• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Official Geforce Titan review thread

From Anand, interesting:

"On Tuesday we discussed how Titan reintroduces overvolting for NVIDIA products, but now with additional details from NVIDIA along with our own performance data we have the complete picture, and overclockers will want to pay close attention. NVIDIA may be reintroducing overvolting, but it may not be quite what many of us were first thinking.

First and foremost, Titan still has a hard TDP limit, just like GTX 680 cards. Titan cannot and will not cross this limit, as it’s built into the firmware of the card and essentially enforced by NVIDIA through their agreements with their partners. This TDP limit is 106% of Titan’s base TDP of 250W, or 265W. No matter what you throw at Titan or how you cool it, it will not let itself pull more than 265W sustained."

"Second, let’s talk about overvolting. What we didn’t realize on Tuesday but realize now is that overvolting as implemented in Titan is not overvolting in the traditional sense, and practically speaking I doubt too many hardcore overclockers will even recognize it as overvolting. What we mean by this is that overvolting was not implemented as a direct control system as it was on past generation cards, or even the NVIDIA-nixed cards like the MSI Lightning or EVGA Classified.

Overvolting is instead a set of two additional turbo clock bins, above and beyond Titan’s default top bin. On our sample the top bin is 1.625v, which corresponds to a 992MHz core clock. Overvolting Titan to 1.2 means unlocking two more bins: 1006MHz @ 1.175v, and 1019MHz @ 1.2v. Or put another way, overvolting on Titan involves unlocking only another 27MHz in performance."

The rumours thread has gone to **** again but on a personal level I don't think the performance increase is really that good across triple screens considering the jump from a 256 bit bus to a 384 bit bus.

Just had a quick scan through the TechPowerUp SLI review and at 5760*1080 its average over my existing 7970's is around 30%, although this varies a lot game to game with some gaining virtually nothing while others close to double the performance.

Quite handy that they ran it on a 3820 @4.3, exactly what I'm running, although for some reason they didn't use a quad channel memory configuration :confused:

Given the wide variation in results I expect like the 7970 the Titan may gain significantly as drivers develop. At this stage I think I'll be sticking with my 7970's, at least until prices come down to more sensible levels.

From the HWcanucks:

gtxtitan2.jpg

it's probably worth having a new thread. this is the one where actual facts go!

so the reviewers used stock 7970 ghz editions (1050mhz boost)? so from what i gather for 1/4 of the price you can overclock an hd 7950 and get ~75-80% of the performance from preliminary readings of the reviews . it would be a fair but still hefty premium to price it at £650 imo, and even then only if they kept releasing cards of this relative power in consequent generations. by the looks of it this card is going to lose over half its value come next gen, and there'll be nothing to replace it... fair play to anyone getting it but i've defo lost interest.

will say one positive thing: power consumption is pretty damn good. great for bitcoin mining (do people still do that?) and folding and other gpgpu applications (i guess?)

Judgung by the Hexus review, I am somewhat dissapointed by the triple screen performance results.

In most cases (barring Sleeping Dogs and Dirt 3) it is around 10fps faster than a HD7970Ghz edition. Perhaps I was expecting too much, especially considering the price, but then maybe my expectations were too high?

The power consumption and noise levels are fantastic though.

Factoring in the cost I would rather turn a couple settings down on the AMD card (well that's actually what I do).

As an aside, considering the performance difference between Titan and the HD7970Ghz, I am left wondering whether AMD could counter with a cherry picked HD7970 "Uber OC" style card? Clocked at around 1300/7000 it could put up a good fight.

Completely pointless product at its current price.

Agreed, Im trying to find a reason behind it. With other products on the market, Sli configs, Xfire configs, Even the dual GPU cards. This product has no place other then nvidias marketing of having the fastest single GPU. Stood next to the price and the lack of gain from the card it seems pointless

From Anand, interesting:

"On Tuesday we discussed how Titan reintroduces overvolting for NVIDIA products, but now with additional details from NVIDIA along with our own performance data we have the complete picture, and overclockers will want to pay close attention. NVIDIA may be reintroducing overvolting, but it may not be quite what many of us were first thinking.

First and foremost, Titan still has a hard TDP limit, just like GTX 680 cards. Titan cannot and will not cross this limit, as it’s built into the firmware of the card and essentially enforced by NVIDIA through their agreements with their partners. This TDP limit is 106% of Titan’s base TDP of 250W, or 265W. No matter what you throw at Titan or how you cool it, it will not let itself pull more than 265W sustained."

"Second, let’s talk about overvolting. What we didn’t realize on Tuesday but realize now is that overvolting as implemented in Titan is not overvolting in the traditional sense, and practically speaking I doubt too many hardcore overclockers will even recognize it as overvolting. What we mean by this is that overvolting was not implemented as a direct control system as it was on past generation cards, or even the NVIDIA-nixed cards like the MSI Lightning or EVGA Classified.

Overvolting is instead a set of two additional turbo clock bins, above and beyond Titan’s default top bin. On our sample the top bin is 1.625v, which corresponds to a 992MHz core clock. Overvolting Titan to 1.2 means unlocking two more bins: 1006MHz @ 1.175v, and 1019MHz @ 1.2v. Or put another way, overvolting on Titan involves unlocking only another 27MHz in performance."

So what about the reports of them running at ~1.2ghz?

Judgung by the Hexus review, I am somewhat dissapointed by the triple screen performance results.

In most cases (barring Sleeping Dogs and Dirt 3) it is around 10fps faster than a HD7970Ghz edition. Perhaps I was expecting too much, especially considering the price, but then maybe my expectations were too high?

The power consumption and noise levels are fantastic though.

Factoring in the cost I would rather turn a couple settings down on the AMD card (well that's actually what I do).

As an aside, considering the performance difference between Titan and the HD7970Ghz, I am left wondering whether AMD could counter with a cherry picked HD7970 "Uber OC" style card? Clocked at around 1300/7000 it could put up a good fight.

it would be noisy and hot as hell but that's a good point, it seems like it would match the titan in performance. amd said a few days ago that they're not worried about titan... i can now see why tbh

Back
Top Bottom