**OcUK Extreme Haswell bundle - A review!**

Soldato
Just to be clear, this seems like a £200 premium above buying the components yourself? This covers the delidding and guaranteed overclock?

What if I do not like the RAM being used?

Soldato
OP
The premium covers everything from the binning to delidding and everything in between and also has a 2 year warranty, after the two years the chip is out of warranty but you still have another years manufacturers warranty with the motherboard (brand dependant) as well as lifetime warranty on the memory.

As for the ram, scottib has added a few other options since I purchased, but if you don't like any of the options then you'll have to shell out on another kit on top of the bundle. Keep in mind the kit choices ocuk list also have to fit under the air coolers they provided as cooling options, so outside of hyperx and vulcans, I presume the taller kits are a no go.

I have purchased a few kits since I got the bundle, have some 2400 c10 tridentx's that have been sat waiting to go in for a few weeks, pesky work getting in the way.

Soldato
So - your love for Scotti and OCUK aside - would you recommend these with the premium as a sure fire way of winning the silicon lottery and getting at least 4.6GHz?

I could get a 4930k+Forumla for the same price as this bundle with the premium

Are the TeamGroup Vulcan RED 16GB kits ok, as this is the memory option I have chosen

Thanks

:)

P.S. What does binning actually mean? EDIT, NVM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_binning

Soldato
OP
I would, though no harm at all in looking at x79 as an alternative. After seeing some people get dreadful chips from retail this was my only real option

Team group should be fine also :)

Binning processes change from person to person, I belive these chips are the ones that didn't quite tick all the boxes for 8pack so we reap the benefits, iirc he does 4 or 5 tests per chip to determine if it is worth using, if it fails one of these tests (mhz, mem mhz/imc, cold bug, uncore etc..) its no use to him but brilliant for us.

Associate
So - your love for Scotti and OCUK aside - would you recommend these with the premium as a sure fire way of winning the silicon lottery and getting at least 4.6GHz?

I could get a 4930k+Forumla for the same price as this bundle with the premium

Are the TeamGroup Vulcan RED 16GB kits ok, as this is the memory option I have chosen

Thanks

:)

P.S. What does binning actually mean? EDIT, NVM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_binning

I have the team group Red 16gb vs and its fine.

Would I recommend the kit, hell yea, a guaranteed overclock, so you don't have to mess around with bios settings unless you want a higher overclock.
I went with the asus formula board because of the rog branding, and the looks of the board, and at the time I could afford it.

I have already recommended it to several people already

Caporegime
would you recommend these with the premium as a sure fire way of winning the silicon lottery and getting at least 4.6GHz?
At least with theese bundles, your guaranteed a decent chip. I played the silicone lottery, (well bought secondhand on mm). Not a brilliant chip tbh, (1.2625 in bios for 4.5ghz) and scariliy high temps in stress testing. Could get it lower by delidding. Which is done for you on the ocuk bundle.

Soldato
I ended up shopping around for cheapest prices, unfortunatey OcUK didn't get any business from me for my Haswell parts.

If I had known that these were on the horizon, I would have waited for one of these kits, if I had known OcUK was going to be selling them.

I hope this is done with future generation CPU's, I would buy the kit from OcUK gladly paying a premium for it to.

Soldato
At least with theese bundles, your guaranteed a decent chip. I played the silicone lottery, (well bought secondhand on mm). Not a brilliant chip tbh, (1.2625 in bios for 4.5ghz) and scariliy high temps in stress testing. Could get it lower by delidding. Which is done for you on the ocuk bundle.

thats not bad for 4.5, those volts get me about 4.3 :(

Caporegime
Unfortunately Nick, ive had to up vcore a few notches at that speed. Was getting a few 0x124 bsods in the bf4 beta. Tried first raising ioa/d and sa voltages, thought it might have been memory related as i run my sammy greens at 2133mhz. Still got the same error, but upping vcore seems to have helped so far. Idles in windows at 1.264, 1.2800 at load, llc on auto. Temps in game max at 65c under a k2 air cooler, on stress tests it was hitting 94c on the previous voltage, dont run prime any more though.

Last edited:
Associate
I've been using my 4ghz 920 ocuk bundle now for years with no issues, and just purchased one of these bundles for an upgrade.

Delidded + 4.6+ i cant wait to test it out :)

Associate
I have no idea what black magic and virgin sacrifices were made, but I just received my bundle waaaaaaay sooner than expected.
Please excuse me while I clean myself up :)

Back
Top Bottom