OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
I've barely missed a day with my youngest son thanks to wfh. Even when I did have to go to the office I was always up first at 6am, get him up, breakfast, clothes change and nappy duty then eldest son would get up at 7am, breakfast and clothed. Then I got ready at 7.30am, out the door by 7.45am. Get home at 4.45pm and take over from wife and do dinners, bath and bedtimes.

I didnt get any of this with my eldest son as was working office 5 days a week and left before they were up and only had an hour at home for bath and bed time and we definitely don't have as tight a bond as youngest son.

Soldato
Realising its going to be a while until our 3yo goes dry through the night every time and getting annoyed at waste/cost of night time nappies for him.

Can anyone recommend decent night time reusable?

And while at it, might swap to reusable for the 15 month old too...

Soldato
Realising its going to be a while until our 3yo goes dry through the night every time and getting annoyed at waste/cost of night time nappies for him.

Can anyone recommend decent night time reusable?

And while at it, might swap to reusable for the 15 month old too...
My 3yr old wears Lidl size 6 pull ups (cheaper than washing reusables), he is nearly dry thoroughly he night, I have to put him on the potty for a sleep wee just before I goto bed. It won't be long before he is dry through the night now as he is very proud of his dry nappies (we re use it if it's dry).

Soldato
We get the night time ones from Aldi a black/grey pack. He's 4 in February, totally dry during the day but night he's not bothered. We did try a month or so back without but just wasn't happening for him/us. He's fine during the day if he has a nap though. We will try again for night after new year. Best bet is to get some bed pads that are reusable, we have 3. Blue one side and pink other side and have cotton flaps that wrap under the mattress. One of those, bed sheet. Another bed pad and bedsheet, So if he does have a accident, whip off top sheet and first pad. No faffing during the night fitting new bedding. We are going to get another duvet for him too, juts incase he wets that at the same time.

Our 1 year old uses the Aldi or Lidl pull ups. Size 7 ones.

Soldato
We get the night time ones from Aldi a black/grey pack. He's 4 in February, totally dry during the day but night he's not bothered. We did try a month or so back without but just wasn't happening for him/us. He's fine during the day if he has a nap though. We will try again for night after new year. Best bet is to get some bed pads that are reusable, we have 3. Blue one side and pink other side and have cotton flaps that wrap under the mattress. One of those, bed sheet. Another bed pad and bedsheet, So if he does have a accident, whip off top sheet and first pad. No faffing during the night fitting new bedding. We are going to get another duvet for him too, juts incase he wets that at the same time.

Our 1 year old uses the Aldi or Lidl pull ups. Size 7 ones.
I think we stacked about 4 or 5 with sheets for my son. Very quick then during the night:cry:, the only downside is if they "roam" as the pads aren't that big.

Soldato
Daughter is at a fantastic age now at 19 months where she practically shrieks when I get home from work and proceed to do this cute feed stamping war 'dance' from pure excitement seeing her old man. No idea where she got that from.

Soldato
Daughter is at a fantastic age now at 19 months where she practically shrieks when I get home from work and proceed to do this cute feed stamping war 'dance' from pure excitement seeing her old man. No idea where she got that from.
Get the same when I pick George up from the nursery, watch him playing for a bit then when he sees me he shouts daddy and comes running while telling everyone that's his daddy. Really cheers you up after a long days work.

Soldato
OP
Protip, deal with bedtime routines early.

Battling with my daughter every night to get her to go to bed on her own has been draining. She's nearly 6 and man she is stubborn as hell. We've made some progress though and I can practically taste the extra time in the evening.

The other night she gave me an ultimatum. I heard her shout from her room "daddy I'm going to count to 3, and if you don't come in here...................... You'll be sorry! 3....... 2......... 1...... THATS IT! I am not your best friend anymore!" It was amusing, but other antics have been less so.

We had tried the controlled crying when she was 2 but decided it wasn't for us. Starting to think we should have started even earlier!

But now she went to bed on her own last night so she gets to play Zoombinis and is all proud of herself. Fingers crossed!

Soldato
Protip, deal with bedtime routines early.

Battling with my daughter every night to get her to go to bed on her own has been draining. She's nearly 6 and man she is stubborn as hell. We've made some progress though and I can practically taste the extra time in the evening.

The other night she gave me an ultimatum. I heard her shout from her room "daddy I'm going to count to 3, and if you don't come in here...................... You'll be sorry! 3....... 2......... 1...... THATS IT! I am not your best friend anymore!" It was amusing, but other antics have been less so.

We had tried the controlled crying when she was 2 but decided it wasn't for us. Starting to think we should have started even earlier!

But now she went to bed on her own last night so she gets to play Zoombinis and is all proud of herself. Fingers crossed!

Our little one is coming up to 5 months ,we take her upstairs about 8 and aim to have her fed and asleep by 9-9:30 at the latest, she moans for a bit and can be a struggle but hopefully it will pay off.

On another note she has 1 up and awake nappy change and feed in the night between 3-5 then back to sleep for almost bang on 7 every morning, we get at least 6-7 hours sleep a night, think we lucked out with her!!

Soldato
OP
Our little one is coming up to 5 months ,we take her upstairs about 8 and aim to have her fed and asleep by 9-9:30 at the latest, she moans for a bit and can be a struggle but hopefully it will pay off.

On another note she has 1 up and awake nappy change and feed in the night between 3-5 then back to sleep for almost bang on 7 every morning, we get at least 6-7 hours sleep a night, think we lucked out with her!!

Watch out for sleep regression around 9 or 10 months (apparently this is a thing). We had the same sweet gig and then she just stopped. We thought it was a phase but now 5 and a half years and a lot more wrinkles later we are aware it was not. In retrospect, I would have filled my heart with tinfoil and steel wool and been a bit harder from the start.

Soldato

Lush ain't it! I love getting home to my kids (3 & 5) and they shout "daddy's home" and wait by the front door, makes my heart melt, then they be little ***** the rest of the night :p

Soldato
My boy (8 months) is crawling now, hooning about like a maniac. Suddenly everything in my house is lethal lol. We prepared a little but we've got to go around and do another sweep.
I 'over prepped' for this stage and invested quite a bit in safety gates, room barriers, etc etc etc. Turns out it was quite short lived, it all got torn down once she got stable on her feet at around ... 15 months? - so if you do need to baby proof, don't go too permanent :D

Soldato
Watch out for sleep regression around 9 or 10 months (apparently this is a thing). We had the same sweet gig and then she just stopped. We thought it was a phase but now 5 and a half years and a lot more wrinkles later we are aware it was not. In retrospect, I would have filled my heart with tinfoil and steel wool and been a bit harder from the start.

Yeah I've heard that can happen but we both agreed we will not change anything, crying or no crying it's food, quiet time and bed regardless.

That and hopefully she takes after me and loves her sleep and early nights......

Man of Honour
Is anyone here bringing up their children multi-lingual or bilingual? How are you getting on with it considering English is the primary language they're exposed to? Our primary school doesn't do French at the moment which is a little frustrating (well not until they're older) but fortunately I'm relatively proficient in Spanish so it's not too bad.

Do you take your kids to additional lessons or after school clubs focussing on their other language(s)?

My kids understand 90% of what I say to them, and often translate for others which is amazing to see, but they seldom try and verbalise things in other languages, just stick to english as they know I understand / speak English (just about!).

Just keen to hear on people's strategies for keeping another language or languages on the go with your kids.

Caporegime
Here’s a question for those with older children…

As they start to work and earn their own money what age is it acceptable to make them pay for their own hair cuts/mobile phones etc… my lad is 17 in may so obviously can’t take out a phone in his name but my girlfriend pays for his phone, he’s working and earning his own money now.

Ref hair cuts when I started my job when I was 16 I just started to pay for my own hair cuts and never even thought to ask my mum to pay for it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom