OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
These sorts of threads is not allowed.

Ninja edited ;)

Honestly.

I've got a 4 year old girl and a 5 year old boy whos autistic going to work is a holiday some days

That's pretty much where I'm at. I go to work to get a break. I've got a 14 year old daughter who is doing the whole adolescent rage thing too and to deal with that and twin babies who don't sleep, is just brutal at times. Not ashamed to say I've sat in the toilets in work and asked myself why am I doing this to myself....but then I catch myself on and realise they are all healthy and I should be grateful. Guilt can be a bad thing too.

It's very hard to function when you're not getting more than 3 hours sleep in a row at night (before having to get up to feed babies)...night after night...after night.

Soldato
As the father of a 6 month girl , I have massive amounts of respect for parent(s) that have to deal with more than one infant at a time. I can not fathom how you even function as a human being.

Soldato
Alex and Lewis
13015676_10156707356595577_2186369647875913825_n_zpsoie84xls.jpg

and them watching tv...which was sweet so I took a pic
holding%20hands%20first%20time_zpswyvupxp0.jpg

Soldato
I am not a parent of multiples but i am a triplet.

I have never met triplets as old as i am, though unsurprising as fairly rare and much rarer at my age or older when ivf for humans was more experimental.

There are other multiple births in my family too, none identical, which would point to an overproduction of eggs, rather than a tendency for eggs to 'split'

My parents survived by very cleverly setting us up in a competitive environment in terms of education, and made sure we didn't develop long term alliances to gang up on the remaining kid.

What is funny is that all three of us went on to study Physics and though i have left the industry, my brother and sister are still involved.

Last edited:
Soldato
As the father of a 6 month girl , I have massive amounts of respect for parent(s) that have to deal with more than one infant at a time. I can not fathom how you even function as a human being.

A single baby would be a doddle :D

Having went through raising a single baby girl with my daughter Eva, I thought I was prepared for twins....haha was I ****.

Nothing in this world prepares you for the roller coaster that is twins.

Soldato
My mother took the twins for one night, a few weeks ago. My wife and I decided to get a chinese and wine and watch a film and just relax. We ended up going to bed at 8pm and slept from about 8pm sat night until mid day on Sunday....I could have slept longer but my mum woke me by phoning asking when I was getting the boys lol

Associate
My little boy is coming up to 3 years old; we adopted him at 10 months old after five long years of infertility and unsuccessful IVF treatments.

I absolutely adore the little monster, and looking forward to starting the process for #2 next month!

Soldato
I got a 2.5 year old and 2 month old. Its tough but twins would be a whole different ball game. Saying that, the baby is often far easier than the toddler. Toddlers drive you insane: "I want X" , " Outside playhouse?", "I want go walkin", "I'm hungry", "Dirty hands, wash hands". Once they have their own opinion on how to dress, what to eat, when to eat, what to do, when to go to bed, whether to brush their teeth etc life be some a constant battle.

I know the feeling, toddlers can be very stubborn but also really funny with what they come out with.

Soldato
Didn't even know we had one of these :D

Daughter has turned 6 months but isn't exactly pulling herself to sit up, so should weaning wait until she can do so? She often can control her head, and once rolled onto her belly, she lifts her head up.

Didn't know what I'd feel being a parent, it is definitely one of the most rewarding things in my life.

Soldato
Sorry but multiples should have a thread of their own. Whilst I applaud new singleton dads (and mums) they have no clue about multiples and I don't really want to be wading through pages of singleton info to get support and info on multiples.

Associate
You can't allow yourself to feel guilty for finding someone new. My (ex) wife started living with someone else the day she split up with me, which she did via text. I didn't know she was living with him until she updated her Facebook relationship status for all to see.

You have to think of yourself as well as your kids.

Sounds like she did you a favour!

Soldato
No clue on multiples?

I can imagine bringing up two children the same age is not that far off in 'strategy' as one child the same age. Sure it involves more work but i cant imagine what a normal parent can advise is particularly irrelevant for a parent of twins/trips.

What does a parent of a multiple have to do which a normal parent would have no clue about?

Man of Honour
My son has just turned 3, I figured I would list a few of the things that has surprised me

-Changing a nappy is not as disgusting as people make out
-I knew newborn babies needed regular feeding, what I didn't realise was how long each feed would take (I thought it would be like 5-10mins but sometimes it would take 90mins!)
-He understood 'silly games' like pretending to be asleep, hiding etc at an earlier age than I thought he might.
-It's virtually impossible to keep the house clean and tidy. Our hall carpet is pretty disgusting really with all the food trodden into it etc.
-I don't feel quite such an overwhelming sense of responsibility as I thought I would (this was what stopped me wanting kids until about 5 years ago)
-I've shifted from being a night owl (typically going to bed around 21:30-01:00 and getting up late) to more of an early bed (bed at 21:30-23:00, up at 05:45)
-I have far, far less free time in the evenings (in part due to the above but also stuff like needing to do all the chores that I haven't been able to get to during the day) than expected and basically had to give up gaming
-His interests change quite rapidly and I can already see how he is going to 'grow up too fast' and not be interested in some of the activities we have traditionally enjoyed
-He likes to get toys out but then sometimes barely touches them before moving on to something else. This is annoying if 'getting toys out' means tipping a massive box of duplo etc on the floor.
-He has a couple of allergies (cows milk protein, egg) but seems to understand that his milk (soya) is different from our milk (cows) and that ours will make him poorly
-He has a completely ridiculous ability to know whether similar looking clothes are pyjamas or "dressed" clothers. So much so that he isn't fooled if we try and put him in a t-shirt to go to bed because we can't find a clean pyjama top. "That's not jamas Daddy! Not Jamas!"
-It is quite heartbreaking to hear him say "sorry" when he hasn't really done anything worthy of an apology

Soldato
[Mumsnet mode activated] My wife recently gave birth to our 1st child. A daughter (Sofia) who's 10 weeks old. I honestly cannot believe how amazing it is being a parent and how much it's changed my life for the better. The worst thing is having to go to work in the morning and saying bye, but I have all day to looking forward to leaving work and getting home to both of them :)

Soldato
No clue on multiples?

I can imagine bringing up two children the same age is not that far off in 'strategy' as one child the same age. Sure it involves more work but i cant imagine what a normal parent can advise is particularly irrelevant for a parent of twins/trips.

What does a parent of a multiple have to do which a normal parent would have no clue about?

Ah mate, I've a 14 year old daughter and I thought twins would be twice the work...how wrong I was. Ask anyone with twins or more and they will tell you that bringing up 2 is NOT the same strategy as bringing up 1 :o

Any dads with twins out there that can relate to what I'm saying?

Soldato
I am a triplet, no need to ask. I was on the receiving end and witnessed the single birthed bros and sis grow up.

In what way do you raise them differently?

I don't doubt it is more than twice the work but your methods to raise the children should not differ much at all or were you after a 'my parenting is harder than others' thread?

Associate
Myself and my partner are expecting our first wee boy in December. My partner already has a wee guy aged 12 but this is my first new born. We are all over the moon and just found out last week it is a wee boy so even better for me :)

I am pretty nervous about it all and how to deal with the new baby when he arrives but Im glad I have my partner who has been through it before albeit a while ago now. Plus of course there is the financial side of things.

Still a mixture of lots of different feelings and cannot wait for him to arrive.

Man of Honour
She's not mine but I do live with a 8 month old and all of the screaming and breakdowns are forgotten when I'm stood in the kitchen and all I hear is her mum shouting "What are you doing!?" followed by "She's managed to poo while in her walking out of her nappy and all over the floor but totally missed getting it on her clothes!!"

I was in stitches.

Soldato
I have a 9 year old daughter,she was a bit of a surprise let me tell you :)

It was a sunday morning back in 2007,i was up ealry and the (now ex) was still asleep,got a call from the bedroom (sexy time perhaps :)) to find the bed soaking wet !

Called a ambulance and rushed her into hospital at around 8.30 am,found out she was pregnant at 10am !

Asked the nurse what was wrong with her and she said "well Mr Schizo,your partner is actually in labor"...fast forward 3 hours 40 mins and we was parents !

We had no idea she was pregnant until the nurse told us,she was 2 weeks early and healthy.

9 years later and she has grown to be the most perfect daughter,she is kind,very very polite and very pretty,we have had no trouble from her what so ever,school reports are always amazing,she does as she is told first time,she will eat anything including sushi.

Couldn't be a prouder dad to be honest :)

Back
Top Bottom