OcUK Dieters Progress Thread

Soldato
OK Dieters, based on the interest in Tailgunner's post about his weightloss I thought I would start a place where we can post our progress, support each other and make CONSTRUCTIVE coments ;)

If this takes off I'll be posting daily progress and talking about my own experiences, I encourage you to do the same :)

This is NOT a place for telling people that their diets are dangerous or being rude about their ideas, I hope it will be a supportive place where we can come for solice if we put on a pound but also get a kick in the arse if we need it.

MB

Soldato
OP
As for me

My stats are in my sig, I started at 290 and my current target is 210 :)

Right now I am low carbing (YES I KNOW!) but this is a quick fix to get me to my next target and give me confidence to get into the gym, right now I'm not very confident about putting on shorts and a T-shirt and starting to lift weights again.

A little background

I've done this before in 2001 I lost 6st (84lbs) using a combination of low carbing and then Body for Life training. It wasn't easy and there isn't a day which goes by when I don't curse myself for not catching my weight gain more quickly but ce la vie :D, I'm back on the road now. I'll be posting my progress this time around, please join me.

Since 12/1 I've lost 10lbs, 70lbs to go.

Please be nice, I'm kinda laying myself open here but I'm trusting you, if there is a hint of unpleasentness I'll have the thread deleted:)

MB

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Lostkat said:
Good luck Mat! Nice to see someone else on the bandwagon, keep it up. I'd like to see more exercise and less fad dieting once you've lost a bit though. The only to lose weight properly and keep it off for good is a lifestyle re-vamp :)

I agree with you TOTALLY :)

My short term flirt with low carbing has 2 main reasons, the first I already mentioned, to make me feel a 'little' more confident about gym clothes, the second is that I find low carbing detoxes me and gets me in a firm state of mind, I did it this way last time and after doing a few weeks low carb I found the Body for Life regime a pleasure despite strict eating and 6 days a week gym sessions.

Last time it did have a big effect on my eating for a long time but it crept back, this time I will look more at maintainance after reaching goal.

Right now I have 3 target dates Alton Towers, BBQ '06 and the Swansea meet '06 :) 245, 224 and 210 or less by the end of the year.

MB

Soldato
OP
Morba said:
yep. this time it would be a proper effort at life style change aswell, where as last time was atkins and 10mile on static bike 4 times a week.
the gym/health club ive joined seems fantastic. excellent staff support and facilities :]

I found the Atkins and the gym didn't mix well last time and quickly moved to complex carbs quite quickly, I'm planning the same thing this time around.

MB

Soldato
OP
PeterNem said:
I weighed myself at the gym this morning and clocked in at 19 st 11.... ouch! I weigh more than 2 of you Piggy :p

I'm going to aim to get down to 19 stone by the end of Feb and will set future targets depending how this one goes - that works out at needing to lose 2lbs per week roughly.

19s 13.5lbs this morning, broken the 20st barrier again :).

Aim to get to 19st by mid feb 3lbs a week, do able I think, staying on diet for the Liverpool meet will be a challenge, then off to Seville in early March where I will break my diet and then start Body for Life exercise and eating when I get back.

MB

Soldato
OP
OOooo monday morning weigh ins are a good idea :)

I'm a bit of a scale complusive when I'm dieting and weigh everyday although I am aware of natural fluctuations ;)

I'm down 2lbs since this thread was started and 12lbs since 12/1/06 :)

Low carbing works fast but I don't recommend it, despite good results it does have some unpleasent but tolerable side effects. Can't wait to drop these other few lbs, up my complex carbs and get back in the gym, only another 12lbs to go before then :)

MB

Soldato
OP
LeperousDust said:
It's not really a diet, but i want to eat more healthily and join the gym and start swimming again. I want to do all that i'm just not pushing myself to at present cause i just don't have the time. If i keep up doing nothing though i probably will gain weight :p.

All this dieting annoys me though, "Atkins diet", "GI diet", "only eat food while up-side-down on your head diet", theyre all useless, by cutting out stuff in your diet you make something forbidden and thus give it more status and that makes you want it more. Eat what you want when you want, just remember not to over indulge and eat sensibly, and most of all excercise is obviously the key, just burning more calories than you eat.

Paul mckenna had a really good show on a few nights, or weeks ago about diets, it was very interesting :).

Anyhoos keep up the good work all involved.

Thanks for your input, I did ask in the first post for people please not to be rude about other peoples diet plans, maybe you missed that bit. I agree with you that in the main that a lifestyle change is preferable to fad dieting but some people need the comfort of a diet plan so they can enter in to a regime, if you told me that I could 'eat what I like, just less' it just wouldn't work. A diet plan gives me the rigid guidelines I need to keep on track.

However I disagree with your implication that diets like GI and Atkins are all bunk, they aren't. GI is based on blood sugur and insulin levels which do effect fat accumulation and Atkins works too, but as I said in a previous post I don't recommend it because of the side effects. Lets not turn this into a debate though this is a supportive thread not a discussion, you can do that in SC or SA.

MB

Soldato
OP
Mr Huddy said:
Well done mate - keep up the good work - 2lbs a week is a safe bet to keep it off.

I’m not sure about low carb diets. Not long term anyway but then I’m no dietician but did study it for while back..

Remember that fat contains 9colories of per g whereas carbs (Complex) and protein both contain 4calories per gram. Remember too, that the body doesn’t store Protein either, so too much is disposed of or worse, turned to fat. I stuck to a diet of 15/20/65 meaning 15% of my daily calories were Fat, 25% of my daily calorie intake was Protein and 65% was complex carbs.worked well along side my training regime.

There is no quick way to loose weight safely. Calorie deficit is the only way to reduce the pounds but doing in a way then is safe and long term is just as important. 2-3Lbs is a good weekly weight lose.

Lokstat – well impressive pictures :)

As I said I really don't want to turn this in to a thread about the ins and outs of diets, its just for support, if we want to discuss the workings of Low Carb or Eating Dust or Purge and Splurge it needs to be done in SA or SC not here, thats not my decision, it came from above and I have been told if the thread goes that way it will be moved to SA :(.

Personally I'll be moving to a complex carb low/ fat diet soon, but I know what I need to do. As I also said I'm not going to pimp low carbing in fact quite the opposite, I did an awful lot of reading before I embarked on this last time and I do have a good understanding of weight loss :)

Its great to have your support though, don't think I'm being nasty I just want to keep this is GD where more people can benefit from it :)

MB

Soldato
OP
holly35 said:
Well after my wokrout last night, i woke up to a nice flat toned tummy this morning! I weighed myself but no luck!
Starting Weight:10'4
Target Weight:9'7
Current Weight:10'4!

For Breakfast this morning I Had:
2 wheatabix
1 slice of Wholemeal bread with extra light Philadelphia
glass of orange juice, cup of green tea, and water.
1 banana!

Your only just starting out, it'll go and you said yourself that your tummy feels flater which can only be a good thing. Remember the scale is not the only thing in life, when you meet people they don't weigh you, they look at you and if you look good who cares if you weight 8st or 80st? :)

The other thing that I find is that if I work out hard then I can be up on the scale the next day. I am led to believe that muscle takes on water after exercise to repair itself, once this is done the water is droped again, so your body is probably makeing muscle which is a good thing!

MB

Soldato
OP
PeterNem said:
An average day so far (since Monday last week):

Breakfast:

3 weetabix with semi skimmed milk
banana

Mid morning:
Apple

Lunch:
2 slices of wholemeal bread with turkey, lettuce and cucumber
Muller light yogurt
couple of clementines

Mid-afternoon:
2 slices of ryvita with a thin spread of light spreadable cheese

Dinner:
2 roast chicken breasts (no skin)
Large amount of veg (mixed brocoli, colliflour, carrots and peas)
small amount of gravey from powder

Evening:
apple or banana and another muller light yogurt if I'm peckish.

Sounds like a very rounded diet and quite similar to Body for Life, 6 small meals with complex carbs and avoiding white bread and white rice
icon14.gif
should work well for you :)

The only suggestion I would make is maybe you want to spread out you protein intake a bit, if you are lifting weights this will help to build muscle throughout the day and if you work out in the morning then your body will wait all day for that chicken ;)

MB

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
burnsy2023 said:
Lostkat, just out of curiosity, did you have a pee before you weighed yourself? Its absolutley astonishing how much weight you can loose just by passing water.

Have a hug anyway *hug*

Burnsy

He's right Kate, I only ever take my definative weight from a first thing in the morning, (after a pee) weigh, its the time when your body is at its most consistant. Also, like I said earlier, hard exercise can cause you to take on water to mend muscle and as you said you have very achey legs then you maybe temporarily holding more water then usual :)

Don't worry

MB

Soldato
OP
Stick with the weights Piggy, I've seen girls work themselves to death every morning for a year with almost zero loss, only to find that some lifting made all the difference.

The other thing is that if you are putting muscle on then you might end up being the shape you want without losing a pound, you might just swap fat weight for muscle weight, this won't make you the same size because muscle is denser then fat so a pound of fat has 4 times the volume of a pound of muscle.

fatmuscle0ly.jpg

If you want to change your training methods you could consider Body for Life, its a program of lifting and cardio which has proven results. If you buy the book you have to read around the Americanism of it all but the program beneath is solid :)

MB

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Adam_151 said:
Start weight: 294 lbs (at start of january)
Weight this morning: 262 lbs
target weight: 200lbs
Lost: 32lbs, still to loose: 62lbs
Percentage progress: 34%

I expect it'll slow down, someone said something about loosing water, not really sure how these things work, I just work on the fact that I put less food in than I need a day, and I get lighter...

You lost 32lbs in 24 days, what did you do, cut your leg off?

MB

Soldato
OP
AcidHell2 said:
Went to the gym again tonight... did 30mins cardio (rowing machine) and 40mins on weights, yet again had a massive craving for milk when I got back. Any one have cravings like that after the gym? and any idea why?

Your body wants protein and rehydration at a guess, it needs easily accessable protein to repair muscle and milk is reasonable source although there are better.

MB

Soldato
OP
Jenjey said:
Hahaha :D Cheered me up a treat that comment.

I've had just a bowl of cereal today :/
Was meant to be cooking chicken curry but I feel very sick and not at all hungry after a recent event with someone. Blergh. Will try and make it later. Either way, not a bad day for me :)
Oooh water all day too *shining detox halo*

eat something!

I don't know if you are trying to lose (you don't look like you need to) but if you are or even of you aren't you need to eat. If you don't eat you body will hold on to everything it has and weight loss actually becomes harder!

Stuff recent events, your cute enough to go and have some more fun events at the drop of a hat ;)

MB

Soldato
OP
Adam_151 said:
Think people are mis-trusting of me :( , I agree it won't all be genuine fat loss, but my weight has gone down that much

I'm only kidding matey, it sounds like you're doing great almost 3 stone is a lot to lose in 3 weeks, just be careful that your not overdoing it :)

MB

Soldato
OP
Piggymon said:
Well done ! :D .. I know you're having a few unpleasant side effects but you're doing great ! :D

Never thought I'd say it but I can't weight to get back in the gym and eating brown rice and brown pasta. However they bring with them the job for 'free day' one day a week of unrestricted eating :)

MB

Back
Top Bottom