OcUK Dadsnet thread

We've hit some horrific toddler tantrums with the twins, especially our girl. Genuinely one of the worst days for it today. If it had been two years back, think I would have had a breakdown.
Yeah, tantrums are the absolute thing I'm worst at dealing with. Fortunately my wife is much better so we tag out when our daughter is being particularly challenging.

I try to take comfort in that after the run of awful tantrums, she usually ends up doing something amazing/impressive. Or she drinks bath water. It's 50/50.

Also mine are now 7 and 10 and then must have have been ill may e 2 or 3 times through the whole of nursery. Fortunately they did both pick up chick pox as that's not something I'd want them to miss as I believe it's really bad if your older and haven't had it.
I believe the feeling on that has changed now? You want to avoid CP as it's leaving the shingles virus dormant to reactivate later in life and can be seriously life altering in terms of pain.

Been doing potty training these past few weeks with our daughter, who turns 4 this month, but has ASD so it’s been a bit more challenging than normal. Anyway, after so much frustration, and honestly thinking she isn’t capable of it yet (kids with ASD don’t sense things the same as other kids), today she started to hop on the potty, with a bit of prompting, and then without. Then this evening my wife’s gone out for dinner with a friend, and now all evening she’s been using it without prompting and entirely of her own volition, peaking with her taking her 1st independent dump. Even managed to get her to sleep without a fuss, so just sitting with an ice cold bottle of Moretti, contemplating the massive total of brownie points (poor phrasing I know) I’ve surely just accrued.

Last edited:
I believe the feeling on that has changed now? You want to avoid CP as it's leaving the shingles virus dormant to reactivate later in life and can be seriously life altering in terms of pain.

Found shingles to be a bizarre pain, almost like dinomite, tickling sensation then a short stabbing pain.

Bizarre condition.

Also seen adults with chicken pox later on life who missed it at a younger age...no thanks !!!

Shingles - my adult friend ended up with facial paralysis that lasted months :/

We were discussing getting our kids the jabs then they literally caught it a week after, so that decision was made for us.

Got chickenpox at age 26. So, a long time ago, and I still remember the onset like it was yesterday! Felt like I nearly died. Lost 3 days and loads of body weight.
Had it twice. Once as a kid, the second time very conveniently at the start of 1995 RWC. 2 weeks paid leave to watch the rugby. Was worth the Pox.

We are in the all clear! Weirdly her period still hasn’t come on so we assume when she thought she was spotting, it must’ve been that. 5 negative tests over a week though so I think everything is fine

Interesting conversations were had though

Had an interesting conversation with my 10 year old daughter about Santa and fairies (as in tooth fairy). She's googled it and found it's not real, my wife thinks we should keep her thinking they are real, but I think we should just come clean. What age did you guys tells yours kids about that stuff? Oh we were going to tell her before she starts secondary school.

Had an interesting conversation with my 10 year old daughter about Santa and fairies (as in tooth fairy). She's googled it and found it's not real, my wife thinks we should keep her thinking they are real, but I think we should just come clean. What age did you guys tells yours kids about that stuff? Oh we were going to tell her before she starts secondary school.
If she's old enough to Google it and find out neither are real, she's old enough to be told by you and your wife.

I found out when I was 10/11 from a friend's older brother - and my parents made me promise not to tell my younger sister for another year!

Time to explain they are "real" but not "real" in the typical context. People find comfort in having these make belief figures etc.... before long it'll verge on religion and how to sensitively allow people to believe what they want.

Nothing worse than a 10 y/o lecturing other kids on what is and isn't real :D

Love that this thread exists and will certainly be frequenting.

Dad to a 20 month old, with number 2 due in 6 weeks. With 2 under 2 this household is about to get a whole lot busier, gulp.

#1 started nursery back in Feb, it's been a carousel of various illnesses since the second week of her starting involving hospital trips and all sorts. Apparently it gets better after 6-8 months?

Last edited:

Dad to a 20 month old, with number 2 due in 6 weeks. With 2 under 2 this household is about to get a whole lot busier, gulp.

#1 started nursery back in Feb, it's been a carousel of various illnesses since the second week of her starting involving hospital trips and all sorts. Apparently it gets better after 6-8 months?
Welcome and to correct your misconception it only gets better after 16 to 18 years :D

Our girls, 10 and 15, know what is going on but are good enough to play along. Our older one probably twigged around the age of 8 and our younger one the same, maybe 9. We never said anything explicitly; it's pointless given they have contact with so many friends, neighbours, groups at school etc.

Our little one is nearly 18 months, been at the childminder/nursery since January and we had our second sitting in Paediatric A+E due to some bug she's picked up nothing serious thankfully but similar to you it just feels like it's been never ending bouts of cancelled plans/stuck in the house/taking time off work over the last 8 months so I'd really like it to end soon :o

If she's old enough to Google it and find out neither are real, she's old enough to be told by you and your wife.

I found out when I was 10/11 from a friend's older brother - and my parents made me promise not to tell my younger sister for another year!
Tbh I'm more bothered about her spoiling it for my 7 year old son. She has a habit of not thinking things through.

looking for Tips Really , our 4 year old boy is refusing to eat actual food at the moment and is having tantrums all the time when we tell him to do something.

He will Eat bread which is fine but when we make carbonara which he used to love now has a full melt down plays up and rolls on the floor till he gets his own way. we have tried to punish him like the naughty corner / step but he just laughs now.

running out of patients and dont want to blow up

Any advice would be welcome

Back
Top Bottom