OcUK Dieters Progress Thread

Soldato
DanH84 said:
with regards to green tea, I can't be bothered to do any research to back up this claim but i seem to remember reading somewhere that in addition to other health benefits if taken in moderate amounts it can help raise your base metabolic rate by something like 4%.

Also is said to extend you lifespan.

Research Okinawa (island near japan) just like in the karate kid films.

They all drink green tea and have the highest rate of people over 100.

Associate
Harib0 said:
wow i'd love to be as thin as all you girls! My weight is a problem and unfortunately i lack the motivation to do anything about it. I have a 9 month old son and although i didn't put any weight on when i was pregnant with him, i didn't loose any after he was born. I was all motivated that as my baby grew i would keep my weight steady and once born i'd see a drop in weight to spur me on, that never happened and my confidence plummeted to an all time low, what with everythign else that happens after a baby! I need to loose 4 stone but find it difficult to exercise, due to financial circumstances i can't afford a gym membership. Food wise we eat really healthily planning meals for the week and home cooking them all so we know it's all good stuff (also a lot cheaper).

My first aim is to start cutting down the portions sizes and to try and eat only when i become hungry.

hey, havnt seen you on the forusm before!!
Having a baby must have done a lot to your body, and especially having a baby means you must get tired a lot!
What do you normally drink? Drink lots of water, it really does help.
I cant afford a gym membership either, well i could but I dont think I would go, and it is too far away!!
The problem I have is that I will have a great idea to be fit and healthy, but then after 2 days of my new regime...i just cant be bothered! But in the past when i have stuck at it for more than 2 days it really has worked! So this is my motivation! I think everyone getting together as a group is a great idea :) we can all be there for each other!

Try to put little exercises in to your daily routine, housework like hoovering or cleaning cna help burn calories if you really go for it! Or if you work in an office little exercises u can do in your chair (like bum clenches hehe) can help to tone. Cutting portions down sounds like a good idea, one of my grandmas friends did this and lost loads of weight!!!! Drinking a pint of water beforeeach meal helps the body to think it is fuller...so there fore creating less cravings for more food.

Good Luck!!

Associate
holly35 said:
hey, havnt seen you on the forusm before!!
I've been about a little while but i'm really quite shy/withdrawn so i don't tend to post that much in the GD.

holly35 said:
What do you normally drink? Drink lots of water, it really does help.
I do drink water and fruit juice, admitedly not enough! but i don't drink tea, coffee or fizzy drinks as i don;t like them so that helps!

holly35 said:
The problem I have is that I will have a great idea to be fit and healthy, but then after 2 days of my new regime...i just cant be bothered! But in the past when i have stuck at it for more than 2 days it really has worked! So this is my motivation! I think everyone getting together as a group is a great idea :) we can all be there for each other!
Yep i know that one - i once did a juice fast for 30 days and really surprised myself at my will power to stick with it, seems to me like i'm an all or nothing person - no in betweens

holly35 said:
Try to put little exercises in to your daily routine, housework like hoovering or cleaning can help burn calories if you really go for it!
I do go out for walks with my little boy he loves being outside, maybe i need to up the tempo a bit, also hopefully my imminent attack on the oven (see my oven cleaning thread lol) will burn a few calories (pardon the pun!)

holly35 said:
Good Luck!!
Thanks! Hopefully we'll all succed

Soldato
It's not really a diet, but i want to eat more healthily and join the gym and start swimming again. I want to do all that i'm just not pushing myself to at present cause i just don't have the time. If i keep up doing nothing though i probably will gain weight :p.

All this dieting annoys me though, "Atkins diet", "GI diet", "only eat food while up-side-down on your head diet", theyre all useless, by cutting out stuff in your diet you make something forbidden and thus give it more status and that makes you want it more. Eat what you want when you want, just remember not to over indulge and eat sensibly, and most of all excercise is obviously the key, just burning more calories than you eat.

Paul mckenna had a really good show on a few nights, or weeks ago about diets, it was very interesting :).

Anyhoos keep up the good work all involved.

Soldato
Week 3 weigh in: Lost 4lbs in total so far.

Not bad, but could be better. I am doing plenty of cardio & free weights, so I think that I still eat oversized portions for my evening meals. I'm going to reduce my plate size so I can't dish out as much. Food intake through the day is fine because I eat a healthy breakfast, make my own lunch (today it's cous cous), snack on fruit and raw veg and drink lots of water & maybe 1-2 cups of green/lemon tea.

It was this slow last time, and I was 3 stone heavier then. Makes it doubley hard now that I'm lighter. I really don't shift weight easily :( But I'm not going on a fad diet, because it won't achieve anything for me.

Good luck to everyone else with their Monday weigh ins.

Oh, and my thighs are still killing me :(

Soldato
I'm by no means really overweight but I do have an ideal weight that I'd like to reach. Since Christmas I've been trying to cut from 14 stone to around 12.5 stone (I'm 6'2"). I'm back at the gym near my uni 3 times a week and have started increasing my running distance each day, and am now up to 6km. On days where I am not at uni I'm doing HIIT in a field close by for about 20 minutes. Played a football match at the weekend and am playing another next weekend so hopefully that will aid my loss. I also walk from Waterloo to Euston and back around 3 times a week as I'm too cheap to pay for the tube :p

At 01/01/06 I was 14 stone.
Today 23/01/06 I am 13 stone 4 lbs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Monday Morning Weight in !!

Starting Weight : 8st 10lbs
Target Weight : 7st 7lbs
Current Weight : 8st 7.5lbs

Total weight loss since 1/1/06 : 2.5lbs :(

I had a big meal yesterday with dessert and everything so I blame that .. Will hopefully drop a bit next monday *sigh*

Soldato
OP
OOooo monday morning weigh ins are a good idea :)

I'm a bit of a scale complusive when I'm dieting and weigh everyday although I am aware of natural fluctuations ;)

I'm down 2lbs since this thread was started and 12lbs since 12/1/06 :)

Low carbing works fast but I don't recommend it, despite good results it does have some unpleasent but tolerable side effects. Can't wait to drop these other few lbs, up my complex carbs and get back in the gym, only another 12lbs to go before then :)

MB

Soldato
Piggymon said:
Thanks SB :)

It's just all so frustrating :/

Dont let it get to you, I know its lame but you have to keep a positive attitude. :)

It might be harder for you to lose weight, because looking at your pics, theres not that much to lose TBH, you prob just need to tone up rather than lose anymore weight... but when you take a look at yourself in the mirror in a couple of weeks time, and you spot a difference, trust me, all it does is spur you on even more :D

Man of Honour
Hey guys and well done to all of you so far...

I'm starting today and wan't to lose at least 3 stone by june...
I hate winters. lost 2 1/2 stone last summer and put it all back on and more...

I'm having trouble with my eating habbits, home is fine but what the hell do you guys take to work?

I start at 7:15am so don't have time for breakfust at home. So any ideas for breakfast and lunch would be good..

Soldato
OP
LeperousDust said:
It's not really a diet, but i want to eat more healthily and join the gym and start swimming again. I want to do all that i'm just not pushing myself to at present cause i just don't have the time. If i keep up doing nothing though i probably will gain weight :p.

All this dieting annoys me though, "Atkins diet", "GI diet", "only eat food while up-side-down on your head diet", theyre all useless, by cutting out stuff in your diet you make something forbidden and thus give it more status and that makes you want it more. Eat what you want when you want, just remember not to over indulge and eat sensibly, and most of all excercise is obviously the key, just burning more calories than you eat.

Paul mckenna had a really good show on a few nights, or weeks ago about diets, it was very interesting :).

Anyhoos keep up the good work all involved.

Thanks for your input, I did ask in the first post for people please not to be rude about other peoples diet plans, maybe you missed that bit. I agree with you that in the main that a lifestyle change is preferable to fad dieting but some people need the comfort of a diet plan so they can enter in to a regime, if you told me that I could 'eat what I like, just less' it just wouldn't work. A diet plan gives me the rigid guidelines I need to keep on track.

However I disagree with your implication that diets like GI and Atkins are all bunk, they aren't. GI is based on blood sugur and insulin levels which do effect fat accumulation and Atkins works too, but as I said in a previous post I don't recommend it because of the side effects. Lets not turn this into a debate though this is a supportive thread not a discussion, you can do that in SC or SA.

MB

Man of Honour
Matblack said:
OOooo monday morning weigh ins are a good idea :)

I'm a bit of a scale complusive when I'm dieting and weigh everyday although I am aware of natural fluctuations ;)

I'm down 2lbs since this thread was started and 12lbs since 12/1/06 :)

Low carbing works fast but I don't recommend it, despite good results it does have some unpleasent but tolerable side effects. Can't wait to drop these other few lbs, up my complex carbs and get back in the gym, only another 12lbs to go before then :)

MB

Well done mate - keep up the good work - 2lbs a week is a safe bet to keep it off.

I’m not sure about low carb diets. Not long term anyway but then I’m no dietician but did study it for while back..

Remember that fat contains 9colories of per g whereas carbs (Complex) and protein both contain 4calories per gram. Remember too, that the body doesn’t store Protein either, so too much is disposed of or worse, turned to fat. I stuck to a diet of 15/20/65 meaning 15% of my daily calories were Fat, 25% of my daily calorie intake was Protein and 65% was complex carbs.worked well along side my training regime.

There is no quick way to loose weight safely. Calorie deficit is the only way to reduce the pounds but doing in a way then is safe and long term is just as important. 2-3Lbs is a good weekly weight lose.

Lokstat – well impressive pictures :)

Soldato
OP
Mr Huddy said:
Well done mate - keep up the good work - 2lbs a week is a safe bet to keep it off.

I’m not sure about low carb diets. Not long term anyway but then I’m no dietician but did study it for while back..

Remember that fat contains 9colories of per g whereas carbs (Complex) and protein both contain 4calories per gram. Remember too, that the body doesn’t store Protein either, so too much is disposed of or worse, turned to fat. I stuck to a diet of 15/20/65 meaning 15% of my daily calories were Fat, 25% of my daily calorie intake was Protein and 65% was complex carbs.worked well along side my training regime.

There is no quick way to loose weight safely. Calorie deficit is the only way to reduce the pounds but doing in a way then is safe and long term is just as important. 2-3Lbs is a good weekly weight lose.

Lokstat – well impressive pictures :)

As I said I really don't want to turn this in to a thread about the ins and outs of diets, its just for support, if we want to discuss the workings of Low Carb or Eating Dust or Purge and Splurge it needs to be done in SA or SC not here, thats not my decision, it came from above and I have been told if the thread goes that way it will be moved to SA :(.

Personally I'll be moving to a complex carb low/ fat diet soon, but I know what I need to do. As I also said I'm not going to pimp low carbing in fact quite the opposite, I did an awful lot of reading before I embarked on this last time and I do have a good understanding of weight loss :)

Its great to have your support though, don't think I'm being nasty I just want to keep this is GD where more people can benefit from it :)

MB

Permabanned
Firstly, well done to MatBlack for excellent thread idea and to everyone who's making the effort.

Small losses no matter how small, are all in the right direction.

I started my healthy eating routine back in October, along with excercising again. It was quite difficult for me to get back in to the swing of things, but now it's become part of the routine.
I don't not go to the gym - I never like the "pretty people" that go there. So I set up the weight bench in the spare bedroom along with the rowing machine. I was doing weights twice a week at first but since I used to lift weights a few years ago, I found that muscle memory is quite amazing. So now I can only lift weights every 4/5 days (it taking longer to recover). And I use the rowing machine twice a week while I watch TV :).

I have to fit all this around work and looking after my son (on the days/nights he's here) so I'm quite please that I have stuck with it.

My reasoning for this was to be able to put myself back on the market (so to speak) :p At this moment in time I don't think any woman would be interested in this 30 something bloke.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Soldato
Mr Huddy said:

Low carb diets work well for a number of reasons. Firstly eating higher quantities of protein/fat acts as a hunger suppressant. Secondly, and much more importantly, low carb diets control your blood sugar level.

A lot of people are highly insulin sensitive and store carbs as fat like there is no tomorrow. When you eat carbohydrates your blood sugar level spikes and your body goes in to "fat storage" mode.

Atkins is not the best example of a carb-controlled diet out there. Cycling your carbs is much more effective. In such diets you have "carb-up" days to replenish your glycogen stores and to keep your metabolism up to par.

I agree that they should not be used long term but for fat loss they are fantastic. Carb controlled diets are certainly not fad diets. They have been used by bodybuilders for decades. Such diets are not for everyone and at the end of the day it is still down to calories in/calories out. But a lot people (especially those who are insulin sensitive) will find the whole process far easier by controlling their carbohydrate intake.

Associate
Well after my wokrout last night, i woke up to a nice flat toned tummy this morning! I weighed myself but no luck!
Starting Weight:10'4
Target Weight:9'7
Current Weight:10'4!

For Breakfast this morning I Had:
2 wheatabix
1 slice of Wholemeal bread with extra light Philadelphia
glass of orange juice, cup of green tea, and water.
1 banana!

Back
Top Bottom