OcUK Minecraft Server - Rules & Chat

Soldato
SERVER IP: linktart.co.uk

http://isminecraftdown.net/ Made by WedTM so people would stop ######### in #minecraft

Main Minecraft thread http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18020251

Official OcUK Minecraft Website http://ocukmc.co.uk

Minecraft multiplayer servers info below

Name OcUK Members Server (hosted by Linktart)
Game Minecraft (Beta 1.3)
Max Players 24
Address linktart.co.uk

IRC Web Chat
http://webchat.quakenet.org/
Name: Your Name
channel: #linktart

Mumble Voice Chat
Download Mumble http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
IP:195.90.99.195 - Port: 54942
Pass: ocuk
Name: Your Name

Wanting to upload pictures to show off your work use this:

http://www.goberpiles.com/minecraft/imageupload/

Donating towards Server Costs

Nobody is required to donate towards the cost of hosting the server, however donations are gratefully accepted. All donations will be put towards upgrading the LinkTart dedicated box.

Whitelist Policy

To join the server you have to be on the whitelist.

Step 1. To join the whitelist, register on www.linktart.co.uk

Step 2. Wait for your approval to come through in Email and activate your Linktart account

Step 3. Navigate to Groups -> Minecraft -> Minecraft Server -> Register

Step 4. Enter your Minecraft username (case-sensitive) and await Admin approval

New Server rules

1. The server operates a whitelist policy. To be placed on the whitelist, you have to have been a member of OcUK Forums for a reasonable amount of time (reasonable being at my discretion) OR be a friend of an existing player who can vouch for you. Please post your Minecraft name and the OcUK name of your sponsor (if applicable) in the thread and you'll be added when possible.

2. Players are expected to use COMMON SENSE when playing! This includes not building right next to somebody's building without asking, building something massive and dwarfing someone else's building without asking, generally peeing off other players. If I have to get involved in player disputes, my decision is final and if both players can't use their common sense it's likely that both parties will be suspended!

3. FIRE and the use of Flint/TNT is allowed on the server, however Rule 2 (Common Sense) applies. There have been a number of burning incidents where players have "accidentally" selected flint and burnt down half the forest and several buildings because they set a fire. If players cannot use Fire/TNT responsibly then the usage of these will be REMOVED from the server and the guilty parties suspended/banned as applicable.

4. If players are found to be griefing (intentionally damaging other players property) then a permanent ban will be handed out, the same applies from stealing from players chests.

5. To Reserve a space of land, place a sign and clearly mark the extents of the area you require and the date you claimed it. Again, common sense applies with regards to what you are building and where in relation to other players. If you are planning a big build, discuss this with other players on the server before commencing work!

6. Sky Bridges... Nobody likes seeing random one block wide bridges running everywhere. If you need to make a bridge/lift like that then remove it once you have made it. Don't make a tower of dirt to climb up a building then just leave it behind you! If you are making an actual bridge for rail/walking then this has to be at least 3 blocks wide and have supports so it doesn't look daft.

7. Building in Spawn is restricted and unless you have permission from me then don't build there or touch any buildings! Building outside of the spawn walls is allowed but again, use your common sense. We don't want massive buildings dwarfing the area around spawn so please keep any buildings there within reason. Otherwise they will be moved to an area further out.

8. No hacking of the game, this includes item duping or any other form of hacking. Please note that the FlyMod is considered a hack so do NOT use it! I also ask players not to use transparent texture packs as I believe them to be against the spirit of the game.

9. No mob spawner traps are allowed, they take up far too much room, are ugly if built at surface level and there are already multiples one available for use including my own personal one!

10. If you do not like somebody's building do NOT take it upon your shoulders to destroy/grief it, I take a dim view of this and you won't like me when I'm angry! If you have to, speak to the owner and sort it out between yourselves and involve me only if nessecary. To this end SIGNS MUST BE DISPLAYED CLEARLY SHOWING WHO BUILT THE PROPERTY and these must not be messed with by anyone.

11. If community mining/exploring all goods should be shared equally between players involved unless a direct agreement with those players is in place at the start.

12. HOMOPHOBIC/RACIST/SEXIST COMMENTS ARE NOT WELCOME ON THE SERVER. WHAT MAY BE HARMLESS BANTER TO YOU MAY WELL NOT BE FOR OTHER PLAYERS. PLAYERS BREAKING THIS RULE WILL BE SUSPENDED IN THE FIRST INSTANCE AND BANNED ON THE SECOND. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

13. ADMIN DECISIONS ARE FINAL - IF PLAYERS BREAK THESE RULES THEN SUSPENSIONS/BANS WILL BE HANDED OUT AS REQUIRED!

Warning : Every move you make on this server is logged I will name & shame you if I have the proof.

Useful Commands

/tpc
/bb here
/home set (to set your home location)
/who (playerlist)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
UPDATE SECTION:

We have now switched to the Linktart Dedicated Server, many thanks to FrenchTart for his hours of hard work in setting it all up and copying the world across.

Linktart is running Minecraft beta 1.3 and Craftbukkit with several plugins

Last edited:
Soldato
hello to the first day of the rest of your life.

i'd like to apologise somewhat for my behaviour this morning and offer what blocks i have in my inventory ( those that were stored there whilst rebuilding spawn) to those affected by my rash decision, however, however rash it may have been it does not excuse the fact that people simply can not follow clear rules and guidelines, spawn was not to build on willy nilly, there were clearly designated plots (both in-game and in the old thread) that had just been ignored and regardless of the sign posts used, the bank building was clearly designated bank, the spawn hall likewise as well as the server shop (run by aypez) and the station (the building of which has been completed and looks very good, in keeping with the rest of spawn.) and the community build area, i made it clear that this area was for approved projects only, people who came with useful ideas (ie not carbon copy shops) were to be given space to build them, hence why tefal got a plot (server shop was for materials, tefals was for pre-made objects). if you wanted to build there you should have asked.

to the person who mentioned my 'period'; yes i was very angry that someone had led a creeper to the entrance to the mine i was using for spawn materials, but i've been in the thread every day since posting and commenting, there was plenty of opportunity to ask for spawn building permission, unlike some i don't have the ability to spend my entire day on the server babysitting and so i used what little time i've had this past week (if you'd bothered to read my posts detailing what needed doing in spawn whilst i was away (for reasons which i mentioned) you would have seen this) to try and keep some small online presence and connection to the community in a meaningful way by at least having some involvement on here. perhaps now instead of complaining about me having a moan about my stuff being destroyed (stuff which wasn't even for me) you'll understand,.

try and see it from my perspective, i spent a lot of time just planning the spawn let alone the time i spent putting it in to place along with the help of a few others, twice i've had the time i put in wasted by people who have a disregard for what other people have spent there time doing. i think i share tefals pain somewhat, both of us had grand ideas and marked of the space to do them, others have disrespected this (despite how spacious the world is) to build whatever the heck they want right where we asked them not to.

Last edited:
Soldato
IMO the main thing that needs fixing is the spawn lag. Good luck with that.

After that, maybe start looking at getting some of the mods to work properly (iConomy, bbhere, Minecart Mania (I know this is due an update) etc).

:)

Associate
Garsands, does that mean you can/will actually play the game with us? Great work you've done over 3 months & you should be proud!

But now (maybe after a break!) you can enjoy the game properly! :p

Soldato
OP
ok, been pondering what to do about the spawn lag. It's almost certainly to do with the vault area and the voids around it. What I'm proposing to do is remove the vaults and remake them elsewhere on groundlevel as a building players can enter. This can then be clad in blocks to make it look all pretty. This can either be in spawn or slightly off from spawn with a clear safe path to it (tunnel or just well constructed walled path).

Otherwise it may take some time to try and track down exactly where the lag is coming from!

Opinions?

Soldato
am i the only one who doesn't get lag at spawn?

am i missing something or can you not just fill the voids around it? surely it should behave like any other large and spacious building?

Last edited:
Permabanned
ok, been pondering what to do about the spawn lag. It's almost certainly to do with the vault area and the voids around it. What I'm proposing to do is remove the vaults and remake them elsewhere on groundlevel as a building players can enter. This can then be clad in blocks to make it look all pretty. This can either be in spawn or slightly off from spawn with a clear safe path to it (tunnel or just well constructed walled path).

Otherwise it may take some time to try and track down exactly where the lag is coming from!

Opinions?

yes i'm in favour of this.

also, i fell through a hole in the stone blocks at spawn the other day and found a clear void of about 3 blocks high just under the floor near tefal's shop.

Permabanned
it could i suppose but i was half dead and just put torches in then popped a stone step-lid on it.

i noticed the vaults were full of mobs though, inside each vault i passed i heard a mob thrashing about inside.

i just stuck torches up (more torches) and left.

i think if the vaults are going to be done again i'd suggest using light/glowstone as ceilings in each one, a cuboid command would do that in seconds.

if anyone wants i can go onto my own server, knock up a sample vault and upload the map files for it? then it's just copy and paste... i think?

Associate
I don't think they should be on the surface at spawn to be honest.. They take up a LOT of space..

Perhaps smaller vaults would work, or they could just be moved miles away where nobody will ever really walk, with a /warp vaults command to send you to them. And then /spawn or /home to get back.

Edit: I'm not sure how well modifying the existing vaults will work. I don't think we know if it is actual mob numbers (why don't mob spawners cause lag) or if it's the spawning code checking hundreds of empty blocks for light levels/ground to see whether it can spawn or not. In which case modifying the vaults would make no difference.

1 vote here for moving them far,far away.

Last edited:
Associate

Opinions?

I was with garsands during the creation of the vaults and got to see what the problems were. The primary problem and cause of the lag is nothing to do with the vaults per se, the problem stems from the vault areas not being lit up and endlessly spawning mobs, this caused the lag first time around. The reason for the current lag is that the vaults have been duplicated twice over below the current set of vaults but as far as I'm aware this is a work in progress and as such has yet to be lit/cleared of mobs hence the lag.
The more people in the area the more mobs spawn and it quickly degrades as a result.

Unfortunately making and setting up the vaults is incredibly time consuming, few appreciate just how long gars worked on their creation. The design is sound and not a source of lag, the work just needs completed which was ongoing at the time, unfortunately the complaints and lag at spawn was getting too much.

These vaults are well thought out and well constructed, it would be a great shame to abandon this, rather it would be nicer to complete them. The reason for the extra floors of vaults below was to have another set in advance as the server popularity was growing and vaults would soon run out.

tl;dr

Lag due to mobs in dark inaccessible vault areas, not the vaults themselves.

Associate
I don't think we know if it is actual mob numbers (why don't mob spawners cause lag) or if it's the spawning code checking hundreds of empty blocks for light levels/ground to see whether it can spawn or not.

We know from our experience of the initial vaults creation, once gars wiped put the mobs in a sea of lava the lag was gone and stayed gone.

Back
Top Bottom