OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
3 kids here, eldest girl is 9, lad is 6, and last girl is about 2 1/2 now. Funnily enough had received confirmation of a vasectomy appointment 3 days before we found out she was on her way. Had (and still having) an amazing time with the first 2 so far, so was never really a question about not having this unexpected third. (Yes, went though with the snip, albeit much later on)

It's a long hard, tiring and aging journey...but I very day they give me something to smile about.

Soldato
Cute photos :)

I personally couldn't bear going into John Lewis/Mothercare and being bombarded with the millions of buggies and travel systems that are available.

Fortunately have had a few friends who have had kids so can do my research and go for what is tried and tested rather than what the shop wants to sell.

BB x

We just rocked up to JL with our car, loaded and unloaded the prams, walked around with them and finally chose the one we felt was easiest to use. Don't bother with parasols though as you're forever adjusting them and tbh all they do is get in the ******* way, we bought a net to stretch over the pram instead.

Soldato
I have a little boy who is 4 1/2 and is my world. Sadly broke up with his mum and she and him will be moving away in the coming months and will be around 100 miles away so my chance to see him will be minimal when that happens and will be incredibly hard.

Don't know if anyone else has been in such a situation and might have some advice or not but I know I'm going to find it very difficult to cope with not seeing him everyday!

Oh and on the advice front:

1) Cold water steriliser
Everything in it is sterilised and ready to be used immediately (once it's been in there for 20 minutes), so keep bottles etc in there, no need to wait for anything to get hot or cool down, so feeds can be prepared in a matter of moments.

2) Bibs and cloths
As others have said, get loads of these and stick a couple in any bag or coat you might have with you, you will find you'll need them all the time!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have a little boy who is 4 1/2 and is my world. Sadly broke up with his mum and she and him will be moving away in the coming months and will be around 100 miles away so my chance to see him will be minimal when that happens and will be incredibly hard.

Don't know if anyone else has been in such a situation and might have some advice or not but I know I'm going to find it very difficult to cope with not seeing him everyday!

Oh and on the advice front:

1) Cold water steriliser
Everything in it is sterilised and ready to be used immediately (once it's been in there for 20 minutes), so keep bottles etc in there, no need to wait for anything to get hot or cool down, so feeds can be prepared in a matter of moments.

2) Bibs and cloths
As others have said, get loads of these and stick a couple in any bag or coat you might have with you, you will find you'll need them all the time!!

Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully things are civil and she'll work with you a bit to help you get time together. My brother Skypes his boys every evening when they are with their mother, but for him it's just about making the time count and trying to keep up to date with school and their daily lives with Skype chats (although they mostly like to make faces at themselves when skyping)

E: also the cold water thing sounds good. There is literally nothing worse than realising you haven't sterilised any of your bottles just as your baby wakes up and starts crying. That is a long wait.

Last edited:
Soldato

Mate depending on what your situation is with the ex, hopefully its amicable for the sake of your son and that you will be able to have a lot of interaction with him via things like Skype etc. It's amazing what you can become used to.

If its not amicable or you desperately don't want him to go, speak to a solicitor for legal advice and/or submit an application to court for an emergency or ex parte hearing where you can state your reasons for not wanting your son to move, at least in the interim the court is likely to restrict your ex partner from moving. The view of the court will likely be that by her moving she will negatively effect your sons relationship with you and that must be prevented, especially at such a vulnerable age. I had to go through a similar thing, fortunately for me my interactions with the ex where tenuous at best anyway and after what she'd done to me and the kids I had no qualms in derailing her plans.

What you must understand is if you go down this route it is highly likely that things between you and your ex will become toxic as she resents you for forcing her to stay.

You have to ask yourself what's best for your son. But if you have to fight to remain in his life, fight hard and do it by the book. It's a long road but ultimately worth it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Worst night ever... Dunno what is up with him tonight. Has slept for 1 hour between 7.30 and 8.30 and he's been awake and screaming all night since. No flippin idea what his issue is. Not wet, no poo, no fever, just won't sleep.

Soldato
I can't believe I'm the only dad of multiples I've read on here

You're not! Our twin boys are just over 5 months now :) Extremely tiring, although it's now becoming a lot more rewarding, what with all the smiles, laughter and rolling around.
I think once they start growing up a bit more they'll at least be able to entertain each other, that's the plan anyway!

Essential baby related items that have been totally worth their weight in gold;

Tommee Tippee perfect prep machine. This is an absolute godsend with twins.

Ewan the sheep. A great soft toy that imitates a heart beat sound as well as white noise. Seems to send them off brilliantly.

Soldato
You're not! Our twin boys are just over 5 months now :) Extremely tiring, although it's now becoming a lot more rewarding, what with all the smiles, laughter and rolling around.
I think once they start growing up a bit more they'll at least be able to entertain each other, that's the plan anyway!

Essential baby related items that have been totally worth their weight in gold;

Tommee Tippee perfect prep machine. This is an absolute godsend with twins.

Ewan the sheep. A great soft toy that imitates a heart beat sound as well as white noise. Seems to send them off brilliantly.

Ah ha....I knew I wasn't alone :p

Mine are just about to hit 8 months old now. Still hard work but loving the laughter and smiles too :D

Any teeth your end yet? If not then strap yourself in fella, teething with twins is crazy lol. We used to do a wash just for their bibs...40+ in one go! :eek:

Drool central

Soldato
almost 11 months. He finally fell asleep about 3am but only after he fell asleep on my chest on the sofa not in his cot. Managed to move him and put him down. He was back awake at 7.30am

Now we can see him he has rosy cheeks and off his food so he must have a big tooth coming :(

I'm at work now on about 1hrs sleep :(

Soldato
As above, unlikely to make it magically go away but any little bit of help is good.

At least (well with our 11 mont hold monster anyway) the odd night of no sleep tends really to be the odd night and they'll get over whatever's going on pretty quickly.

Our little nutter is 11 months old today, has been crawling around for the last few weeks and seems very close to a few proper unaided steps. Things above shin level (/the dog) are about to get abused!

Last edited:
Soldato
Mate depending on what your situation is with the ex, hopefully its amicable for the sake of your son and that you will be able to have a lot of interaction with him via things like Skype etc. It's amazing what you can become used to.

If its not amicable or you desperately don't want him to go, speak to a solicitor for legal advice and/or submit an application to court for an emergency or ex parte hearing where you can state your reasons for not wanting your son to move, at least in the interim the court is likely to restrict your ex partner from moving. The view of the court will likely be that by her moving she will negatively effect your sons relationship with you and that must be prevented, especially at such a vulnerable age. I had to go through a similar thing, fortunately for me my interactions with the ex where tenuous at best anyway and after what she'd done to me and the kids I had no qualms in derailing her plans.

What you must understand is if you go down this route it is highly likely that things between you and your ex will become toxic as she resents you for forcing her to stay.

You have to ask yourself what's best for your son. But if you have to fight to remain in his life, fight hard and do it by the book. It's a long road but ultimately worth it.

Incorrect advice on the court situation I'm afraid. Unless she is moving a massive distance and by that I mean several hundred miles a court would be very unlikely to uphold a PSO. In fact, if your case did stop her moving it would be the only successful one I've heard of in 5.5yrs of giving advice to dads struggling to see their kids.

There must be other specific additions to your case also

Soldato
Calpol and teetha sachet.

Those teetha sachets are an interesting product. Someone recommended them to us and swore blind that they worked. So, I was a bit bewildered to find that they claim to be a homeopathic pain remedy!

I did a bit more digging and I found out why: they're full of sugar. Sugar acts as a pain reliever for babies and that's why the sachets work.

I've steered clear because I don't fancy rubbing sugar into my son's gums. I may give in if things get significantly worse though.

Soldato
OP
I was talking to a woman who makes these teething necklaces for mums which are basically soft rubber bits on a string that give them something to chew on. Also comes in bracelet form so you can just take it off and they have a bit of a gum at it. Might be worth looking into something like that.

Soldato
I'm the super proud father of a beautiful 9 month old (nearly) girl.

I'm loving fatherhood, although her mother does most of the heavy lifting with me being at work all day.

She generally sleeps okay. Put her in her cot with the light off and she may wimper for a few mins but then she falls asleep. Sometimes, however we can't get her to sleep for love nor money, she'll just scream at the top of her little lungs for hours! This only tends to happen once every couple of weeks.

She normally wakes once in the night for a feed. Luckily she's 5 min feeder so we're normally back off to sleep in 10-15 mins.

The only other time she gets stroppy is when we can't play with her. She literally wants to play all the time! Haha.

She's an angel though really. We're blessed.

Associate
Our second is now 4 weeks old. Already drinking more than can possibly be good for him and the hot weather coming next week I'm guessing I'll have less sleep than I'm already getting!

I'd forgotten the broken sleep and endless rounds of "what's wrong with you now".

Still, he's gorgeous.

Simon

Soldato
Our second is now 4 weeks old. Already drinking more than can possibly be good for him ....

I'd forgotten the broken sleep and endless rounds of "what's wrong with you now".

"Dad, get the fry up going, I fear it's a bad one this time. ;)"

Just wait till the blighter starts pulling girls and going to Magaluf, or -- heavens forfend -- Thailand! :p

Soldato
OP
Is it wrong to meme your own child?

4601383.jpg

Back
Top Bottom