staydry-washable-bed-protector-70-x-80cm-10129942

It makes the inevitable nighttime accidents much easier to handle if the mattress stays dry and you can throw all the wet stuff straight into the washing machine and tumbledrier.

Even my 8-year old has one of these on his bed, he hasn't had a night accident for years but it helps with vomit etc too if they are ever ill in bed.

Soldato
Do yourself a favour and get a couple of washable (and tumble-drier safe!) waterproof undersheets. Something like this - https://www.boots.com/boots-pharmaceuticals-staydry-washable-bed-protector-70-x-80cm-10129942

It makes the inevitable nighttime accidents much easier to handle if the mattress stays dry and you can throw all the wet stuff straight into the washing machine and tumbledrier.

Even my 8-year old has one of these on his bed, he hasn't had a night accident for years but it helps with vomit etc too if they are ever ill in bed.

Appreciate the tip, thanks!

We dont have a tumble dryer right now but are getting one given to us as my mums moving and has offered hers to us, will definitely be useful here

Soldato
This is a really specific question, but does anyone know if a Cybex Sirona Z car seat will fit in the rear of a 5 door Mini Cooper and rotate?

The Cloud Z infant car seat does fit and rotate if you push the front passenger seat forward all the way, but the Sirona Z is even longer so I have my doubts. The Cybex website says it will fit and not rotate, but I'd love to hear from someone who has tried it themselves since they are wrong about the Cloud Z.

EDIT: It does fit and rotates, but you have to push the passenger seat forward quite a lot. An average sized adult still fits, but their knees will be very close to the dashboard so I don't recommend it for long trips.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
WRT night time no nappy time, we just waited until Riley was going most nights dry (at this point she was mostly fine wearing pants during the day with rare accidents), and then went for it and she was grand. Think she's wet the bed a handful of times in 6 months.

Associate
Well our little one is 4 weeks old today and it's flown by. Not going to lie, she has been an absolute star *touches wood*, she doesn't really cry now just the occasional grumble when she's uncomfortable or is hungry, she is letting us get decent sleep (10pm-3am then 3:30-whenever we get up). She has 4-5oz every feed, burps nicely and only had 2/3 sicks in the the 4 weeks she's been here. She poops once a day,usually between 8pm-10pm. We had a meet up with our NCT group last week and it's crazy when comparing all the babies, although the youngest, ours was the most responsive and strongest; even with the woman who ran the class saying she's never seen a baby that strong that young. Which take us on to yesterday, put her on the floor for some of her daily 'tummy time' and the little bugger rolled over... 4 times. Front to back and back to front.

Sorry for the 'gloaty' post but we're seriously in love with this little girl. She has bag's of personality, she's certainly going to be a handful when she gets older.
Wait till they turn 1 your in for a treat.
My 1yearold can climb off the bed, open the door and climb down the stairs.

Time to turn the door handles upside down

Soldato
My boy is 11 days old and he’s got bacterial conjunctivitis, poor little bugger. We noticed the other day he wasn’t getting yellow/green in the corner of his left eye Andy he next morning it was crusted shut. We started by using cotton wool balls and warm water to wipe it away which make sure it look less nasty. Thankfully the midwife was due that day so we spoke to her about it and she suggested calling the doctor who then prescribed him some eye drops.

I’m not sure if it’s having any affect or not, two days into using the drops and his eye is no better. He’s not in any pain but it’s not nice to look at and I feel awful seeing his eye the way it is. I really hope it goes soon.

Soldato
My boy is 11 days old and he’s got bacterial conjunctivitis, poor little bugger. We noticed the other day he wasn’t getting yellow/green in the corner of his left eye Andy he next morning it was crusted shut. We started by using cotton wool balls and warm water to wipe it away which make sure it look less nasty. Thankfully the midwife was due that day so we spoke to her about it and she suggested calling the doctor who then prescribed him some eye drops.

I’m not sure if it’s having any affect or not, two days into using the drops and his eye is no better. He’s not in any pain but it’s not nice to look at and I feel awful seeing his eye the way it is. I really hope it goes soon.

I've had that a couple of years ago and only a course of proper antibiotics could shift it, eye drops and external cream were bloody useless. obviously, with a baby the situation is very different. I hope he gets better soon

Soldato
I've had that a couple of years ago and only a course of proper antibiotics could shift it, eye drops and external cream were bloody useless. obviously, with a baby the situation is very different. I hope he gets better soon

Well, we’ve just had a midwife come around to weigh him and we mentioned his eye, she called the doctors for us and we’re seeing another doctor at 5:10 this evening. Let’s hope they can give us something more affective.

Caporegime
Well, we’ve just had a midwife come around to weigh him and we mentioned his eye, she called the doctors for us and we’re seeing another doctor at 5:10 this evening. Let’s hope they can give us something more affective.

You need to be careful with newborns eyes. Taking a swab is recommended.

Soldato
OP
Anyone’s kid sleep walk? Mine came in the room at stupid o’clock the other day gave me a box and went back to bed.
Just now he’s walked in and got in our bed, he said something but I didt catch it
Lmao, not quite, but I'd just be grateful he went back to bed!

Associate
Lmao, not quite, but I'd just be grateful he went back to bed!
He does quite often once he said that I was chasing him with a pick ax, I said ok no more Minecraft and he started crying and went back to bed. Not sure if he’s having nightmares. What I really want to know is how he manages to miss his LEGO mine field in the dark, I know it’s there but I still step on his LEGO even in daylight

Soldato
OP
He does quite often once he said that I was chasing him with a pick ax, I said ok no more Minecraft and he started crying and went back to bed. Not sure if he’s having nightmares. What I really want to know is how he manages to miss his LEGO mine field in the dark, I know it’s there but I still step on his LEGO even in daylight
I've had some amusing events with my daughter making noises in the night, so I go in and she's lying on her back but like this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ making some deal with me about going to the park, yawning and going back to sleep

Back
Top Bottom