**OcUK Extreme Haswell bundle - A review!**

Associate
I may be in the position of buying one of these bundles in a month, im a networking student who has to use oracle VM at home, nothing fancy just normally one server and one client has anyone tried oracle or something similar on these?

Soldato
OP
Hi Fred,

Glad your sorted :) but I am already on balanced, and mine does not step down. As this is not a fresh install after the change of mobo I may well try setting power plan to high performance and then re set to balanced and see if that does it. Might try the backup bios if not. Which bios are you running the standard or X bios?

Edit - have now solved half the problem by re setting power plan - cpu now steps down to 800Mghz at idle as it should, but the v core stays at 1.31 the overclock voltage. Anyone know how to get the voltage to step down?
Have tried enabling c states, but no go?????

Mark

To get voltage to drop you need to set the voltage as offset rather then a static voltage, iirc you find the vid value then set +/- of that for the desired voltage, it should then raise and lower with speedstep.

I may be in the position of buying one of these bundles in a month, im a networking student who has to use oracle VM at home, nothing fancy just normally one server and one client has anyone tried oracle or something similar on these?

Depends how many threads and how much memory the vm requires, I'd say you'll be fine but I see most wanting to run vms getting recommend x79 due to more threads and higher memory bandwidth.

Associate
The VM's only use 1 to 2 gb each I would get the 16gb ram upgrade, when I say I need it for vm machines its not like im running a huge network as im only learning its just for college practise and work at home.

its will be 75 percent gaming and 25 percent shall we say vm homework lol hows your gaming at your clocks pgi?

Soldato
OP
In that case it will be fine I would think :)

Using the ocuk profile for gaming, my bench profile is on the x02 bios (other switch for minimal hassle) which is set at 5.1ghz and depending which sticks are in 2400 c8 or 2600 c10, but I'm still working on the memory.

About to rebuild for new project too so I can start to torture this phantom soon too :D

Soldato
To get voltage to drop you need to set the voltage as offset rather then a static voltage, iirc you find the vid value then set +/- of that for the desired voltage, it should then raise and lower with speedstep.

Hi Pgi,

Thanks for that - have checked my vid value which appears to be .8250V, does that seem about right to you - not used to haswell yet lol. Btw have you tried the latest x bios vers X05v2 ? I am using X02 at the moment which was suggested to me by a certain gent at ocers.

Mark

Associate
one thing pgi what cooling do you use I notice on the options it says if you want the block you must have a descent cooling set up I have a OCUK V8 water cooling kit with the blackice sr1 upgrade ( I also replaced the corsair fans with GT 1850 rpm do you think this will suffice as adaquit cooling?)

Soldato
OP
Do you com to Dundee often so I can rob your expertise lol :p

Pass through every now and then, never in Dundee longer then it takes the train to start moving :p

Hi Pgi,

Thanks for that - have checked my vid value which appears to be .8250V, does that seem about right to you - not used to haswell yet lol. Btw have you tried the latest x bios vers X05v2 ? I am using X02 at the moment which was suggested to me by a certain gent at ocers.

Mark

My VID reads out as that too, though I can't be 100% sure its not a defect in coretemp. Try offsetting from that, for example, 1.3v load would be an offset of +0.475 as 1.3 - 0.825 = 0.475

one thing pgi what cooling do you use I notice on the options it says if you want the block you must have a descent cooling set up I have a OCUK V8 water cooling kit with the blackice sr1 upgrade ( I also replaced the corsair fans with GT 1850 rpm do you think this will suffice as adaquit cooling?)

V8 will be fine for this, especially with an SR1 and GT1850's. I'm essentially running the same loop though with a 360 SR1 & vipers & 1100rpm.

Soldato
OP
Be opening the thread shortly while I finalise a few things, like finally finding someone who has stock of the gpu block I need and do I want to put the motherboard under water :D

I've gotten as far as taking the case out of the box for a look then put it back in :o

Soldato
Be opening the thread shortly while I finalise a few things, like finally finding someone who has stock of the gpu block I need and do I want to put the motherboard under water :D

I've gotten as far as taking the case out of the box for a look then put it back in :o

Pull ya finger out :p

Associate
my overclocked build

Zalman Z9 Plus Case
CD/DVD COMBO Drive X2
Corsair TX650 PSU
Corsair H60 Hydro Cooler
Corsair Vegenance 8GB 1600MHZ
HyperX Blu 4GB 1600MHZ
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 (SOCKET AM3+)
AMD FX-8350 (OC'ed to 4.7GHZ Cooled at 14deg idle)
GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 295 1792MB GRAPHICS CARD
Nvidia Geforce 8600GT 1024MB used in PhysX
Hitachi 1TB 7200RPm
640GB Western Digital
120GB Samsung SSD 840

http://imageshack.us/g/1/10367113/ THE ACTUAL BUILD NEW/OLD
http://imageshack.us/g/1/10367110/ MY DELL BTX TO ATX CONVERSION WITH THE SPECS ABOVE!

Associate
Well I am very happy with mine. I wont be stressing mine until christams, when the good ols man above is bringing me a corsair 900d and a new water cooling loop.

I will only be cooling the cpu/motherboard though.

Back
Top Bottom