OcUK Dadsnet thread

Don
Yeah, how old is she?

To be honest, it sounds like she isn't ready. FYI, full bladder control comes much much later than bowel control. I assume you've gone cold-turkey too, instead of using pull-ups?

Soldato
Shes 3 years old.

Shes going to preschool in September and they said they'd prefer her to be potty trained.

She seems to be so far behind the other kids its starting to worry me a bit.

Caporegime
Just put them on every 10 mines until they get it. You didn’t say how often. With all being at home should be ideal timing to try.

You can get them trained at 18 months.

Soldato
OP
I wish I had something helpful to add on this one, but weirdly the incentive that worked for Riley was just that she wanted to pull the flush and had to use the toilet to do it.

Soldato
I can't help, but my sons 21 months and is now telling me before he poops... Although... I don't really want to start potty training. I'll let the wife decide when

Caporegime
Anyone stupid enough to try potty training during the lockdown?
I'm literally losing my mind, were on week 3 and she seems to get it some days others she just does it on the floor.

It's like a constant torture having too be on edge to catch any accidents...

My house smells of **** and **** despite the number of times I've washed all the carpets.

I can feel my anger raising every day, all her friends got it in under 2 weeks and were still in phase 1.

I Honestly am losing hope that shell get it.

She understands some days that she needs to go on the potty but then the next day shell completely torpedoe the previous day and pee on the floor.

Both me and my missus are losing the plot.

Any ideas?

Not ready, you're not doing anyone any favours by pushing too early. Take a break for a few weeks then try again. Kids vary massively on when they're ready.

Soldato
18 months and still not a sleep through yet. :o

Needless to say, tempers and patience have been tested to the limit in our household lately.
my youngest is 20 months and only in the last 2-3 months has he slept through and even now he still wakes up early, between 5 and 6am, we have gotten into such a bad habit of just bringing him into bed with us :( but as soon as he is there he is straight back to sleep until 7am.

Soldato
my youngest is 20 months and only in the last 2-3 months has he slept through and even now he still wakes up early, between 5 and 6am, we have gotten into such a bad habit of just bringing him into bed with us :( but as soon as he is there he is straight back to sleep until 7am.
That's our story. If he wasn't in our bed we'd just be up and down to the nursery constantly. In fact, he just wouldn't settle.

Soldato
Anyone had their child suddenly fear the bath? Our 4 year old has been perfectly fine with baths but has started to fear them now, more so she panics when she thinks the plug is going to get sucked down the drain with the water. She literally won't go in them at the moment, starts to shake if we try ask her if she'll have one. At the moment we're just having her stand on a towel in the bathroom and giving her a clean that way but I think today we are going to try setting up small pool to see if we can wash her properly.

I have read online that it can happen though as their brains can't yet register that the holes are too small for anything to get through.

Soldato

I think you'll find 90% of parents have this and when they say 'he/she sleeps in their own bedroom', it either means they get woken up a few times a night to settle them back to sleep or they just let them get in their bed once they wake up.

Our daughter has taken to sleeping in the bloody guest bedroom instead of her room. If we put her to bed in the guest room, she nods off quickly and hardly ever wakes up but do the same in her room, she's up 2-3 time a night. Kids are infuriating.

Soldato
Anyone had their child suddenly fear the bath? Our 4 year old has been perfectly fine with baths but has started to fear them now, more so she panics when she thinks the plug is going to get sucked down the drain with the water. She literally won't go in them at the moment, starts to shake if we try ask her if she'll have one. At the moment we're just having her stand on a towel in the bathroom and giving her a clean that way but I think today we are going to try setting up small pool to see if we can wash her properly.

I have read online that it can happen though as their brains can't yet register that the holes are too small for anything to get through.
Irrational fears expect a few more before the little one hits 8yrs old!!

Soldato
OP

We tend to mix it between showers and baths depending on whatever random thing is causing ours to put it off that day. Baths are usually the winner as there is more play time, but we sell showers as a "you'll have more time to play before bed" option.

Have you ever given showers a go? We lucked out as one day she just thought it would be funny to have a go and now she enjoys them.

Soldato
Have you ever given showers a go? We lucked out as one day she just thought it would be funny to have a go and now she enjoys them.

We don't have a shower, so options are somewhat limited. We have them showerhead attachments for the taps but it's impossible to keep the water from going hot and cold.

We started doing arts and crafts using paints recently, which means getting more dirty and more using the sink to wash our hands in, I'm hoping this can help ease her in.

Soldato
We don't have a shower, so options are somewhat limited. We have them showerhead attachments for the taps but it's impossible to keep the water from going hot and cold.

We started doing arts and crafts using paints recently, which means getting more dirty and more using the sink to wash our hands in, I'm hoping this can help ease her in.
My 2 year old seemed to suddenly fear the bath after being fine. I just mad him sit down repeatedly until he gave up. Yes there were a few tears and screams but he's totally fine now.

I had the same issue with washing his hair. I'd use a little toy bucket and pour that over his head. At first he would scream and shout and hate it. After a few weeks he just sits there and closes his eyes until it's over.

Kids are much more resilient than we give them credit for and sometimes you just have to be alittle firmer in a loving way of course and that gets the job done and dusted in a much quicker and time efficient way rather than spending weeks or months "encouraging" a certain behaviour

Associate

Have you tried getting into the bath with them before hand?

Soldato
Managed to con my 3 year old into tidying up yesterday. 'I bet i can put more hatchimals away than you' his response was no you can't i'm going to win. I feel its a solid way to get kids tidying, turn it into a competition:D.

Back
Top Bottom