OcUK Dadsnet thread

OG

OG

Associate
Soo... sleep consultants. A somewhat contentious subject based on this thread, however our 7 month old continues to be fully awake between 4-5am and has done for the past 14 days.

We've tried messing around with nap times/gaps inbetween naps and pushing his bed time out later/earlier but just keeps waking up between 4-5am. Does anyone have any recommendations for sleep consultants, obviously doesn't need to be anyone local to us and with so many 'professionals' offering paid service I'd rather not take too much of a chance in case it doesn't work out.

Cheers

Associate
Soo... sleep consultants. A somewhat contentious subject based on this thread, however our 7 month old continues to be fully awake between 4-5am and has done for the past 14 days.

We've tried messing around with nap times/gaps inbetween naps and pushing his bed time out later/earlier but just keeps waking up between 4-5am. Does anyone have any recommendations for sleep consultants, obviously doesn't need to be anyone local to us and with so many 'professionals' offering paid service I'd rather not take too much of a chance in case it doesn't work out.

Cheers
Seriously, a sleep consultant? All 5 of mine went through a stage of waking at 5am. The twins still do and they are 2.

Deal with it? Kids get up early to start the day it isn't anything unusual

Reactions: gEd
Man of Honour
Has anyone taken a 5 month old to a music festival? We would be staying in a hotel that's walking distance from the venue. The venue has a family tent with baby changing etc facilities.
We took a 4 month old, was absolutely fine but we didn't stay late and spent a good chunk of the time in the kids arena.

Soldato

Cheers
Do you have black out blinds? 4-5 is when it starts getting light now these days and could be what's stirring little one.

Permabanned

Cheers

Yes, we got some help with our first. Was all over the phone and was quite possibly the best money we ever spent. While ago so can't remember who it was though, will ask wife when she's about.

Soldato

Cheers
I'll ping you a name. Was an absolute god send to us. Google my mention of it in this thread and you'll see the feedback from the yokels :cry:

• Love
Reactions: OG

OG

OG

Associate
Yes, we got some help with our first. Was all over the phone and was quite possibly the best money we ever spent. While ago so can't remember who it was though, will ask wife when she's about.

I'll ping you a name. Was an absolute god send to us. Google my mention of it in this thread and you'll see the feedback from the yokels :cry:

Hero's , thank you both.

Permabanned
Hero's , thank you both.

Was an initial consultation, then given advice/a program, support throughout, worth every penny.

Reactions: OG
Soldato
If your kids are yet to have chicken pox, ill tell you now, stock up on virasoothe. Wonder stuff!
Thank god I didn't dream about this post of yours. Last night my 4yo said he had ear ache, felt a little warm to the touch. Didn't eat his tea, so drugged him with calpol. He go a little worse as the evening went on. He woke around 12:30 in the night telling me hes hot. JESUS, could have fried an egg on his fore head. after calpol again, he settled. This morning he was fine. Just noticed a few spots on his chest. Got him ready for shcool along with the other kid who is another story altogether. Noticed a few spots on his neck and face appear. Wife came home from work around8:10 i told her about a few spots, she took off his top and BAM, loads. As if they just suddenly appear out of no where. So I am now stuck with a 1 year old and a 4 year old for the day whilst she goes out with her brother. yay :(

Soldato
Thank god I didn't dream about this post of yours. Last night my 4yo said he had ear ache, felt a little warm to the touch. Didn't eat his tea, so drugged him with calpol. He go a little worse as the evening went on. He woke around 12:30 in the night telling me hes hot. JESUS, could have fried an egg on his fore head. after calpol again, he settled. This morning he was fine. Just noticed a few spots on his chest. Got him ready for shcool along with the other kid who is another story altogether. Noticed a few spots on his neck and face appear. Wife came home from work around8:10 i told her about a few spots, she took off his top and BAM, loads. As if they just suddenly appear out of no where. So I am now stuck with a 1 year old and a 4 year old for the day whilst she goes out with her brother. yay :(

It's rubbish but you just have to survive it don't you. Enjoy that coffee life my friend.

Soldato
We've had a scarlet fever outbreak at our son's nursery. We think he was one of the first to come down with it. His seemed relatively mild to be honest - no apparent sore throat, and his rash wasn't too full-on. Mainly temperature and fatigue, but did develop 'strawberry tongue'!

Two days later I'd picked up strep throat from him... which completely wiped me out for four days. Lost half a stone! I get tonsillitis frequently and quite badly.

The end of my son's antibiotics course he had another temperature and was knackered. Strangely the strawberry tongue symptom returned. Then Sunday night he was very cold in bed, temperature between 35 and 35.5, so to rule out sepsis 111 sent us to paediatric A&E at 2am.

Kid slept most of it in his pram. I got about an hour's kip in the waiting room. 8 month pregnant wife managed to sleep a bit in the freezing car, as only one parent rule. By 6am we'd still not seen a doctor despite being told we were next. At 6.30am we were told that the one doctor had gone home and we'd be lucky to be seen before 9.30am...

Went home. My son has picked up but still has strawberry tongue and we're hoping to see the GP tomorrow (could be oral thrush though), but now my wife is down with gastroenteritis. Not fun being a month away from giving birth and constantly chucking up.

What a fun few weeks...

Soldato
We've had a scarlet fever outbreak at our son's nursery. We think he was one of the first to come down with it. His seemed relatively mild to be honest - no apparent sore throat, and his rash wasn't too full-on. Mainly temperature and fatigue, but did develop 'strawberry tongue'!

Two days later I'd picked up strep throat from him... which completely wiped me out for four days. Lost half a stone! I get tonsillitis frequently and quite badly.

The end of my son's antibiotics course he had another temperature and was knackered. Strangely the strawberry tongue symptom returned. Then Sunday night he was very cold in bed, temperature between 35 and 35.5, so to rule out sepsis 111 sent us to paediatric A&E at 2am.

Kid slept most of it in his pram. I got about an hour's kip in the waiting room. 8 month pregnant wife managed to sleep a bit in the freezing car, as only one parent rule. By 6am we'd still not seen a doctor despite being told we were next. At 6.30am we were told that the one doctor had gone home and we'd be lucky to be seen before 9.30am...

Went home. My son has picked up but still has strawberry tongue and we're hoping to see the GP tomorrow (could be oral thrush though), but now my wife is down with gastroenteritis. Not fun being a month away from giving birth and constantly chucking up.

What a fun few weeks...
Oof that's a fair ordeal. The thought of being stuck in a waiting room waiting for a never-appearing doctor brings back some character building memories. Must have been extra fun when the whole purpose is to rule out sepsis. Hope your son gets better soon.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Jeez, that sounds like a nightmare. Hope all get better soon @toshj

Anyone here use a car seat protector for under the car seat? Are they worth it? I'm considering one but I'm not sure it'll really make any difference, my daughter doesn't make that much mess as it it. He says....
Was thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WVNL42F/

Also in the market for a Group 3 seat for her as she's turning 4 in a just over a month and is rapidly growing out of her current car seat(s). Graco Affix, Maxi Cosi RodiFix etc seen to be the names I see keep coming up. Any one here got any real world advice or recommendations? Ta!

Soldato
Jeez, that sounds like a nightmare. Hope all get better soon @toshj

Anyone here use a car seat protector for under the car seat? Are they worth it? I'm considering one but I'm not sure it'll really make any difference, my daughter doesn't make that much mess as it it. He says....
Was thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WVNL42F/

Also in the market for a Group 3 seat for her as she's turning 4 in a just over a month and is rapidly growing out of her current car seat(s). Graco Affix, Maxi Cosi RodiFix etc seen to be the names I see keep coming up. Any one here got any real world advice or recommendations? Ta!
It is interesting you posted it as I considered over the weekend as I polished the car, but I just use a blanket. The main thing I'm trying to prevent is the seat damaging the leather versus anything she can throw at it.

I use a Maxi Cosi that I found in Smyths Toy Store.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Wow super quick reply!

Yeah the possibility of seat damage is a concern, so far all the seats have had Isofix bases rather than seats sitting on the seat if you know what I mean (hope that makes sense?!) so I've been less worried up until now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom