• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Official Geforce Titan review thread

Not really, it's extra performance thrown in.

OK,have you even looked at the link before replying??

Most review benches are open air and in air conditioned offices.

Hence they are cooler than most actual systems.

Now think of your case,especially after a few months of dust build-up?

So,yes it is a concern.

Edit!!

Also,high end SFF PC systems are being sold with Geforce Titan in them.

What about during summer then??

On top of the limited overclocking ability,the card is at the limits of its TDP it seems.

So,if you get a Geforce Titan,it needs to be kept cool.

Last edited:
After seeing the reviews i may have to keep my money in the bank for the time being untill the price goes down and performance goes up with hopefully more optimised drivers

The price is expensive, the U.S price is $999 just like the GTX690 which costs £800 on ocuk so i'd expect that price in 6 weeks time once the price gouging has ended. Other places sell the GTX690 for quite a lot less than £800 so give it a few weeks and you'll save quite a bit of cash.

You could buy a PS4 + Xbox 720 and have enough money for a decent gpu for this price. Apparently titan has TERRIBLE yields according to ocuk staff so don't expect the price to drop tons once the price gouging has ended.

@OP: you should change the topic title from:

OcUK Official Geforce Titan review thread
to:
*** OcUK Official Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan Review & Overclocking thread ***

The 6GB of memory could be handy now that the ps4 has 8gb of shared memory to play with, more pc ports will support better textures so 6GB will be nice.

Last edited:

So,yes it is a concern.

Edit!!

On top of the limited overclocking ability,the card is at the limits of its TDP it seems.

It is no more of a concern than Intel Turbo Boost tech.... it is an extra boost that the GPU does automatically depending on Thermal/Power constraints.

If the card does become thermally constrained e.g. because you have benching for hours on end then yes it probably will fall back to base clocks, but you are looking at a 2-3% difference at most judging by reviews.

Stop going on about SFF systems.... as I said in the other thread, this will fit in most SFFs, there is nothing faster or equivalent period...
690 is faster but will not fit
Ares is faster but will not fit
Anything Crossfire/SLI will not fit
7970 will likely fit but is 20% slower.

So,yes it is a concern.

Edit!!

It is no more of a concern than Intel Turbo Boost tech.... it is an extra boost that the GPU does automatically depending on Thermal/Power constraints.

If the card does become thermally constrained e.g. because you have benching for hours on end then yes it probably will fall back to base clocks, but you are looking at a 2-3% difference at most judging by reviews.

Stop going on about SFF systems.... as I said in the other thread, this will fit in most SFFs, there is nothing faster or equivalent period...
690 is faster but will not fit
Ares is faster but will not fit
Anything Crossfire/SLI will not fit
7970 will likely fit but is 20% slower.

Here are 2 examples with Anno 2070 and Battlefield 3 with a rapid test, test temperature stabilized and the same test but with the latter two 120mm fans positioned around the map:

Anno 2070: 75 fps -> 63 fps -> 68 fps
Battlefield 3: 115 fps -> 107 fps -> 114 fps

The drop in performance once the temperature reaches cruising can be considerable. Efficient cooling can partially compensate for this decline, but there not a contradiction in having to add noise to compensate for a graphics card is trying to remain discreet at all costs?

It also raises the issue of reliability of performance comparisons that you can read here and there, since this may be the big difference depending on the test conditions (ventilation card but wait or not temperature rise of the GPU for measurements) between extreme cases the gain is 19% in Anno 2070 and 7.5% in Battlefield 3!

The frequencies that we obtained in practice for two selected scenarios: limited to 889 MHz map without additional cooling / card capable of up to 1006 MHz with additional cooling. 3DMark is only able to maintain the highest frequencies through the loading time between scenes that allow the GPU never have time to reach 80 ° C.

3DMark Fire Strike: 889/1006 MHz
Unigne Heaven 4.0: 876/954 MHz
Unigne Valley 1.0: 876/954 MHz
1920 Alan Wake Max: 876/993 MHz
Alan Wake 2560 Very High: 837/928 MHz
2560 Alan Wake Max: 876/954 MHz
Anno 2070: 837/902 MHz
Assassin's Creed MSAA4x March 1920: 876/967 MHz
Assassin's Creed March 2560 FXAA HQ: 850/941 MHz
Assassin's Creed MSAA4x March 2560: 850/928 MHz
Batman Arkham City AA8x: 876/993 MHz
Batman Arkham City 2560 AA4x: 876/954 MHz
Battlefield March 1920 MSAA 4x: 876/993 MHz
Battlefield 3 2560: 850/928 MHz
Battlefield March 2560 MSAA 4x: 876/954 MHz
Civilization V AA8x 1920: 850/928 MHz
Civilization V AA4x 2560: 837/902 MHz
Civilization V AA8x 2560: 863/954 MHz
February 1920 Crysis Ultra: 876/993 MHz
February 2560 Crysis Extreme: 876/954 MHz
February 2560 Crysis Ultra: 863/967 MHz
DiRT Showdown 1920 Ultra: 876/954 MHz
DiRT Showdown 2560 Ultra AL OFF: 837/928 MHz
DiRT Showdown 2560 Ultra: 863/941 MHz
Far Cry AA4x March 1920: 876/954 MHz
Far Cry 3 2560: 850/928 MHz
Hitman Absolution: 876/993 MHz
Max Payne 3 4x AA: 876/954 MHz
Max Payne March 2560 NOAA: 850/941 MHz
Sleeping Dogs: 837/902 MHz
The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition: 876/954 MHz
Total War Shogun MSAA4x February 1920: 837/928 MHz
Total War Shogun February 2560 MLAA: 837/928 MHz
Total War Shogun February 2560 MSAA 4x: 837/901 MHz

Don't order me around,OK. I updated the GK104 thread and even the GK110 thread.

I have been building SFF systems since 2005,so yes thermal constraints are important.

Instead of making excuses,and maybe you forget people tend to play games for hours too. Maybe in your world people only run games for 10 minutes.

Look at JC2 for example:

http://img.hexus.net/v2/graphics_cards/nvidia/Titan/f343d/JC.png

15% to 20% would push the card down to GTX680 level.

A well known French website did the test,and look,it boosts more than what Nvidia says. So those performance figures are dependent on good cooling. It also appears the card in throttling under Anno2070 on a test bench.

If performance drops a decent amount it comes into the same league as cheaper cards which won't throttle in a SFF PC. Hence the user can get the same performance from a cheaper card in a SFF PC like a GTX680.

Bigger cases like the Bitfenix Prodigy might be fine,but they are not really not that small TBH.

If you don't get into your head,thats your problem.

Complain to that website then,why they actually bothered to do some additional testing.

Last edited:
Good thread Cat and hopefully won't end up as a slanging match.

Seems a bit late for that - again this thread has degenerated into posts that nobody is allowed to query, debate or have an opinion on, in much the same way the Rumours thread did.

I can't read french, and the google translation is poor - I'm not so blind-sided to think that nothing ever goes wrong with product launches and that NVIDIA or AMD or infallible, but no where else has the throttling issue cropped up?

In all honesty, a company stock rises and falls due to human intelligence/incompetence and as we all understand how fallible we are (unless you're not honest with yourself) then I think we can understand why both manufacturers have made good and bad decisions throughout our experiences. Why there is such fierce debate and personal feelings involved is beyond me though. I can see why Dana White gets passionate about the company he is promoting being that he is part owner.....

I can't wait till Greg gets these and we can see some honest benchmarks :D.

In all honesty, a company stock rises and falls due to human intelligence/incompetence and as we all understand how fallible we are (unless you're not honest with yourself) then I think we can understand why both manufacturers have made good and bad decisions throughout our experiences. Why there is such fierce debate and personal feelings involved is beyond me though. I can see why Dana White gets passionate about the company he is promoting being that he is part owner.....

You know it. I love benching and if they suck, I will let you all know.

I will do a mix of 1080P/5760*1080 and 3D at 5760*1080.

The price is expensive, the U.S price is $999 just like the GTX690 which costs £800 on ocuk so i'd expect that price in 6 weeks time once the price gouging has ended. Other places sell the GTX690 for quite a lot less than £800 so give it a few weeks and you'll save quite a bit of cash.

You could buy a PS4 + Xbox 720 and have enough money for a decent gpu for this price. Apparently titan has TERRIBLE yields according to ocuk staff so don't expect the price to drop tons once the price gouging has ended.

The price will go up and down depending on demand to so otherwise doesn't make good business sense as you don't want stock hanging around unsold.

You can trust us Essex boys.

Well...anyone else get the feeling of not only the launch of the "real" GTX680 got delay by a whole year (due to Nvidia pulled a fast one tossing us the 192-bit/256-bit cards and pushed up their teirs), but price tag being nearly at least £300 higher than it should be? :D

You know it. I love benching and if they suck, I will let you all know.

I will do a mix of 1080P/5760*1080 and 3D at 5760*1080.

Dear, dear Greg. If they suck you will let us all know but you didn't say when you'd tell us though). Good move, I like your work!!!. :D

I look forward to the benchmarks and appreciate it ;).

You can trust us Essex boys.

Please, I've seen ten minutes of an episode of TOWIE when I was with my ex, it was partly to do with why I left her (joke). :D

Back
Top Bottom