** OcUK & GALAX COLLABORATION: INFINITY BECOMES REALITY, THE BEST 970 ON THE MARKET!! **

OcUK Staff
ASIC quality tends to bear little on overclocking.

In my testing higher ASIC quality means it boost higher automatically, so a good ASIC card might boost by itself to say 1420MHz whereas a poorer ASIC quality might boost to around 1365MHz, which is still higher than the speeds we advertise. :)

I've had 65% cards overclock better than 80% cards.............

ASIC tends to reflect the cards core leakage. High leakage tend to run very slightly warmer on air but responds to voltage and cold when overclocking better low ASIC boost less.

High ASIC means higher boost lower heat on air but less response to volts and cold when overclocking.

Associate
Respect! :p That 480 has served you well.

Thanks :) it really has done well, I only game at 1080p so it has managed to keep going for a long time. Pulled the trigger on the Strix 970 since I got it for £243 brand new thanks to where I work :) only problem is that it's my Christmas present so I can't play with it for a weeK :(

Stoner81.

Associate
For those of you thinking if this Card is any good. Out of the box, mine was boosting to 1404mhz.

I've just had a little play with it and archived the following (mild OC).

Core Boost = 1500Mhz
Mem = 1800 (quad rate)
Stock volts
Power Target 110% (this Card will allow 125%)
TDP during testing (as recorded by GPU-Z) 98%
Max temp (with a slightly adjusted Fan curve) 58.

I'm reasonably confident that this Card would match Giibo's 1580Mhz Core but I'll settle with this for now - until the 'How far will it go?' bug hits.

Tested for stability via 2 hr loop of Heaven and I'll Game for a bit with it tonight.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
For those of you thinking if this Card is any good. Out of the box, mine was boosting to 1404mhz.

I've just had a little play with it and archived the following (mild OC).

Core Boost = 1500Mhz
Mem = 1800 (quad rate)
Stock volts
Power Target 110% (this Card will allow 125%)
TDP during testing (as recorded by GPU-Z) 98%
Max temp (with a slightly adjusted Fan curve) 58.

I'm reasonably confident that this Card would match Giibo's 1580Mhz Core but I'll settle with this for now - until the 'How far will it go?' bug hits.

Tested for stability via 2 hr loop of Heaven and I'll Game for a bit with it tonight.

They are superb cars, 1580MHz was the second card I tested, first was around 1620MHz, very good clockers and Samsung memory guaranteed. :)

A lot of other cards are shipping with Hynix now, not sure if it's any worse on the overclocking front but Samsung has better efficiency.

Soldato
Forget benchmarking GPUs (Heaven etc), the real test is if the games that you play like it. You could have one game that's perfect and then another that crashes. I wouldn't read too far into how far a card can be pushed by benching. other than getting a high score.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey Gibbo, I tried the Heaven trick for sorting the coil whine on mine, didnt work...left it for a few hours and the whine is still there.
My PSU is a Leadex 750w Gold. I have tried using the SLI cable that came with the PSU to power the card and also 2 separate cables from the PSU to see if it was that, and its the same story both times. I will try and get a sound clip or video to show....

OcUK Staff
OP
Hey Gibbo, I tried the Heaven trick for sorting the coil whine on mine, didnt work...left it for a few hours and the whine is still there.
My PSU is a Leadex 750w Gold. I have tried using the SLI cable that came with the PSU to power the card and also 2 separate cables from the PSU to see if it was that, and its the same story both times. I will try and get a sound clip or video to show....

No need, if it's the Galax Infinity we guarantee no whine on them under normal conditions, so if it's whining in games we will replace it, no hassle.

Associate
I'm only running 1080p so it should be okay! How quiet has yours been so far? Audible?

Can't find any footage of this specific card :(

Last edited:
Associate
Arrived today, building it in work. Inserted 8GB Avexir 2.1Ghz RAM.

Getting some random blue screens, running a stock speed 4670k on a Ranger VII motherboard. Gonna have a bit of a search to find out what's causing it.

Last edited:
Associate
Got it home, played a bunch of games. Seems fine now!

I'm guessing it was drivers or something, runs amazingly but I was on a 560ti before this.

Was scoring 1900 in Unigine now at 4100, 1080p ultra.

Frame rate has seen triple improvement so I'm super happy. YAAAAAAAAAY

Soldato

I'm getting coil whine too, this is my second Infinity card running via a Supeflower 1000w Platinum PSU. Tried all what Gibbo suggested in the customer service section but it's still happening. The games I'm playing are World of Warcraft (maxed out), Dead Space 1/2, Hitman Absolution. WoW is quite bad, when you're in open world and turning around, you can hear the frequency of the cards whining/buzzing, same going for Dead Space. It sounds like a bee hive, that's how I can describe it.

I'm going to give this new card a good bedding in over the next week and see if it disappears, but as it stands, my two cards, even though I'm using a top spec PSU via separate rails (also bought from OcUK), haven't delivered a whine free experience.

I'll also upload a video of what I'm experiencing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm getting coil whine too, this is my second Infinity card running via a Supeflower 1000w Platinum PSU. Tried all what Gibbo suggested in the customer service section but it's still happening. The games I'm playing are World of Warcraft (maxed out), Dead Space 1/2, Hitman Absolution. WoW is quite bad, when you're in open world and turning around, you can hear the frequency of the cards whining/buzzing, same going for Dead Space. It sounds like a bee hive, that's how I can describe it.

I'm going to give this new card a good bedding in over the next week and see if it disappears, but as it stands, my two cards, even though I'm using a top spec PSU via separate rails (also bought from OcUK), haven't delivered a whine free experience.

I'll also upload a video of what I'm experiencing.

Yeah I had a similar issue, was worse whine than the Strix it replaced! They have now RMA'd my PSU as that may have been causing it. Will wait for the replacement then post an update. Meanwhile on my backup fractal, the whine is worse so may be PSU related? I don't know!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom