OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
I'm super pragmatic so only buy new stuff if it addresses a new educational opportunity. The easiest thing around this age is to load him/her full with magazines, sticker books, colouring activities etc - and make it least faff possible. My friend bought paint sticks which makes it an impossible task to get going as sheets need to go down...supervision required... tidy up and clothing covers etc... - makes it miserable. I stick to crayons and she has a chalk board.

Stickers have been her latest favourite thing. You can get a 2000 sticker book from the Works for like 2 quid.

Associate
I try and buy as little as possible for him when i comes to just normal toys. Everytime we see family or friends he gets stuff gifted and it's just getting too much. So I'm at a point where if we buy something new, somethings gotta go in the bin / recycle / resell.

On another note:
looking for xmas and bday present. been looking at the amazon fire 7 or 8 kids tablet and Yoto player or Tonies box. anybody got any recommendations?

Caporegime
I try and buy as little as possible for him when i comes to just normal toys. Everytime we see family or friends he gets stuff gifted and it's just getting too much. So I'm at a point where if we buy something new, somethings gotta go in the bin / recycle / resell.

On another note:
looking for xmas and bday present. been looking at the amazon fire 7 or 8 kids tablet and Yoto player or Tonies box. anybody got any recommendations?

The amazon tablets are crap but I got one because it has a 3 year kid proof warranty. Chances are he will smash it at some point as he likes launching things into orbit. It's only used at meal times to help him focus otherwise he doesn't eat as he ends up playing with his food. It's a bad habit though so we only bring it out when he's really struggling to eat. He's only 11 and a bit months old so it's just stuff like the gruffalo, sesame street and the very hungry caterpillar that goes on. hopefully when he's a bit older he can do educational apps and the likes on it. like learn the alphabet and numbers type stuff.

Associate
The amazon tablets are crap but I got one because it has a 3 year kid proof warranty. Chances are he will smash it at some point as he likes launching things into orbit. It's only used at meal times to help him focus otherwise he doesn't eat as he ends up playing with his food. It's a bad habit though so we only bring it out when he's really struggling to eat. He's only 11 and a bit months old so it's just stuff like the gruffalo, sesame street and the very hungry caterpillar that goes on. hopefully when he's a bit older he can do educational apps and the likes on it. like learn the alphabet and numbers type stuff.
crap in what way?
ideally looking for something robust, because he'll most likely be dropping / throwing it at some point, hence i don't want him using our ipad. Just wasn't sure if there are any other decent alternatives.

Caporegime
crap in what way?
ideally looking for something robust, because he'll most likely be dropping / throwing it at some point, hence i don't want him using our ipad. Just wasn't sure if there are any other decent alternatives.

Slow, very very slow. If you are used to using anything of any decent quality this thing will feel like going from SSD to mechanical or possibly even magnetic tape. Takes forever to start up so we never turn it off now just leave it on sleep. Then when you want to do something just be patient as it is really slow. Once it starts playing what you want though it's fine it's getting there that hurts.

It has a huge bumper case and warranty against kids breaking it so it is robust. Plus amazon will honour said warranty too which you can have faith in. I'd honestly pay that £30 more to have better cpu and ram. Like even a raspberry pi would work faster.

Soldato
If you weren't one to freely give feedback I'd bite my tongue but that is pretty poor behaviour lol :cry:

Caporegime
crap in what way?

We've had two Fire tablets, they're slow, have issues with battery drain but they are invincible in the thick cases, have loads of stuff for the kids on and easy to use.

Our eldest is getting an iPad mini for Xmas as she's using it for homework (almost 7) but has been happy with the Fire up until recently.

We've got a Yoto and they're easy to use and we'll thought out but my daughter had absolutely zero interest in it. Just couldn't get her to use it.

Associate
Slow, very very slow. If you are used to using anything of any decent quality this thing will feel like going from SSD to mechanical or possibly even magnetic tape. Takes forever to start up so we never turn it off now just leave it on sleep. Then when you want to do something just be patient as it is really slow. Once it starts playing what you want though it's fine it's getting there that hurts.

It has a huge bumper case and warranty against kids breaking it so it is robust. Plus amazon will honour said warranty too which you can have faith in. I'd honestly pay that £30 more to have better cpu and ram. Like even a raspberry pi would work faster.

thanks for that. Mrs only mentioned 7 or 8, but i haven't properly looked at them yet. I rather pay the extra if there are higher tech specs available.

Associate
We've had two Fire tablets, they're slow, have issues with battery drain but they are invincible in the thick cases, have loads of stuff for the kids on and easy to use.

Our eldest is getting an iPad mini for Xmas as she's using it for homework (almost 7) but has been happy with the Fire up until recently.

We've got a Yoto and they're easy to use and we'll thought out but my daughter had absolutely zero interest in it. Just couldn't get her to use it.
thanks, our little one is only turning 2 in February so a tad early for an ipad :p
regarding Yoto or Tonies, think the current Vodafone 35% off deal for Tonies as well as support for german audiobooks/stories might swing it in the end.

Caporegime
thanks, our little one is only turning 2 in February so a tad early for an ipad :p
regarding Yoto or Tonies, think the current Vodafone 35% off deal for Tonies as well as support for german audiobooks/stories might swing it in the end.

Honestly don't see the appeal in the storybook thing. I have several google mini speakers which I could use as a casting device for songs, audiobooks, etc. It's portable but then if he's out and about the last thing he is going to be doing is listening to a story, would rather he be interacting.

Caporegime
Honestly don't see the appeal in the storybook thing. I have several google mini speakers which I could use as a casting device for songs, audiobooks, etc. It's portable but then if he's out and about the last thing he is going to be doing is listening to a story, would rather he be interacting.

It's more a bedtime type thing rather than for items out and about and the cards are quite good for kids to use.

Soldato
Son went to Beavers/Cubs/Scouts then binned it off as his mates left. Daughter still going and has just moved onto Scouts. Sometimes its a pain to get her to go but seems to enjoy it on the whole, not that often they have stuff to do for badges outside of the sessions but now and again she has done tasks for badges.
She enjoys it, but all the work is done st home. I don't think they've done anything when she goes in. I did do cubs/beavers/scouts when I was a kid but u can't remember what. To address other posts, I did army cadets and enjoyed it, although I struggle making friends, but it was fun. On the tablet side I've bought 2 Samsung galaxy tab a7 lite for the kids, not much more than the fires but seem reasonably well reviewed. Kids are 5 and 7, didn't go ipad as I'd have to buy 2:cry:. We gad a nexus 7, and an acer 7 something and both were poor. I've had a quick play a couple of months ago to update them and they seemed pretty snappy.

Soldato
God I hate nighttime feeds and the attempts to de gas her and put her to sleep, it's like mission impossible to get them bubbles out, so frustrating it's unreal!!!@###!

Back
Top Bottom