OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
OP
my baby boy was born on monday evening and i cant stop kissing his chubby cheeks.

feels amazing becoming a dad :D

Congrats dude! Best thing in the world. Knackering, but worth it.

I just had a surprise message from one of the school mums offering to take my daughter until 3 today, and after having her solo all day yesterday I am over the moon to have an actual weekend day.

Soldato
Soo daughters got the stomach bug that is going round, up all night vomiting and of course wanting me the whole time.

Missus wasn't wanted so spent the time in bed... Not jealous at all....

As my missus is a teacher she can't really take days off, I'm doing the sick nurse routine today.

So far my missus mother, grandmother and my mother have questioned whether or not I am capable of looking after my own sock child....

Only been doing it for four bloody years...

Soldato
Somewhere inbetween for us... that Tommy Tippee sanitiser thing is pretty simple just load the bottles in it as they are used during the day then shove it on just after bedtime, easy peasy

Soldato
For new parents, you soon realise that the bottle sterilisers are "a sell" on you as new parents. They prey on your insecurities and vulnerabilities for your first born. The "you need to get this machine or you're a bad parent" vibes thrown your direction until you cave in and buy it. Second baby onwards, you know a good wash with soap and water works just the same and doesn't cost anything near the steriliser costs.

Soldato
For new parents, you soon realise that the bottle sterilisers are "a sell" on you as new parents. They prey on your insecurities and vulnerabilities for your first born. The "you need to get this machine or you're a bad parent" vibes thrown your direction until you cave in and buy it. Second baby onwards, you know a good wash with soap and water works just the same and doesn't cost anything near the steriliser costs.

Hmm, I think it's true that certain products are a bit of a gimmick / preying on insecurities but I wouldn't class the steriliser or the bottle prep machine in that category. It's more about the fact that you're tired, making 5 or 6 bottles a day especially at the start (if formula feeding) and just don't have time to hand wash the bottles, or stand about waiting for the kettle to boil and then the annoying dance of trying to get the formula to the right temperature etc. on zero sleep for days at 3 in the morning...

Neither gadgets were particularly expensive and since we used them every day for the entire first year it felt like money well spent, have put them in the loft ready for another full year of use if/when we have another little one. Not trying to be overly defensive here just my own take on it :D

What would I class as preying on insecurities? Those "smart sock" or "smart sleep suit" things that claim to be able to accurately detect changes in the baby's breathing or heartrate or whatever to give you an alarm at night if something bad happens. Not to be dismissive of what must be the worst thing anyone could ever go through - but I feel like if you end up in a SIDS situation those monitoring things are going to do absolutely nothing to change the outcome, and yet I expect they probably do go off as false alarms a lot, making you even more panicked then you must already have been to buy them in the first place

Soldato
For my eldest everything got steamed and sanitised. For my youngest, it just got a quick rinse under the tap after washing up :D
We did that, just wash the bottles the same as anything else.
Just come off bottles now at 9 months old, starting to stand up on her own trying to take a step. Doing well eating food, she loved the roast dinner we had yesterday.

Man of Honour
We did that, just wash the bottles the same as anything else.
Just come off bottles now at 9 months old, starting to stand up on her own trying to take a step. Doing well eating food, she loved the roast dinner we had yesterday.

They’re lovely when they get geared up to take their first hesitant steps, one hand on the sofa, little legs wobbling as they try to assess if they can let go and try, plus looking for a spot to aim at.
My mother said that the first time that I launched myself away from her knee was in the air raid shelter at Elephant and Castle Underground Station circa September 1940 when I was 10 months old.
We were living at my paternal grandmother’s house in Brockley, but mum had taken me on a tram to visit friends in Lion Street Walworth, (no longer there), to show off her pride and joy, but the Luftwaffe came over and spoiled the evening.

Last edited:
Soldato
We manage at times a nice 5 hour sleepy time stint during the night, so far no sleeping through at 3 months old sigh.

She never ever sleeps through the day by herself.ever. not sure why that is, at night as long as she has no gas bubbles causing trouble then she will spark out and sleep by herself at night.

my baby boy was born on monday evening and i cant stop kissing his chubby cheeks.

feels amazing becoming a dad :D

Congratulations!

Soldato
She never ever sleeps through the day by herself.ever. not sure why that is, at night as long as she has no gas bubbles causing trouble then she will spark out and sleep by herself at night.
Ours will only cat nap during the day just after a feed or if in the car/pram and in motion. Similar age.

I find cobblestone pavements send her to sleep pretty quickly in the buggy, something to do with how the pram rocks her on them I assume!

Soldato
Question for those of you with potty trained boys, did any of them suffer from a regression during the night? My son has been dry for a few months but just over the weekend he's had a couple of accidents during the night. We're thinking of going back to the bed wetting alarm.

Back
Top Bottom