OcUK Dadsnet thread

Caporegime
What to get a 1 year old boy for christmas? His birthday is also in December. So really struggling. Got him clothes and a tickle me elmo so far but he gets bored pretty fast and pretty much has a lot of stuff so don't want to buy more crap for the sake of it. He has plenty of books more than he needs tbh. Got him the Marvel Advent calendar which is all books and the disney one. I'm thinking that's it tbh. He will be gifted tons of stuff from folk for his birthday no doubt and then same again on Christmas so he's getting a lot in one go and adding more on top just seems dumb but if there is something that will really aid his development I'm all ears.

I regularly just get stuff as and when he needs rather than waiting but this being his first Christmas not that he will know any better and his first birthday I wanted to get him something that will help his progression and stand him in good stead.

I already got him a kids tablet and early learning centre tablet but all he's interested in right now is standing up and crawling about everywhere. I was thinking bath toys he's got bored of all the rubber ducks and fishes and crabs I got him and the swimming penguin. Any good ones out there?

Soldato
What to get a 1 year old boy for christmas? His birthday is also in December. So really struggling. Got him clothes and a tickle me elmo so far but he gets bored pretty fast and pretty much has a lot of stuff so don't want to buy more crap for the sake of it. He has plenty of books more than he needs tbh. Got him the Marvel Advent calendar which is all books and the disney one. I'm thinking that's it tbh. He will be gifted tons of stuff from folk for his birthday no doubt and then same again on Christmas so he's getting a lot in one go and adding more on top just seems dumb but if there is something that will really aid his development I'm all ears.

I regularly just get stuff as and when he needs rather than waiting but this being his first Christmas not that he will know any better and his first birthday I wanted to get him something that will help his progression and stand him in good stead.

I already got him a kids tablet and early learning centre tablet but all he's interested in right now is standing up and crawling about everywhere. I was thinking bath toys he's got bored of all the rubber ducks and fishes and crabs I got him and the swimming penguin. Any good ones out there?
Something meaningful for when he is older, rather than "for now". A specific Christmas decoration, something personalised, whatevs.

Caporegime
Nothing, you're only buying him something for yourself. Save your pennies and take him out or something instead.

He goes to family and friends regularly and soft play now as well since he's much more confident in crawling and standing. With it being winter and minus outside today in Scotland cars all frozen over I'm reluctant to take him outdoors for long periods for obvious reasons. We do have outings planned for the next 3 weekends though.

I think I'll try and get him some decent bath toys and call it a day for now. Already got him a few bits and bobs and like I say he will likely be gifted loads. We have told people to stop gifting as we are having to just re-gift or keep it for later but just doesn't end. We normally just tell them to get him clothes now or cash. He's a messy bugger so goes through a lot of clothes because he gets covered when he's learning to eat. He doesn't want his own food but eat what we are having which is great but sometimes he doesn't know what it is and just gets it everywhere. Was hilarious watching him try new stuff though.

I just thought someone might know of some great developmental stuff for his age band. I got him wooden stacking block thing but he's still too young yet just throws the bits everywhere.

Soldato
He goes to family and friends regularly and soft play now as well since he's much more confident in crawling and standing. With it being winter and minus outside today in Scotland cars all frozen over I'm reluctant to take him outdoors for long periods for obvious reasons. We do have outings planned for the next 3 weekends though.

I think I'll try and get him some decent bath toys and call it a day for now. Already got him a few bits and bobs and like I say he will likely be gifted loads. We have told people to stop gifting as we are having to just re-gift or keep it for later but just doesn't end. We normally just tell them to get him clothes now or cash. He's a messy bugger so goes through a lot of clothes because he gets covered when he's learning to eat. He doesn't want his own food but eat what we are having which is great but sometimes he doesn't know what it is and just gets it everywhere. Was hilarious watching him try new stuff though.

I just thought someone might know of some great developmental stuff for his age band. I got him wooden stacking block thing but he's still too young yet just throws the bits everywhere.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Kids-Bat..._14?keywords=bath+toys&qid=1637583913&sr=8-14

It wasn't these I got (can't find the ones I did - but it was a farm series with animals) but they are great fun and educational.

Caporegime
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Kids-Bat..._14?keywords=bath+toys&qid=1637583913&sr=8-14

It wasn't these I got (can't find the ones I did - but it was a farm series with animals) but they are great fun and educational.

I've been meaning to grab something like this for a while. Thought he may be too early for it yet. May as well just let him mess around with them until he's ready.

Also going to get those toys where you pour water in and it moves a mill and splashes and stuff like that too.

Soldato
I've been meaning to grab something like this for a while. Thought he may be too early for it yet. May as well just let him mess around with them until he's ready.

Also going to get those toys where you pour water in and it moves a mill and splashes and stuff like that too.
Tbh until she was about 13 months she was more fascinated/absolutely fixated on the bath plug. The "stick on" things I linked to are great because you can build a story with them, they hand you the things and you construct the story. We did try an Iggle Piggle light-up boat but she got bored of it pretty quick.

We did the water mills etc. but her favourite thing is just a plastic cup to pour water over herself and the flannel I use on her face :p

Soldato
Question for those of you with potty trained boys, did any of them suffer from a regression during the night? My son has been dry for a few months but just over the weekend he's had a couple of accidents during the night. We're thinking of going back to the bed wetting alarm.
How old is he and how long has he been potty trained? Our eldest has been potty trained for about a year I think, he's 3 and a half now. But he still wears night time nappies as 4 times out of 5 they are wet in the morning.

Associate
we got our little one a big activity cube thing last xmas (was only 10 months old then).
for bath toys we got different stuff, sinkers and scoops and water pipe thing. the latter he plays with all the time now.

Soldato
My (now 7 month old) boy has been sleeping great the past month. Still waking for a feed once in the night but otherwise great. He even seems excited for bedtime... lol. Goes to sleep within 5 minutes of being put in his cot.

Progress!

Soldato
How old is he and how long has he been potty trained? Our eldest has been potty trained for about a year I think, he's 3 and a half now. But he still wears night time nappies as 4 times out of 5 they are wet in the morning.
Sorry should have been clearer. He's 5, and has probably been dry during the day for a couple of years. It's just the night time that's been more recent say 6 months or so. I did read something about a regression sometimes (not sure if it's as he's tricky to put down as he seems to bounce off the ceiling sometimes), we're trying to bring them both up to bed earlier but tricky when you have an older one.

Associate
Caporegime

The second two are already the types of things I was looking at but the first 2 look perfect. Especially the large cube. Looks like it has a lot to do and he gets bored easily so hopefully that will keep him entertained as well as help him develop

Soldato
Anyone else's kids do stuff like brownies? I feel like getting my daughter to actually do any work towards badges is just a massive struggle. She needs a lot of guidance.

Soldato
Anyone else's kids do stuff like brownies? I feel like getting my daughter to actually do any work towards badges is just a massive struggle. She needs a lot of guidance.

Have you asked her if she actually still wants to go to Brownies? Seems like she's really disinterested.

My oldest son is desperate to join the military when he's old enough, so I'm encouraging him to go to cadets as soon as he is old enough(next June).

Permabanned

Son went to Beavers/Cubs/Scouts then binned it off as his mates left. Daughter still going and has just moved onto Scouts. Sometimes its a pain to get her to go but seems to enjoy it on the whole, not that often they have stuff to do for badges outside of the sessions but now and again she has done tasks for badges.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Might sound really stupid and can't put it into words very well, but feeling a bit down today about feeling like I'm not buying/treating our 18 month old to enough 'stuff'/toys.

He's such a happy chappy at home and has toys he likes to play with (I say play, carry around, smash into the walls, usual stuff ;) ), but just feel like I'm doing bad by not getting him new stuff more often.

He had his first birthday where he had some things, then didn't really get him anything new until his 18 month 'birthday' where picked up a couple of the little Tomy Toomies car type things as he already had the egg box.

I'm not saying buy stuff for the sake of it, but just worried that as my wife and I have a natural tendancy to not buy stuff for the sake of it and not have stuff everywhere, is it impacting what we do for him?

As said it sounds stupid I know, and he's such a happy little boy who frankly seems more than happy just to run around the place rather than having things, but just having a funny day today wondering if I should be doing more.

Back
Top Bottom