OcUK Health Seekers: Post your progress pics

Man of Honour
Partially as well as higher insulin resisitivity (the lower the better).

I ask because I've had some significant fat there for as long as I can remember, despite being something of an ectomorph. I looked up water retention last night on that Wikipedia, but it didn't give much of relevance. From what I read, the only possible explanation (if it is water retention) is that I don't drink enough fluid...does that sound right?

I have wide shoulders and a big chest, for my body type, and starting from the arm pits at the sides I have that sort of tapering inwards that most men with defined figures & low fat have, but when it moves down to roughly where the bottom of my rib cage is, it starts to taper outwards such that there's a sort of crescent shape between the rib cage and my waist.

Regarding insulin resistivity, I don't know what it is but I've heard of the connection between insulin and diabetes. I was tested a few months ago for diabetes, and fortunately I don't have it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice work runnig.man and Dun!

Just a few pics: Not much progress but how can I improve my lats because my back sucks, especially my lats after seeing the last two pics. Also excuse the hair, that's not normal :D

img4258u.jpg

img4259.jpg

dun

dun

Soldato
How heavy/ tall are you mate? Looking thick in that back pick. For me lats took a while to be able to feel and I couldn't flex them for toffee. But once I started wide grip pullups/ pull downs I began to feel the muscle and be able to control it more. I really try to concentrate on the squeeze, feeling both of the lats and making them contract every rep, not just pulling the weight with what ever muscle thinks it can do it best like biceps etc. This means after a while you get a much stronger connection between what you are intending to do and what your muscle is actually doing.

Man of Honour
OP
I ask because I've had some significant fat there for as long as I can remember, despite being something of an ectomorph. I looked up water retention last night on that Wikipedia, but it didn't give much of relevance. From what I read, the only possible explanation (if it is water retention) is that I don't drink enough fluid...does that sound right?

I have wide shoulders and a big chest, for my body type, and starting from the arm pits at the sides I have that sort of tapering inwards that most men with defined figures & low fat have, but when it moves down to roughly where the bottom of my rib cage is, it starts to taper outwards such that there's a sort of crescent shape between the rib cage and my waist.

Regarding insulin resistivity, I don't know what it is but I've heard of the connection between insulin and diabetes. I was tested a few months ago for diabetes, and fortunately I don't have it.

Your insulin resistivity doesn't reflect having diabetes, some people are more or less insulin resisitive, you can improve it as part of the diet. Other areas that cause fat storage are high levels of oestrogen and cortisol, cortisol normally manifests itself below the belly button area, oestrogen in the thighs and chest/back area.

Unfortunately you can't spot reduce fat, however you can reduce cortisol levels and you can improve your insulin resistivity.

There's lots of info out there on how to do the above here's one quick tip with the use of Cinnamon!

Cinnamon is an amazing spice that should be used whenever you can. It’s a natural sweetener and so can be used in place of sugar, e.g. in porridge, in coffee etc etc.

* Moderates blood sugar levels, which is imperative in trying to reduce body fat.
o Cinnamon contains phytochemicals called ‘chalcone polymers’ that increase glucose metabolism more than 20 times the normal rate.
o These ‘chalcone polymers’ are also powerful antioxidants.
* Appears to mimic insulin thus increasing glucose uptake by cells.
* Cinnamon’s water-soluble active ingredient is called ‘cinnulin’.
o Cinnulin rebuilds the insulin receptor sites thus making you more insulin sensitive.
* Recent research has shown that cinnamon reduced triglycerides, total cholesterol and LDL (bad) cholesterol in people with Type II Diabetes.
o People with both Type I & II Diabetes would benefit from cinnamon’s effects.
* Cinnamon also contains anthocyanins, which improve capillary function.
* It can help combat candida through the use of it’s eugenol & geraniol phytochemicals; this likely due to antimicrobacterial properties of the aforementioned compounds.
* Cinnamon also contains anti-inflammatory compounds that may be helpful in reducing pain and stiffness of muscles, joints, and menstrual discomfort.
* Improves digestive function by acting as a carminative (a “gas reliever”).
* Cinnamon contains catechins that help relieve nausea.
* Cinnamon also appears to improve appetite.

The “Cinnamon Stick Fat Loss Trick”

1. Depending on the size, take 2-3 cinnamon sticks (or some powder) and break them into a large glass jug.
2. Fill the jug with boiling water, cover and leave to steep.
3. Once cooled (warm is ok) strain the liquid, discarding the solids, and store in the fridge.
4. Drink a small glass (~250ml) with each meal; up to four per day. After one to three weeks reduce intake to just one cup per day.

This is a very cheap way to help lose excess fat as it very quickly improves your body’s insulin receptor sites.

Man of Honour
Thanks very much for your help & advice. I like the flavour of cinnamon, so this will be easy for me. I drink a lot of tea, normally without sugar but I'll start adding a pinch to each cup as though it were sugar. I'll also try the stick trick, but with powder initially as I have lots of it in the cupboard.

Most of my fat seems to be on the sides plus a bit on the belly, although the latter isn't really noticeable when I stand straight.

Man of Honour
OP
The way I seem to gain is I'll bang 1-1.5kg relatively quickly and go a tiny bit soft, then over the following weeks I grow into it and get leaner then the same thing happens again. That's why I try not to look at the scales 24/7 as they may not change for a while as I fill in. At the moment I'm about in the middle. Oh and about 6ft mate.

It's a good way of doing it. You're about the same height as me, though I'm just shy of 6'1" (though weighed in at 101.3kg this morning, but that varies by 2kg almost daily!).

I'm a bit soft at the moment and should probably shed a bit of BF, but I'm looking quite powerful and my strength is up considerably, I'm around 14% at the moment.

Amadman good definition there, good base to work from. Your frame looks slim though but that might just be the pic, which means you have to pack on some decent bulk to look "big", however you're in a great condition. :)

Soldato
Dun: I'll try that, pullups never seem to work for me because i'm quite light and small (about 64kg and 5'7). I do the lat pull down quite a lot though so i'll try what you said.

Freefaller: I am slim, and being half Thai means I have crap genetics to get big too :D Check out this old pic from a few years back on a lads holiday for a comparison (check out the bling.. haha oh dear).

picture008o.jpg

Associate
Freefaller: I am slim, and being half Thai means I have crap genetics to get big too Check out this old pic from a few years back on a lads holiday for a comparison (check out the bling.. haha oh dear).

didnt stop bruce lee ;)

if anything being slim means you can increase muscle mass and get more out of the muscles without going to overwieght, while being fatter means you need to burn fat off just to be able to see the muscles then having to wrk on each muscel group.

remember:

you can have good muscles but if you not doing enough CV work the fat layer on top of the muscles will hide it all.

keep the CV work high and you will SEE MASSIVE looks wise in the body shape.

Man of Honour
OP
Bruce Lee wasn't big, he just had very low BF. :) Having low BF is the only way you can see good definition, however if you do not have the muscle mass in the first place you just look skinny and horrible with very little shape. Also increasing muscle mass increases your metabolic rate and your thermogenic capacity resulting in more fat being lost/utilised by just being alive.

dun

dun

Soldato
FF: Got any recent pics mate. 100kg is quite a way off for me currently but it would be good to see at a similar height how you are looking.

AmDaMan: Big improvement there mate. Don't worry too much about genetics, the harder you work the better they get :p

Associate
Thank you for your reply and kind comments Freefaller :D

I Really started to train hard and change all my diet in October 08 i was training a bit before then but my diet was really poor so poor that when i was ill with gallstones the hospital put it down to all my diet and what i used to eat before so i started eating more healthy food and trained harder from October 08 and the after photo was taken on 11th march.

And yes i also worked my Legs :D

Thanks ^TANK^ and AmDaMan for your comments

Thanks for your comment to Vegeta and i did add some bulk first yes ;)

Thanks for all your reply's :D

dun

dun

Soldato
I thought I had commented on you running.man but apparently not, great transformation, looking much better and bigger. What was the weight change? I must say though the first thing I thought was "what's with the trousers" :p

Associate
Cinnamon Stuff

That's excellent, in all the time I've spent educating myself about nutrition I've never read that!

I'm extremely carb/insulin sensitive, I have had amazing results from ketosis/carb cycling but struggle because of the choices in every day life. I'll give this a try though :).

kai

kai

Soldato
Right my first post here, was not sure if i should make a new thread however ill try here first.

Ive just joined a gym, im a total newbie but want to (not gain weight) make myself more cutt. My diet is fairly ok, although it could be a lot better i suppose. Basically i am looking at some weight sessions, would supplements help me cutt? and any recommandations?

dun

dun

Soldato
Right my first post here, was not sure if i should make a new thread however ill try here first.

Ive just joined a gym, im a total newbie but want to (not gain weight) make myself more cutt. My diet is fairly ok, although it could be a lot better i suppose. Basically i am looking at some weight sessions, would supplements help me cutt? and any recommandations?

Have a read through the sticky, if you still need info make a thread mate :)

Man of Honour
OP
FF: Got any recent pics mate. 100kg is quite a way off for me currently but it would be good to see at a similar height how you are looking.

Took a couple of pics over the last couple of days with the phone, not great quality.

Current stats are:

Weight 222lbs
Height just shy of 6'1"
Chest ~47.5"
Upper Arm ~17.5"
Waist ~34"
Thigh ~27"
Neck ~18"

And here are some crappy photos - lost my cable for my digi camera I'm afraid:

front2cne.jpg

front1e.jpg

back3y.jpg

back2dfm.jpg

back1u.jpg

Yes I have a couple of spots on my back, no I'm not doing any illegal substances.

Back
Top Bottom